GPS - showing wrong location

indyfuse

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I have a HTC Inspire 4G - Out of nowhere today, my phone GPS was showing me in San Diego; probelm is I llive in Indiana.
I first thought it was my weather widget having an issue. But I dug deeper and all my apps (facebook, maps, naviagation, etc.) that use GPS are indicating me to be in San Diego.

Las night, I downloaded the Amazon Store app and 3 games from Amazon. Worked fine until this morning, when I noticed my time was 3 hours behind and I was viewing the temp for San Diego.

Any thoughts on cause and resolutuion?

brad_wp

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Is it your GPS that is actually off, or just the cell network location?

My guess is that it's a cell tower problem. Try going outside and opening Google Maps, and wait for an actual GPS lock. This might take way longer than usual because your phone is getting aGPS data for the west coast, so it might take a little longer to pick up enough satelites.

If it's actually a GPS issue then something very screwy is going on. Your best solution either way would be to a complete shut-down, and remove the battery for 30 seconds or so. Another thing you can try is an App like GPS Status that lets you delete the aGPS data and do a "Cold Start" of your GPS.

thinksInCode

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
It could also be a WiFi location problem. I recently ran into this problem with all my Android devices when I moved to my new house and got Verizon FiOS. Google has location data for wireless access points across the country, and for some reason mine was shown as being in Pennsylvania. After a few weeks, it corrected itself (presumably it got updated data).

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I have a HTC Inspire 4G - Out of nowhere today, my phone GPS was showing me in San Diego; probelm is I llive in Indiana.

Your phone thinks you need a vacation:p

Seriously, though, you should always do a restart of your phone when it seems to be acting strange. No battery pull necessary the first time. Just hold the power button and choose restart. Give it time to fully restart. I've noticed it takes a little longer to show icons from apps on your SD card properly. If that doesn't fix it, then you need to get more invasive.

Diane Champion

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
OK WAS THIS AFTER THE OTA UPDATE??? If so back up what you can and do a system restore

My phone is driving me crazy also. Its a straight talk android and runs off AT&T towers. Sometimes it says I'm in Irondale Al and sometimes it says I'm in Leeds Al but I'm not I'm in Oneonta Al. No where near them two places.

Jason Reno

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Fix for the Weather Clock Widget:

Open Google Play Store/Android Market > Search & download “GPS Status & Toolbox” app by “MobiWIA – EclipSim” > Open app, click the menu icon (at bottom), tools, Manage A-GPS state, and Reset > Exit app

Go to either a blank or low populated page > hold to open the menu to add widgets > search for “Weather Clock 4x2” and drag to add to that blank or low populated page > Exit to homepage.
Go to Menu > Settings > Scroll down to “Apps” > Go to “ALL” page > Scroll down to or search for “Weather Clock Widget” > Open icon, wait for it to compute the data info, and select “Clear data” > Exit to homepage.

Go to the page with the “Weather Clock 4x2” widget you added > Hold widget icon and drag to remove (the homepage and this icon are link data-wise, but you cannot remove the homepage widget icon on “The New HTC One” device…apparently it may be removable on other HTC One versions) > Restart phone.

Fixed! If not contact HTC Customer Support at 1-866-449-8358 Mon-Fri 8am-5pm CST or contact your carrier for international HTC One users.

raduandutza1793

Jan 29, 2017
Visit site
I have an lg k8 and today while i was at work it showed that i gone to a place i didn t even heard of until my partner had a go at me for leaving work and cheating for half an hour . i didn t even leave the care home. I don t know how to explain this. He really thinks i m cheating. Which is wrong coz i stayed indoors for 12 h shift. How do i explain that?

Joanna Hargis

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
My samsung s7 and my husband's is showing San Diego also since mid afternoon Friday. All GPS related apps are wrong. The time and location of yesterday's Facebook posts that I posted myself are wrong also. Showing mid morning times for after 2:00 in the afternoon. Did we have a global EMF event yesterday? How do we fix this? Servicer, AT&T.

Last edited:

MikeSGS8

Jun 24, 2017
Visit site
All my devices are showing that i am in Columbus Ohio (about 250 miles away) amazingly they all show the same area in Columbus. I’m with Verizon, I've got a samsung GS8, GS7 edge, And a galaxy tab pro. Any ideas?

SURESH MEESALA

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
Re: GPS - sh

I first thought it was my weather widget having an issue. But I dug deeper and all my apps (facebook, maps, naviagation, etc.) that use GPS are indicating me to be in San Diego.

Las night, I downloaded the Amazon Store app and 3 games from Amazon. Worked fine until this morning, when I noticed my time was 3 hours behind and I was viewing the temp for San Diego.

Any thoughts on cause and resolutuion?

Thanks for your doubt & full scenario....
Even i was facing the same problem till i saw this question.
answer & solution both are in your question only.....

the "Time Zone"

Change the same as per your location manually in time & date settings of your phone.

Problem will get resolved.

Jazzmin333

Jan 4, 2019
Visit site
Re: GPS - sh

My phone is doing this to. I've turned it on and off and have taken the battery out. I've checked the location settings to make sure it was right. Nothing is working. What can I do?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2