Contact's number shows up in Messaging instead of name

iReaperrr

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
So my mom (previous owner) said she stopped using this phone because it started getting glitchy after the 2.3.3 update. So I said, "I don't care, I want to use it because it's a better phone" so ever since I started using it, I've noticed one thing, that in Messaging the contact's number shows up rather than their contact name. Example:

Number: +18005555555

*goes to messaging*

Me: Hello.
+18005555555: Hey!

That's how almost all my texts have shown up. (if I have their number stored)

Is anyone else having this problem? :-\

The Architect

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
It's a known issue. There are other threads discussing it in more detail. It seems the common answer is "use a third party SMS client"

Personally, I just exit and restart the messages app/widget and it corrects it self. I've had the Inspire for over a year, and I don't even notice it anymore.

BusyManNVA

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I use GO SMS for messaging and have found that when this starts happening, it means I have too many messages saved. I go through and delete a bunch, restart the app, and it goes back to working fine. Don't know if this would fix the issue in the stock messaging app, if that's what you're using.

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Although I'm rooted now, I did experience this problem with the GB update (part of the reason I finally rooted). I started using Hnadcent and never experienced the problem again. There was never an official fix for this, so yes, using a 3rd party app is the standard solution.

Gates Is Antichrist

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
SIMPLE FIX. I see so many complicated explanations, and don't know why no one else says the following which is 100% effective for me.. Go Settings/General/Apps. Scroll to Messaging and click it. Click "force stop" (don't worry, it's not as radical as you might fear).

Now back all the way out and click your message icon. At least for me, names now appear instead of numbers.

craigtdotme

Dec 20, 2018
Visit site
My mom had my phone number saved in her contacts as the number itself. If all else fails try checking the contacts and if “phone number” contacts show at the bottom delete them. Then the app will revert back to the original name assuming you have that person and phone number listed in your contacts under their name.

So my mom (previous owner) said she stopped using this phone because it started getting glitchy after the 2.3.3 update. So I said, "I don't care, I want to use it because it's a better phone" so ever since I started using it, I've noticed one thing, that in Messaging the contact's number shows up rather than their contact name. Example:

Number: +18005555555

*goes to messaging*

Me: Hello.
+18005555555: Hey!

That's how almost all my texts have shown up. (if I have their number stored)

Is anyone else having this problem? :-\

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad