Sense or No Sense...

tmn72tx

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
Those of you that have upgraded to Sense 3.0, what are your impressions? Is it much better than the Sense 2.1 that is on the default ROM of the HTC Inspire 4G?

I have purchased some software and tried a few others (like SPB and GO) but don't like all the additional overhead. At the end of the day, I find Sense works fine, and I like the way it looks. But Sense 3.0 looks pretty cool, but is there really any additional functionality? Any very compelling reason to ROOT my phone if I'm happy enough with things now?

I'm interested to hear what you guys have to say.

Thanks!

UnfocusedHTC

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm using sense 3.5. The main thing I've noticed that's different is the unlock screen. I like the 3.0/3.5 lock screen a whole lot better.

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Other than the lock screen and the home page switching, I don't see much difference. I'm sure there are some "behind the scenes" differences because I don't think Sense 3.0+ is as much of a battery hog as previous versions.

wrecked77

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Other than the lock screen and the home page switching, I don't see much difference. I'm sure there are some "behind the scenes" differences because I don't think Sense 3.0+ is as much of a battery hog as previous versions.

I updated to sense 3.5 and with the runnymede 4.0 Rom and I notice about 30-40% more battery life afterwards.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Hey, couple quick questions for those using Sense 3.5: is the dock really just two circles and is there a "classic" dock option like the one in Sense 2.1? I'm curious as it's been reported that the Thunderbolt will be getting ICS with Sense 3.5 some time this year. While I like the newer lock screen, I'm concerned about the different dock. Thanks in advance! :)

cbulkman

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
It's definitely flashier with the eye candy, but I don't know if the improvements I'm seeing are due to Sense 3.0 or the custom ROM I flashed, Android Revolution HD. I tend to think it's the latter.

I do miss the theme I used to have where my unlock was a straight bar across the screen.

tmn72tx

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
I appreciate the responses everyone! It doesn't sound like the difference is too much, but the battery life sounds really good. I'm still debating if I want to root my phone. I'm still under warranty, so it's a bit of an internal debate.
However, the responses really make me think that it might be time to give a new ROM a shot.

RoboWarrior

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Despite the majority loving the 3.5 lockscreen, personally I enjoy the 2.0 lockscreen. Does anyone know whether there is a mod where you can replace the sense 3.5 lockscreen with a older one? I returned to stock for it but missing beats audio is a killer.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

tmn72tx

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
I thought maybe you could use Go Locker, but it doesn't seem like anyone has a Sense 2.0 theme. Sorry. I'm really hoping you're right RoboWarrior about ICS and Sense 4.0. That would be awesome to see it on the Inspire.

cognition88

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Ics would be awesome, but I can't see an official rom from htc. I don't remember were in read it, but somewhere on xda someone was explaining how it was att final say. I am however expecting to see it on mine in the format of cm9.

I'll try to find that post a little latter and link it here

DaElderGeek

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
. . .. I'm still debating if I want to root my phone. . . . .

It's not for everybody, you have to not mind getting a totally unexpected result, and be comfortable with the occasional debugging session. For me it was simple; if anybody is going to be in control of my toys it's going to be me. :) YMMV. Just my $0.02.

"The technology of a sufficiently advanced civilization will be virtually indistinguishable from magic."

Sir Arthur C. Clarke

tmn72tx

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
I did update my ROM finally. I'm using Android 2.3.5 and Sense 3.5. I can't believe how awesome it is, and my SMS messages always have a name attached!! It was MUCH easier to root than I expected, although I Read the Effen Manual 6 times prior to starting. Nothing like getting hung in the middle and hosing a device!

Anyway, Sense 3.5 is really great. I like the unlock screen, I can select how many home screens I want, and I love not having the extra bloat of an additional launcher installed.