Phone Number instead of Contact Name

BenjaSands

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
of course u could root and run coredroid 7.6.. :)

Hmmm this problem is frustrating me as simple as it seems. Especially because when I "re save" a contact to make their name come up after a restart of my phone it goes back to the number and I have to do it again :confused:

I have always tried to shy away from rooting especially since I was told once by an ATT employee that doing it "voids your warranty" ...but man I am conflicted now!

BenjaSands

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
My little sister told me there was an update to her phone. I knew it was GB because it was supposed to be coming, so I told her to update. Oops.. now she's bugging me all the time because of this very issue. She doesn't like GB because of this irritating problem (and 1 or 2 other issues but I don't remember what she said about them). How long until HTC releases a statement and an ETA for a new upgrade/fix? :-(

And even with the fix of battery pulls or editing and re-saving the contacts, it comes right back.

I dont think so...and this problem is still happening with me. It has to do with the number not being "verified" I think...and then re editing, calling or texting "verifies" it some sort of way I think...but like I said it messes up again after a restart of the phone so....

And I also noticed whenever you sync Google, Facebook, Twitter or anything like this it can also make it happen (adding twitter or facebook has the number listed twice in your Text convo and is also rather annoying) .... the problem with this is My Contacts are synced to my google so I really dont know what to do.

All this is confusing but I am not sure if enough people are experiencing this problem to where they would make a fix...I hope im wrong.

shansmi

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
rooting is just software. there is a procedure to unroot if you really need to return a device because of hardware. I waited a bit before rooting but then I thought back over all the phones I have had and not once have I returned a device because of software.

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I contacted HTC and they are aware of the various problems and say they're working on a patch that they'll be sending out. Seems like they rushed the update out without making sure it was fully functioning.

Reactions: Jonneh

BenjaSands

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
rooting is just software. there is a procedure to unroot if you really need to return a device because of hardware. I waited a bit before rooting but then I thought back over all the phones I have had and not once have I returned a device because of software.

hmmmmm interesting

seshomaru7

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Easy fix that worked for me.

Go in and copy all your contacts that sync with your Yahoo, FB, Google, etc. to your sim card. In your people list, uncheck your view sim contacts. (So you won't show all your contacts twice.)

Go back in to view your texts. It should now match your texts with the contacts on your sim. Oddly it seems to not see your Yahoo, FB, Google, etc. contacts' names when a text comes in. So it shows the number.

Can anyone verify this temp. fix for me?

Last edited:

seshomaru7

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Well this worked for me...for one day... After I had to turn the phone on (from it turning itself off...again) the messages went back to numbers only, with contacts on my SIM card.

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
As I posted in another thread, there are a few things you can do to temporarily bring the names up. There is no true fix. You can use a third party app, but I don't like those. They look like they are geared towards teenagers. It is not unreasonable to expect the stock messaging app to function as it should.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk

longn9k

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I tried your suggestion but nothing. Yesterday the way I fixed it was by deleting a contact from my Contacts and then adding them again...and it worked.

But today with a friend I tried it and nothing. All sort of ways. The odd thing is now his name will not come out any sort of way even though I have his number saved.

I click his number (thats blue) and it brings me to a screen that on the top says "Verify the phone number" and then it has a space with a number and an X all the way to the right.
with the options "Call" "Send Message" and "Open Contact" below....

Any idea if maybe I have to do something here?

I have the same problem....... all I do is click open contact and it brings up the persons name. then click the back button and the name will appear instead of the number. If you delete the tewxt thread you will have to do it again.

whiskeygirl2124

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I have found that if you have a email also saved for the contact and it says "primary" beside it...once i deleted the email info and saved it no more number was found by the name in my text conversation list. Also un-link from Facebook helps to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae