Best Rom for Inspire

Simba501

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to root my Inspire,but I'd like to have everything I need, i.e. backup, ROM. What is the best Gingerbread Rom available?

Depends on what you want. If you want Sense, then I'd recommend Virtuous Unity (it's gotten rave reviews). It has Sense 3.0, which is found on the Sensation. If you want AOSP, I'd recommend GingerBeast. If you're looking for a themed ROM, go with Honeysense HD (looks great) or CM7, which has a lot of theming options.

At any rate, you'll find several others here.

I'd recommend reading up on this before you get started.

Good luck.

Reactions: Marvin.Martian

clintrojan

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
If you want a new experience then I recommend MIUI. I love it. All the other Roms felt too similar and I wondered why I even bothered to root and flash a Rom.

MIUI is a new experience IMO...

nickmatteis

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
ive used miui, a sense 3.0 rom, and now im currently on CM7 (using launcher pro... HATE ADW) but i wanted just the stock gingerbread rom without any of the gimmicks that all these roms have. i have yet to find that rom..

Jalarm

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
ive used miui, a sense 3.0 rom, and now im currently on CM7 (using launcher pro... HATE ADW) but i wanted just the stock gingerbread rom without any of the gimmicks that all these roms have. i have yet to find that rom..

I heard CM7 is pretty laggy on the inspire, hows your experience?

nickmatteis

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I heard CM7 is pretty laggy on the inspire, hows your experience?

theres a few glitches, mainly with the gallery (thats all ive seen so far)
and ill always get force close pop ups for apps that i havent even run yet (could be a problem with my back-ups)

but otherwise its smooth

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I finally rooted my Inspire (wasn't as hard as I imagined). I used the newest hack-ace. Once I figured out where to put the goldcard image it went without a hitch. :)
I'm still nervous about flashing a new ROM. I've read several "How to" posts and they mention creating a Custom Recovery. I'm still not sure what they're talking about?? Can someone please "clue me in" in plain english?

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I finally rooted my Inspire (wasn't as hard as I imagined). I used the newest hack-ace. Once I figured out where to put the goldcard image it went without a hitch. :)
I'm still nervous about flashing a new ROM. I've read several "How to" posts and they mention creating a Custom Recovery. I'm still not sure what they're talking about?? Can someone please "clue me in" in plain english?

Find a rom you want to use and download it. Name it PD98IMG.zip, if it already isn't, and place it on the root of your SD card. Make sure you have no other files on the root of the SD card with that name. Go to the settings>power menu and turn off fastboot. Power down your phone. Restart by holding the power button and volume down rocker at the same time. This will take you to H-boot where it will auto scan for the PD98IMG file and attempt to install it. Agree to it and it will flash the rom. If your new rom doesn't install ROM Manager, go to the market and install it. In ROM Manager, you will want to flash your recovery under Flash CWM Recovery. At anytime, you can create a nand backup under Manage & Restore Backups. You will be able to flash this backup while in recovery, should you get into trouble or just want to revert to a previous rom while maintaining user apps, settings, and data.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk

outfieldgrass

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
When I first rooted my Inspire I tried Android Revolution and then Virtuous Unity. I will use nothing but VU now. Great ROM. The phone is quick and battery life is great. Definitely the one to try.

frmorrison

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
The most popular ROM (overall for Android) is CM7. I believe the most popular Inspire specific ROM is Android Revolution

Last edited:
May 9, 2011
Visit site
If your new rom doesn't install ROM Manager, go to the market and install it. In ROM Manager, you will want to flash your recovery under Flash CWM Recovery. At anytime, you can create a nand backup under Manage & Restore Backups. You will be able to flash this backup while in recovery, should you get into trouble or just want to revert to a previous rom while maintaining user apps, settings, and data.

I have ROM Manager. I've heard the mSd card needs to be formatted and when you flash the ROM, it'll erase everything (contacts, passwords, etc.) in phone memory as well as the card. :-\ Is that correct?

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I have ROM Manager. I've heard the mSd card needs to be formatted and when you flash the ROM, it'll erase everything (contacts, passwords, etc.) in phone memory as well as the card. :-\ Is that correct?

Unless you are flashing an update to a rom, it is good general practice to do a full wipe. This is why it is essential to have a good backup app(s). Depending on the rom you are flashing, it may do the wipe for you, otherwise you would need to manually do it. Flashing a rom does not touch the SD card and you do not need to format the SD card just to flash a rom.

Reactions: Marvin.Martian

kmlopez

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Could someone direct me to the step by step rooting instructions for the inspire? Do you necessarily have to use a pc when doing it?
Also, has any rooted and went to another service provider? If so, which provider and how's it working?