AT&T Throttling me for 2 gigs use

Richillion

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Yep last month I got the warning at 1.6gig and reduced speed at 2gigs in ny. they are targeting people who have unlimited data it should be a crime. Its totally bias, they gave it to us and now they are making things unreasonable and deliberately making data un useable. I say everyone should use all the data humanly possible and just stream on the network.

JRDEMASKUS

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Streaming music and video is exactly what they don't want you to do, wasting bandwidth for entertainment.
Your just asking to be throttled.
They don't care what their service is supposed to provide, you are wasting it when they need it the most to keep me happy, checking E-mail and reading news for 15min during break.
Take your business somewhere else and see what happens. Same exact thing I would bet.
Stop whining and be responsible with their limited resources till we can build out the system more and get ahead of demand, if we ever can.
Did you see how many smart phones and internet devices get sold every day! You think you are the only one on this system?

Last edited by a moderator:

njd915

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
U get throttled to top 5% based on your area....you get an initial alert...and then a warning..and then...the actual conservative code applies to your line..in order to start the throttle

Bwild

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I'd like to think this will all blow over in a couple months, and att will come to their senses and my unlimitedplan will be legit again. Because I had my heart set on the galaxy note and lte just made it to my area... But one thing I have realized is that good customers service is not really part of their agenda so I'll probably make the move to Verizon soon... If att keeps this up, next thing you hear tmobile will be the one buying THEM out!

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Streaming music and video is exactly what they don't want you to do, wasting bandwidth for entertainment.
They don't care what their service is supposed to provide, you are wasting it when they need it the most to keep me happy, checking E-mail and reading news for 15min during break.
Take your business somewhere else and see what happens. Same exact thing I would bet.
Stop whining and be responsible with their limited resources till we can build out the system more and get ahead of demand, if we ever can.
Did you see how many smart phones and internet devices get sold every day! You think you are the only one on this system?
Hope your joking. Sounds like you work for AT&T. How about not forcing people into capped data plans. Havent been throttled with Verion, with 4 to 7 GB a month. Hell Spint can still afford unlimited.

rijc99#WN

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site

That's what THEY advertise their faster network as being good at. They sell the ability to stream video, music, etc faster than the competition. I'm simply using the phone as intended and not to mention within the scope of my original agreement with them.

opec

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I also got throttled, and I was seeing speeds that were about 95% slower than before I got throttled. I did not expect that. Here are some numbers I have logged on speedtest:

Download speeds tested on speedtest on multiple dates:
Before throttling:
1.86Mbps

After Throttling:
0.15 Mbps

After about 3 weeks of Throttling:
0.58 Mbps

After 1 month:

Fraydog

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site

Please do tell us what the throttle point is since you have said you work for AT&T. I take it it's the 2GB point that the other AT&T worker said it was. What is the spectrum utilization for AT&T right now in your market?

Also, why does AT&T throttle LTE, even though there are few users on LTE? Answer these questions.

tim242

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Why is AT&T throttling LTE users? While we're at it JD, can you just tell us what the throttle point is? Be honest with us.

The training material we received in October, regarding throttling stated that 2 GB is the average point in which the SOC is added to the account. It varies by area. But, the policy we are trained on is pretty vague. As for throttling LTE, that's at&t for ya! They want people off of the unlimited plans. Plain and simple.

R1_Rydah

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
If sprint doesn't get the Galaxy Note, I was seriously considering switching to AT&T.. But after reading this thread, that's not a option anymore.. I will just have to live with Galaxy Note envy...

thewaffle

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Unlimited will not be coming back....ever. I don't work for AT&T but I used to. The fact is, carriers are no longer making the same profits they used to. Clearly I can't make this statement without explaining so here goes.

Carriers always have different ways to make money, when cell phones first came out, it was based off minutes, network time was expensive, and costs needed to match that. As prices for network time/bandwidth dropped the prices stayed the same. Increase in profit with a decrease in operating cost.

The next step in profits was text messages. At first they used extra network time as well, an increase in cost, 1kb each, not too bad. Carriers soon figured out how to send text messages when the phone checks in with the tower decreasing cost. Text messaging was a big cash cow back in the day.

