Why there no co-ordination among apps in Android ?

ilikeandroid123

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I am using HTC for last three years . Now using HTC one AT&T edition. I observed something on my phone. But I am not very sure it's really issue with Andorid OS or just I am overlooking some setting. The issue is when I am playing music on my phone and at the same time If I try to place a call on skype using skype app , the music player is not going to pause. The same issue when I am playing music through apps like spority , If I get a call on my network at the same time , then the music player still playing. Is it a some setting I am missing or is it a issue with android?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I am using HTC for last three years . Now using HTC one AT&T edition. I observed something on my phone. But I am not very sure it's really issue with Andorid OS or just I am overlooking some setting. The issue is when I am playing music on my phone and at the same time If I try to place a call on skype using skype app , the music player is not going to pause. The same issue when I am playing music through apps like spority , If I get a call on my network at the same time , then the music player still playing. Is it a some setting I am missing or is it a issue with android?

Welcome to the forums. Are you using the stock music player?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Golfdriver97 for your quick reply. I am using Google Android native music player.

Ok. If you open Play Music, and swipe to the left (or hit the menu at the upper left hand corner) there is a section for send feedback. I would tell them what is happening.

ilikeandroid123

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Ok. If you open Play Music, and swipe to the left (or hit the menu at the upper left hand corner) there is a section for send feedback. I would tell them what is happening.

I didn't see feed back option in the skype app settings. I have seen it for fewer apps only. I am curious because I am starting on android course , I have a question does google provide this API to co-ordinate among the apps and app developers who develops these kind of apps doesn't care about all these aspects?

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Android apps can monitor for changes in phone state (such as calls incoming or ending) using the READ_PHONE_STATE permission. Check that link for what everyone should know about the permission.

This permission, as far as I'm aware, applies to the default dialer application only. This means that apps won't be notified when Skype enters or exits a call, and as a result music isn't paused when making calls within Skype.

There are separate methods apps use for monitoring and acquiring "audio focus," but I'm not sure if Skype has implemented them in their app.

ilikeandroid123

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Android apps can monitor for changes in phone state (such as calls incoming or ending) using the READ_PHONE_STATE permission. Check that link for what everyone should know about the permission.

This permission, as far as I'm aware, applies to the default dialer application only. This means that apps won't be notified when Skype enters or exits a call, and as a result music isn't paused when making calls within Skype.

There are separate methods apps use for monitoring and acquiring "audio focus," but I'm not sure if Skype has implemented them in their app.

Yes Patrick. It's perfectly fine with native apps. But I see in Apple OS this doesn't happen . They are all very well co-ordinated.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Yes Patrick. It's perfectly fine with native apps. But I see in Apple OS this doesn't happen . They are all very well co-ordinated.

I don't frequently use Skype on Android, so I can't speak to this particular case beyond what I've already posted about the phone state permission. I don't have any grievances with Android apps "coordinating," as you say, but my guess is that the improvements you're looking for fall to the developer (i.e. Microsoft) rather than Android itself. For example, GrooVe IP correctly requests audio focus when placing or receiving VoIP calls.

As for Android apps "coordinating" beyond the scope of audio, the Intents system is the part of Android that enables apps to communicate with, share data between, and call components of, each other. The new Storage Access Framework builds on this to provide a consistent interface for apps to make their data (whether local or cloud-sourced) available to any other compatible apps on the device. It's something that iOS could really use: iOS 8 wants: Files.app + DocumentPicker, because file handling on iPhone and iPad has hit a brick wall | iMore

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay