Is AT&T Insurance worth it?

Issemann

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Howdy folks. I purchased my HTC One through AT&T a few weeks back. I have 30 days before I need to decide whether or not to purchase their insurance plan.

Does anyone use their insurance plan? Is it worth the cost?

Thanks!! :)

friedtators

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Re: Is AT&T Insurance worth it?

Have you done the math? Cost, deductible, and result. Like return shipping, credit card holds, replacement quality. Worse will they cover issue?

andriver

May 1, 2013
Visit site

I have the AT&T insurance. I had my Atrix go south when it would not power up. I filed a claim via internet and they replaced it with a newer Atrix II. I got it the next day. I have my wife's Iphone 5 insured as well. It was worth it for me.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site

Insurance for any product is only worth it if you suffer a loss. Otherwise, we're just paying for peace of mind. :p

Pat Glennon

May 28, 2013
Visit site

we have 5 phones on our family's plan and outside of Apple Care+ for the iPhones on the plan I can't see the AT&T insurance making sense. The monthly cost and the deductible makes it VERY expensive were something to happen and with the 5 phones all with different upgrade times we are usually walking aroung with at least one phone that is eligible for an upgrade at any given time. Old phones go in a drawer and are available for short term use should something go wrong with somebody's phone and an upgrade is not available.

Has worked well for us so far. Fingers crossed.

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site

Personally, I think having insurance for your smartphone is a good idea when the retail cost is $500+ or more. I'm currently paying the $6.99 US per month for insurance on my HTC One, and even with the high $150 deductible I think it's worth it.

ItnStln

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Visit site

Insurance for any product is only worth it if you suffer a loss. Otherwise, we're just paying for peace of mind. :p

Personally, I think having insurance for your smartphone is a good idea when the retail cost is $500+ or more. I'm currently paying the $6.99 US per month for insurance on my HTC One, and even with the high $150 deductible I think it's worth it.

Both correct! For me, it's easier to pay the $6.99 a month plus a deductible, then it is to pay $699.99 for a phone.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

In short no. If your phone breaks then its better to just a Nexus device. And by the time it does break I would assume a new Nexus device would be out. But I guess it depends on your needs really. If you have issues getting $300 then the insurance might be worth it. But they do send you a refurb unless its still a new device out.

ItnStln

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Visit site

In short no. If your phone breaks then its better to just a Nexus device. And by the time it does break I would assume a new Nexus device would be out. But I guess it depends on your needs really. If you have issues getting $300 then the insurance might be worth it. But they do send you a refurb unless its still a new device out.

I actually didn't think of that idea...and that would work for me, especially since I don't live in an LTE area.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

I actually didn't think of that idea...and that would work for me, especially since I don't live in an LTE area.

same here and even if we did its not a deal breaker. HSPA+ in my area is about 10megs down.Fast enough for me. Also in the future I bet they Nexus GSM models will work on att's LTE at some point. I mean its coming down the pike at some point.

I see insurance more for someone like a college student or someone with very limted funds. I'm not saying poor people but people who like to keep the same device for 2-3 years. But at the end its really your choice! I just thought I would shed some light on what I do. :)

GrantB13

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site

I used to have it on my Inspire 4g. I broke the SIM card cover which also houses the antenna, so my signal went from passable to spotty in anything that wasn't strong signal. I called the insurance to see if anything could be done and the guy said it'd be a hundred whatever deductible. I told him nevermind because if I was going to cause $150 worth of damage to my Inspire, I could buy one in good condition for maybe less than that. He suggested I buy the part from Amazon, so I ended up getting two for $8. Now I know, it may have been my fault for assuming I could get a free cover, but I was paying $7 bucks a month for about 6 months. That's WELL more money I was giving to them than what it would cost them to give me a cover, so I dropped that crap and got a higher data package. I am very careful with my phones so for me, the insurance is a waste of money in all cases but total destruction of the phone.

I have the One now and if it screws up, I'd almost get a Nexus 4 despite it's camera not being good and lack of the One's speakers. I don't get LTE around me anyway, so it'd be almost no loss. Something still draws me to the Nexus but the One is so much better. I'd probably wait it out until the next Nexus comes out if I had to buy a new phone at retail price.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
with a $200 deductible plus your $7 a month insurance which I also have to add on tax which for my state is 21.5% that equals $8.50 a month for the insurance. So in a normal 2 year plan you'd pay $200 for insurance and then $200 to get the phone replaced. If your accident prone its probably a good idea. I don't get it because I usually can find stuff on craigslist plus I have 1 extra phone to hold me off for while.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Howdy folks. I purchased my HTC One through AT&T a few weeks back. I have 30 days before I need to decide whether or not to purchase their insurance plan.

Does anyone use their insurance plan? Is it worth the cost?

Thanks!! :)

Get it.

Especially with a one, the repairability on those phones is incredibly low, it got a 1 out of 10.

Screen breaks? You're SOL.

Phone drops out of your hand and falls into water - you're SOL.

someone snatches your phone and runs, you're SOL without insurance.

You'd then have to pay 600 bucks to replace it.

If you had insurance you'd pay less than 200.

It's just a smart move unless you have 600+ bucks just lying around the house at any given time to just spend on a new phone.

The phone essentially can't be fixed and we all know accidents happen. You'll run into a lot of snobs that say "just be careful with your phone and nothing will happen to it" but that doesn't take into account someone else messing your phone up, rain (I've seen someone lose a phone from rain before), or anything else that's impossible to predict.

Not to mention you walking with your phone and someone bumping into you hard causing the phone to drop. Not a result of you not being careful, but a fact of life.

Get the insurance. If got nothing else for peace of mind

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

ItnStln

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Visit site

same here and even if we did its not a deal breaker. HSPA+ in my area is about 10megs down.Fast enough for me. Also in the future I bet they Nexus GSM models will work on att's LTE at some point. I mean its coming down the pike at some point.

I see insurance more for someone like a college student or someone with very limted funds. I'm not saying poor people but people who like to keep the same device for 2-3 years. But at the end its really your choice! I just thought I would shed some light on what I do. :)

I don't mind the HSPA+ speeds really. I hope that the next Nexus has AT&T's LTE, but I am not sure if it will. If it does, will it be like the Nexus One which had a separate model for AT&T and T-Mobile's 3G, or will they make an antenna that'll have global LTE support? I am just wondering how they'll do it.

bkmerrick

May 24, 2013
Visit site

I use square trade. Ive filed a claim with them in the past without any problems. Its cheaper then ATT but they wont cover loss.

raksland

May 28, 2013
Visit site
No.. Get the Best Buy insurance.... 9.99 per month and no deductible... At&t you have a $150 deductible..

Posted via Android Central App