Clearly next up was Multimedia Messages, since data was in it's infancy, Multimedia messages were included in separate packages from text so profit was maintained. There were some plans that were unlimited because carriers were making a significant profit off of texting still. Unlimited plans back then actually were unlimited because web pages didn't take much data and mobile web was in it's infancy with no real streaming back then.

Since then there hasn't been too many innovations, and carriers tried to find different add-ons to increase their profit. At first this worked, with Tele-Nav but as smartphones started to include these services for free (built in or downloaded application) their profits have shrunk. People also aren't texting as much as they used to, cutting back on their text message plans and using data instead. While the Data really doesn't cost the carriers money, they aren't making the same profit as they used to. Logically the next step to make money is to charge for Data. They clearly know their current data restrictions are too low, but at the current levels they are making a profit. Data limits will continue to increase but never will be truly unlimited again not in the way we used to have them, because the carriers can't make their profits.

An ideal situation would be you pay for 3GB (or whatever) Full Speed, and once you hit 3GB you get throttled, not to the level AT&T is currently throttling, but say 1/3 speed or whatever is equivalent, leading to people who really want the speed to pay for it. Alas a plan like that is probably a good 3-4 years out, once LTE is rolled out much wider. At that point Data costs will have dropped even further and these plans would be an option.

CrazeOKC

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm paying VZW $230 a month for two phones atm. I'm currently grandfathered in with unlimited data with about a year left in contract. If they ever send me a msg. about excessive data usage while I'm still in contract I will sue my way out of the contract. If I'm not in a contract I will simply flip them the bird and jump ship to sprint. I seriously doubt either phone uses more than a gig in any one month but its one more thing I don't want to have to worry about. Hopefully this won't ever happen before sprint has 4G in my area but I'd rather have unlimited 3G on sprint than counting MB's on Verizons 4G. So a message to the carriers either take my $230 a month and leave me the f alone or I can give it to someone else who doesn't throttle/cap data plans. I can slowly see Verizon moving the same route as ATT on this and I don't like it.

ulmerj79

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Its dishonest for any carrier to advertise a phones great hd screen that can stream movies/music over this great 4g network...and then give you a measley 2gb's of useable data? A couple movies over netflix and a bit of audio streaming will kill 2gbs in no time. Theres really no reason to get such a capable device if you cant use it. I guess this could help sell more BB's though since they sip data.

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
An ideal situation would be you pay for 3GB (or whatever) Full Speed, and once you hit 3GB you get throttled, not to the level AT&T is currently throttling, but say 1/3 speed or whatever is equivalent, leading to people who really want the speed to pay for it. Alas a plan like that is probably a good 3-4 years out, once LTE is rolled out much wider. At that point Data costs will have dropped even further and these plans would be an option.

Isn't that exactly what T-mo's "unlimited" data plan is? At certain thresholds, your speed gets reduced.

Also, the "2gb throttling trigger" doesn't exist. I've been over 2gb a couple times since they implemented throttling, and I never was notified. I think I'm going to try to see what it takes to get the message. I'll post back when I do.

quixoticelixer

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
Its all gravy. I've tubemated the stew out of a few documentaries since I got my email. 2 weeks left into billing cycle. 8gbs down. I'm fed up. Going to stream nonstop until I cut it off. Etf be damned

thewaffle

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Isn't that exactly what T-mo's "unlimited" data plan is? At certain thresholds, your speed gets reduced.

Also, the "2gb throttling trigger" doesn't exist. I've been over 2gb a couple times since they implemented throttling, and I never was notified. I think I'm going to try to see what it takes to get the message. I'll post back when I do.

It is, but they throttle you to sub 56K speeds IIRC, they put you on 2G data rather than 3G speeds.

There isn't a soft cap. I got my notice that I was in the top 5 in December. November I hit 10GB data, in December I hit 5GB. They initially flag you after you hit a high level (compared to what people in your area hit.) It also bases off of your average. I usually Average every month between 4 and 6GB so hitting 10 was a bit much, thus a flag. I haven't gotten the text again, and don't suspect I will if I keep my usage in the 4-6 range again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12