iphone4 to HTC One new user

fizbang

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Switched from the iphone 4 to the HTC One several days ago....I actually switched to the Samsung Galaxy 4 for a day but after watching some comparison videos, wanted to try the HTC One so traded it out at an ATT store...first impressions were good, some things I miss from the iphone though....still learning my way around a bit on the HTC One but I think it's a keeper...

HTC One likes:

This screen is nearly as bright in daylight as indoors! HUGE improvement over the iphone here...
Beautiful display
Responsive , have not seen any lag in the OS
Feels great in the hand
I like the customizable newsfeed and content panels and how they visually look when you scroll thru them, although I would like to be able add my own stuff like local news apps and forums that I frequent
The stereo speakers are an improvement over the single iphone speaker, though the true audio quality at preamp level (into a large sound system) is about the same
I like the stock ringtones
I like the auto lyrics on the music player and the cool visualizations but why are there two music apps?

HTC One dislikes:

I miss the MUTE switch the iphone had and also the volume buttons being on the left, more natural to hit with your thumb and easier to tell which is UP and which is DOWN by feel vs. the HTC One, also don't understand why there is no volume slider on the display of the music app until you use the hard buttons apparently?

Battery life seems worse than the iphone 4, surprising ...and I hear Motorola has a phone coming out with purported 48 hrs life...there is also a new wireless power technology that will be coming down the pike soon I think, so maybe battery life will soon be irrelevant

One hand use is a bit more difficult , not because of the size, but because the fleshy part of my palm below the thumb comes in contact with the screen when I use my thumb sometimes,so it doesn't scroll,etc until I lift it off. Did not have this problem with the iphone

Games , I have noticed, do NOT look as good as they do on the iphone...Not extremely worse mind you, but enough to notice....example Dice with Buddies just flat out looks more professionally put together and astonishingly runs smoother and faster on the iphone. This is probably more the programming differences between iOS and Android I'm sure..

I hate anything redundant , so I don't really like having the time already at the very top of the phone AND in giant font size again below it...I know this can be removed but I haven't found anything as cool yet to replace it with..

Is there no SIRI equivalent? So far, I've only found the google search app with microphone,....SIRI seems far more refined and accurate than the Google equivalent, which most times just spits out Google search results, whereas SIRI gives a sort of customized display of the results

Amazingly, I think the iphone virtual keyboard, despite the smaller size of the phone, is actually BIGGER or more accurately , has more space between keys and is less prone to hitting the wrong key than that the HTC One...maybe there is some customization for it I'm not yet aware of?

One truly bizarre thing I've noticed about a couple of apps....I'm addicted to 'Bubble Galaxy' game that I played on the iphone with friends....I downloaded what I thought was the Android equivalent...same name,etc...but, all it appears to be is pages of advertising for OTHER games, apps,etc to buy or download...there is no actual game to play! waaah??

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

fizbang

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! As for Siri equivalents, here are a couple of links about Google Now voice commands:

Getting the most out of Google Now voice actions | Android Central
https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/2842392?hl=en

There are a lot of Siri alternatives for Android. As you can imagine, not all of them are good. Maluuba seems to get some good reviews. You can find a lot more by Googling "Android Siri alternatives" or searching Google Play for "Siri."

thanks, I'll keep tinkering with it.....also, how do I change the screen from going to black after only 10 seconds, requiring me to have to constantly hit the top button (another dislike I'm finding, is putting this heavily used button on the top as opposed to the side for easier one hand use, ...maybe a minor point if I can get the phone to stop going black after 10 seconds of non-use)...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Different brand phones may have slightly different menus, but on my Razr Maxx, I go to Settings/Display/Sleep, and can select how long the phone waits while idle before the screen turns off.

andog88

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
thanks, I'll keep tinkering with it.....also, how do I change the screen from going to black after only 10 seconds, requiring me to have to constantly hit the top button (another dislike I'm finding, is putting this heavily used button on the top as opposed to the side for easier one hand use, ...maybe a minor point if I can get the phone to stop going black after 10 seconds of non-use)...

its in settings then display i believe. i just bought the One today and mines on its first charge right now.

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
cool, i switched from an iphone 4 to a htc one also.
my htc one is unlocked version at&t.
i agree with you about bad battery, my htc one can last 6 hours only by broswing and light usage

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781