02-25-2011 08:27 AM
63 123
tools
    considering they pushed up the release of the atrix to this tuesday 2/22...that will be 2 "4G" phones available on ATT...they should tweak their towers or something because there are going to be a lot of new "4G" customers who are going to realize their data speeds are the same as an iphone4.
    02-17-2011 03:58 PM
    considering they pushed up the release of the atrix to this tuesday 2/22...that will be 2 "4G" phones available on ATT...they should tweak their towers or something because there are going to be a lot of new "4G" customers who are going to realize their data speeds are the same as an iphone4.
    Correction - same as iphone 3g/3gs, because up speed is about 250-300 kbs ... but yea - what a scam.

So my question is are we locked into umts, unless we root and f with the radio? or when they open the valve on Mar. 1st, we will get "4g" (hspa+)?
    02-17-2011 07:03 PM
    I just rooted my Inspire 4G and in fact I AM getting higher download and upload speeds...
    02-17-2011 07:51 PM
    I just rooted my Inspire 4G and in fact I AM getting higher download and upload speeds...
    interesting...
    02-17-2011 08:12 PM
    I know it kind of weird... I'm not experiencing advertised 4G speeds but I'm definitely getting higher speeds that I was getting before rooting. Before I rooted the phone, I was getting ~900kbs down and ~400kbs up. Now I'm getting this:

I'm in South Nassau County, Long Island (Near NYC)...
    02-17-2011 10:11 PM
    rooted as in "installed custom DHD rom"? what has changed (besides the speed of course)? did the new rom unlock hsdpa/hsupa?
    02-18-2011 01:08 AM
    I get about 6 mb per second download in Canton Ohio. I had the iPhone 4 and used to get between 3-4 here.
    02-18-2011 06:13 AM
    mine says HSDPA
    02-19-2011 09:26 PM
    so should we wait until at&t enables it via update or root it?
    and if we should root..should i do it now? (im new to the rooting scene..although im very familiar with jailbreak with the iphone and all. although im sure its completely different)
    02-20-2011 10:51 AM
    so should we wait until at&t enables it via update or root it?
    and if we should root..should i do it now? (im new to the rooting scene..although im very familiar with jailbreak with the iphone and all. although im sure its completely different)
    Rooting is not going to enable HSPA+. The only think rooting will do will enable HSUPA. AT&T needs to turn on HSPA+ in their system for "4G" download speeds, but they are never going to enable the HSUPA uploads from what we can tell.
    02-20-2011 10:26 PM
    Ok I have read the posts here and see how people are so confused. "4G" is a standard and nothing more. AT&T and Verizon call different technologies "4G". Verizons is LTE where as AT&T and T-mobile use HSPA+. Sprint uses completely different standard but either way when AT&T goes to LTE it will be on the 700mhz band so if your device does not have the 700 band you are wasting your time even hoping to have LTE or getting the LTE SIM.

I'm not going to get into the HSPA+ talks but it will be noticeably faster soon enough. Just be patient.
    02-24-2011 11:34 PM
    Ok I have read the posts here and see how people are so confused. "4G" is a standard and nothing more. AT&T and Verizon call different technologies "4G". Verizons is LTE where as AT&T and T-mobile use HSPA+. Sprint uses completely different standard but either way when AT&T goes to LTE it will be on the 700mhz band so if your device does not have the 700 band you are wasting your time even hoping to have LTE or getting the LTE SIM.

I'm not going to get into the HSPA+ talks but it will be noticeably faster soon enough. Just be patient.
    I agree, which looks to be end of March, or end of May.
    02-25-2011 12:26 AM

hspa+ is not 4g but part of the 3gpp spec which means it's 3g. it's just updated every year to be faster

verizon's LTE is technically part of the 3gpp spec and they now use SIM cards like everyone else. people say that LTE is like 3.9G where HSPA and HSPA+ is around 3.5G. LTE made some big protocol changes in how the phone communicates with the network for easier transition to a real 4G network down the road
    02-25-2011 08:27 AM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD