07-10-2013 10:19 AM
26 12
tools
    Has anyone else noticed that after updating to GB your GPS has sucked! Before GB, my GPS was ok, but now, it's completely useless. Yesterday, I was driving across Lake Washington, no trees, no buildings, clear blue sky, couldn't get a lock to save my life. No case on my phone either.
    08-25-2011 10:25 AM
    I thought this was just me. I was in Reading, PA a couple of weeks ago and could not get a GPS signal for about 45 minutes. When I was on Froyo and went up there I had no problems. I was in a heavy wooded area at first, but it still should have found a signal after I got out at worst.
    08-25-2011 12:56 PM
    Ya. Between the case knocking down the signal I found by searching here at XDA the way to make things better is to install GPS Status and the within that apps options turn off GPS filtering. Makes things MUCH better.
    08-25-2011 07:29 PM
    Before the GB update by Inspire would always get great GPS signal. Now, it seems I am getting the "Searching for GPS signal" thing more often
    08-28-2011 11:41 PM
    if you are rooted, it could be the radio load and RIL. I learned this last night myself. Now all is good.
    08-29-2011 08:44 PM
    My phone is not rooted and I didn't use a case on my phone. Anyone have any idea what would cause this GPS suckiness?
    08-29-2011 10:47 PM
    Don't know what would cause it, but I would +1 shansmi's recommendation above to install "GPS Status" and turn off filtering, or at least lower the filter strength. I upgraded to GB pretty much as soon as I got my Inspire, so I can't compare how GPS was before, but after installing "GPS Status" I did notice that I would get a GPS lock faster than I did prior.
    08-30-2011 12:27 AM
    Have you tried GPS Status? It will show you the satellites seen by your phone, allow you to remove weak signal filtering and re-download AGPS data... The app does not require root.
    08-30-2011 07:48 AM
    Mine works fine, used all last week on the N.C. Outer Banks and for the evacuation. If anything it was better than before since there is a 'nightime' view where the map darkens.
    08-30-2011 12:38 PM
    +1 also on.. install "GPS Status" thingy works good now
    08-30-2011 04:00 PM
    +1 also on.. install "GPS Status" thingy works good now
    What did you do clear data, download data, remove the filter or all of the above?
    08-30-2011 11:17 PM
    Well one thing I thought of is that if you do not have any data bars, you can't use the GPS, as the GPS uses data.
    08-31-2011 07:35 PM
    Untrue. The map is downloaded over the data connection. You can turn off everything else but the GPS and still use GPS based tools that do not require downloading data of any kind.
    08-31-2011 07:39 PM
    Untrue. The map is downloaded over the data connection. You can turn off everything else but the GPS and still use GPS based tools that do not require downloading data of any kind.
    Sure, but you still need the data to download the map. So, if there is no map loading, then there is the problem. Otherwise, it could be that the GPS is just timing out or that it is polarized to a certain direction. Trying pointing it in another direction maybe?
    08-31-2011 07:43 PM
    No. It can be used as a compass with several tools and many map apps that pull data from the SD card. The point is the GPS works just fine without the cellular or WiFi radios enabled.
    08-31-2011 09:50 PM
    I've noticed better GPS performance since the Gingerbread update, usually now seeing 10 - 11 'birds' in the GPS Status app, and accuracy down to 2m at times. Prior to GB, my GPS performance was only marginally better then my retired Captivate. (SMS, however, is broken, and I've resorted to installing GO SMS Pro as a workaround.)
    09-02-2011 09:23 AM
    SMS/MMS is a known issue with 2 workarounds... Disable the extra address books and if necessary hit the phone nubmer to call the contact but hit "end call" before the call is actually made. There is a fix in the works.
    09-02-2011 08:20 PM
    Downloaded GPS Status. When I go to work, I will see how it helped. I set filtering to LOW.
    09-03-2011 12:05 PM
    Set it to none.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk
    09-03-2011 03:20 PM
    Are you sure? It says that the lower the filter, the less stable the connection.
    09-03-2011 09:31 PM
    mine has been crappy on froyo and a little better on GB. and i'm in NYC with towers everywhere. i thought it was the inspire or AT&T but then i got a droid pro for a work phone and it's crap on google nav as well. all my problems seem to be in google navigation and not maps. in maps i can usually get my location quick.

makes me think this is a google nav bug. it's so bad it's a joke for my wife when the phone says GPS signal lost. she has an iphone 4

A kick $180 a month to AT&T and i came up for an upgrade after 6 months with my inspire so it's a new SGS 2 for me or a new iphone 5. thinking of going back to iphone and just buy tomtom or navigon which downloads all the maps to the phone
    09-04-2011 05:59 PM
    Yes I am sure. If the change is negative you can change it back. All that means is your dev is able to se the weaker signals.
    09-04-2011 10:10 PM
    I tried it today in my car. I found that it only locked on to the cell towers unless my phone was on the dashboard with no metal in its way. They really mean it when HTC says you need a clear view of the sky for the GPS to work.
    09-05-2011 09:36 PM
    +1

I never had GPS lock problem with Froyo. But with GB i've stated experiencing problems with locking GPS signal at the same usual places i've been visiting.

Does GB implement GPS handling differently that Froyo?
    09-11-2011 11:33 PM
    It seems that the GPS on this phone does not seem to work that good anyway. I noticed that it takes longer to find gps signal if it even does. Most of the time I get the attached photo.
    09-12-2011 02:24 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD