AT&T Visual Voicemail won't let me listen to new VM's when on WiFi?

taskmaxter

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Am I understanding this right? I've just moved from an iphone4 to an HTC One. Love the new phone, but really struggling with some of the integration with Android. The issue I'm seeing is that I want to use visual VM using the AT&T visual VM that comes with the phone but if I'm using wireless it tells me "Visual VM does not work with a Wi Fi connection. Turn mobile data on or call VM for messages". If I shut wireless off it works fine. This is crazy! If I'm at home on wireless and I see I have a new message - I cannot use the app unless I turn the wireless off on the phone - or hold the "1" key down to get VM's. I know Google Voice is an option, but I don't want everything running thru it with a different phone number, etc. Am I just using the AT&T wrong? If this is all that's available for handling Visual VM then I'm bummed. Really don't want to go back to my old iphone.

rpmccormick

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I know Google Voice is an option, but I don't want everything running thru it with a different phone number, etc.

Well, you don't have to use a different number with Google Voice. Calls to your normal cell number will still get forwarded to Google Voice for voicemail. Many people I know do that, and I used to as well before I converted everyone to my Google Voice number (it is worth it!). The good news for you is that for $10 you now have the option of porting your normal cell number to be your google voice number! Then you never have to worry about porting your number again, simply add any cell number to your Google Voice account, and that cell phone is now your phone.

taskmaxter

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Well, installed Google Voice. Didn't have a lot of luck to getting it to work. Pretty sure there is a setting someplace that needs to be set by me, but the funny thing is, once I installed it the AT&T Visual Voicemail app now works when WiFi is active. Weird!

leesumm

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
From what I undertand there are two different ATT visual voice mail. One costs a monthly charge after 30 days and another is in the app store and free. I use the free version from Google Play. It integrates into the dialer and works just fine and has been for the last two years. I don't think the ATT on the phone will connect with WiFi but the ATT visual VM works just fine on my WiFi at home.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87