HTC One Camera Issues-Geek Squad Complaint

Cheryl Schultheis

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I bought the HTC One about 4 months ago at Best Buy and purchased the 2 year Geek Squad Protection. And just like a lot of you I started having problems with the camera soon after. I took the phone to Geek Squad and they said they could back order a new one, approximately 21 days wait, and I was ok with that. I get a call from them about a week and a half later saying that they have chosen to "Junk It" and I could go in the store and switch it for a new phone. After I thought about it a while I called back and asked if the new phone had a different camera in it etc, and they said they didn't know I'd have to come in to ask. (FYI:They still didn't know when I came in and asked.)

A few days had past and I decided I had the time (and a babysitter) so I called Geek Squad and they said I had the option of replacing it with the same phone or getting something else. I verified over the phone that they had 8 in stock of the HTC One-Black and they said it would be no problem to just switch it out. I went in talked to customer service and they started the paperwork and took me over to the mobile dept. so they could help me with getting a new phone. The guy got my info and switched them out then asked me if I wanted to purchase the Geek Squad protection on the phone. I said No I already have it, we paid for a 2 year plan. He proceeded to tell me that since the phone was a "Junk It" then the protection dies with the phone. (UNACCEPTABLE...We were told that the phone would be switched out with no issues when we purchased the plan. If your phone falls in the toilet you bring it in and they order a new one, within 2-3 days you'll have a new one. They switch it out and you are done. Protection is good for 2 years. If it wouldn't have been this simple there is no way I would buy it!) The guy I'm working with asks another guy and they are in agreement and I am not happy. At this point I say I was happy to wait to get a new phone can I still get my old phone back and wait till the manufacturer fixes their issues and bring it in later for a replacement. They said No, and reiterated things they had already told me. I get the manager and 3 other employees huddled in a corner so I can't hear them and they discuss my issue. The employee comes back to me and explains that the manufacturer is not keeping up with the demand of getting the phones fixed so some people get their phones fixed others get theirs Junked and I was picked for a "Junk It", and that the protection plan dies with the phone but they will prorate back to me the unused portion of the Geek Squad Protection Plan. (Aha...this was not offered to me before now.)

My next questions is how much will I get back. I'd like to know before I agree to purchase it again. After more discussion they finally type it into the computer and the manager turns around and makes a phone call, later I find out that the computer would not prorate it like it should hence the phone call. The manager of Geek Squad finds out, per the phone conversation, that they no longer offer to give back a prorated amount for the plan, hence the reason the computer was not doing it. He was very calm, but he showed he was not happy about it since he has not seen any paperwork showing that their policy has changed. He also told them that he would have to find another way to make it right with his customer. He crunched some numbers and offered to give me back the money or credit the prorated amount towards the new plan. I told him that this was still unacceptable because I was going to have to pay the $30 difference that would restart my plan for the 2 years. I let him talk to my husband on the phone about it because I figured he could handle it better than I could. My husband gave him 2 options, the first was they could refund the prorated amount to us and we would not be back to their store. The second was basically that they could eat the extra $30 and give us the protection plan anyways. The manager said that he would speak to the Store Manager and see what they could do. He came back and told the employee to get on the computer and ring up the plan for no cost. I was finally a little relieved but for having to deal with it for 2 hours I almost think they should have done more. (I suppose the store had to eat the entire cost of the Geek Squad Protection Plan since the policy changed, so I guess that makes it a little better.)

I know this is long, but I wanted people to be aware of what was going on with the phone. And also to inform you of the Geek Squad Protection information. This just happened yesterday and the camera, so far, is still working correctly. If I have any other issues with the phone I will be going through HTC first!

regor60

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Congratulations on getting your pound of flesh but just be aware that this is how insurance works and you weren't being ripped off. The price of the insurance covers the risk of damage, including the risk of replacing the phone. Which they did.

But the price of the original plan wouldn't have covered their risk of having to pay out on a second phone were it to fail also. The 2 year plan is tied to the phone you purchased it for...it's if anything happens to the phone within a 2 year period.

Cheryl Schultheis

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
The paperwork we received clearly states that it is not insurance for one. And it was explained to us that we could continue to use the plan even after a replacement was given. Perhaps the replacement is generally a refurbished phone not a new phone, but it does not say that in the initial paperwork explaining the plan.

regor60

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Not trying to beat you up, but if your paperwork looks anything like the terms and conditions shown here:

http://www.geeksquad.com/uploadedFi..._Squad_Protection_TsandCs_9_01_13_English.pdf

on page 2, the terms say

"Our obligations under this Plan will be fulfilled in their entirety if we replace your product with a new or
refurbished product, or issue you a voucher or gift card pursuant to these terms and conditions."

This is not surprising language

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad