I apologize for asking a question that has surely been asked before, but when I searched the threads, all of the advice I got included instructions that perhaps were too old, as they did not fit what I was seeing on my new phone.

A few days ago I entered my first few contacts in Google My Contacts. These downloaded to my phone just fine. They were in the order I had entered them, not the alphabletical order of the display on my desktop Google account.

Today I entered the rest of the contacts from my flip phone into Google My Contacts. These also downloaded, some of them alphabetically interfiled with the original entries and some not. Now I have more contacts than I want to scan through, my most-called numbers are not at the top, and the contacts are not quite in alphabeltical order.

My next idea was to go back to My Contacts and put all of the contacts in folders. It would be an advantage to me to see only the folders when I press the Phone button, as I have already made several calls while fishing the phone out of my pocket and getting it where I could see the screen. One more screen press might reduce this error, which I hope I will outgrow. So, I put the contacts in folders, leaving nothing in My Contacts. After a short while the folders downloaded to the phone, with the contacts in them, but the original phone listings are still just like they were.

I would like to do one of two things. Either arrange the phone listings in my preferred order, which I did on the flip phone by putting a space in front of the entries that I wanted to have at the top of the list (this does not work in My Contacts). Or, have only the folders show up when I press the Phone button, so I'll have my contacts organized the way I want and maybe quit calling my stepmother accidentally quite as often while I am learning to use this phone.

I'd also like to delete the empty folders that came installed on the phone. I tried hard-pressing them, but no trash can shows up to drag them to.

As usual, I would appreciate your help.
    07-14-2011 02:48 PM
    I apologize for asking a question that has surely been asked before, but when I searched the threads, all of the advice I got included instructions that perhaps were too old, as they did not fit what I was seeing on my new phone.

A few days ago I entered my first few contacts in Google My Contacts. These downloaded to my phone just fine. They were in the order I had entered them, not the alphabletical order of the display on my desktop Google account.

Today I entered the rest of the contacts from my flip phone into Google My Contacts. These also downloaded, some of them alphabetically interfiled with the original entries and some not. Now I have more contacts than I want to scan through, my most-called numbers are not at the top, and the contacts are not quite in alphabeltical order.

My next idea was to go back to My Contacts and put all of the contacts in folders. It would be an advantage to me to see only the folders when I press the Phone button, as I have already made several calls while fishing the phone out of my pocket and getting it where I could see the screen. One more screen press might reduce this error, which I hope I will outgrow. So, I put the contacts in folders, leaving nothing in My Contacts. After a short while the folders downloaded to the phone, with the contacts in them, but the original phone listings are still just like they were.

I would like to do one of two things. Either arrange the phone listings in my preferred order, which I did on the flip phone by putting a space in front of the entries that I wanted to have at the top of the list (this does not work in My Contacts). Or, have only the folders show up when I press the Phone button, so I'll have my contacts organized the way I want and maybe quit calling my stepmother accidentally quite as often while I am learning to use this phone.

I'd also like to delete the empty folders that came installed on the phone. I tried hard-pressing them, but no trash can shows up to drag them to.

I'm not sure your question has been asked before. But after reading what you want to do I don't believe it can be done.

Sent from my ThunderBolt using Tapatalk
    Judy android likes this.
    07-14-2011 11:27 PM

Thanks to the Inspire manual that showed up online, I've answered my last question above -- I can't delete the empty folders that come with the phone. However, I can reorder the People folders, so I put the ones I use at the top. That helps some. Then I devoted a whole home screen to the two folders I use most often, in single-column vertical format.

I found that it is a bad idea to leave the My Contacts folder empty, because when I deleted a contact from a sub-folder, it was gone gone, and I had to re enter it in Google.

At some point I was able to click a button while looking at My Contacts and they are now in alphabetical order.

So, I'd still like to know if there is a way to trick the order of the list (as I used to do on the flip phone by putting a space in front of the names), to put the most-called contacts at the top of the list.
    07-16-2011 12:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD