Who? or Where will the Rooting be...

Staticpunk84

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Ok I know it just released but Im wondering who or where will rooting start for this lovely phone Inspire? And besides how would one know or how to start a root method for this phone or really any other phone... Ugh I want one so bad...2.19.11 will be the day for me.

Ryan Roland

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Im also curious about this. And if it's okay I'd like to add a question to this thread.

I already have rooted and loaded CM6.1 on my ARIA.

What steps can I skip on my Inspire? I assume the driver that HTC sync installed is still good... and Im thinking that when I installed Hboot onto my comp that should stay the same too right?

So will we just have to wait for unrevoked to update their tool with the inspire? and then wait for some ROM's to surface? I'm still a noob to this since i've only done it on my aria and that was a few months ago so I would have to study up again to make sure I get it right. I had no issues whatsoever on my aria because I STUDIED hard for that mofo!

Thanks for letting me piggyback your thread I just didn't want to start another one that would be so similar and have ppl answering both our questions

Staticpunk84

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Im also curious about this. And if it's okay I'd like to add a question to this thread.

I already have rooted and loaded CM6.1 on my ARIA.

What steps can I skip on my Inspire? I assume the driver that HTC sync installed is still good... and Im thinking that when I installed Hboot onto my comp that should stay the same too right?

So will we just have to wait for unrevoked to update their tool with the inspire? and then wait for some ROM's to surface? I'm still a noob to this since i've only done it on my aria and that was a few months ago so I would have to study up again to make sure I get it right. I had no issues whatsoever on my aria because I STUDIED hard for that mofo!

Thanks for letting me piggyback your thread I just didn't want to start another one that would be so similar and have ppl answering both our questions

Its all good man and all the info we can get about any rooting methods,ideas ?s about is all good with me..Cause Im looking into seeing what any other user of the inspire have to say I would like to keep this thread alive for rooting methods and anything else related thanks for the replies

skroll

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I got swype installed, using adb (or Sideload Wonder Machine) I just installed the installer package.

1) Make sure you have USB debugging enabled in your settings (Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB Debugging) and download the installer from the swype beta site onto your Inspire. (it won't let you access from a desktop browser).

2) Connect your Inspire to your machine and browse the /download directory to get the installer package (swype-installer.apk).

3) Use ./adb install <path to your swype-installer.apk>

4) Run the installer, it's going to say you can't install because AT&T blocks sideloading. DON'T HIT OK, JUST LEAVE IT THERE WITH THAT WARNING UP.

5) From the terminal, run ./adb pull /data/data/com.swype.android.installer/files/mypackage.apk ./mypackage.apk to fetch the downloaded package.

6) Now just do a ./adb install ./mypackage.apk and there you go.

Worked for me on my mac with no additional software except adb, but I think on Windows you'll need to go and get the drivers for your HTC Inspire from HTC Sync (you don't need to run HTC sync, just installed it for the drivers)

skroll

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
How did you find that or were u able to install it yourself... But either way that's awesome

Well I knew the adb trick because you can install basically anything via adb. However, the part about the downloaded package during the install I found on the FAQ of the Swype forums, because I had no idea what the path was where the temporary file was created.

I just did it on my Inspire last night and it works perfectly fine.

Staticpunk84

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Skroll.. You think u can post an image of it.. And adb I heard of that just have not got a chance to look into is there any info u can share with us.. On so far what u did. Thanks bro

skroll

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Note: Since this would be helpful to a lot of people, I'm creating a new thread for it.

Well either way, it's VERY similar so here we go:

Windows users get these:
1) http://forum.androidcentral.com/and...40770-ac-sideload-wonder-machine-windows.html (Sideload Wonder Machine)
2) Application - HTC Sync for all HTC Android Phones (HTC Sync for the Drivers on Windows)

Linux/Mac users get this:
1) http://forum.androidcentral.com/and.../24362-sideload-wonder-machine-linux-mac.html (Sideload Wonder Machine)

Steps:
1)
Windows: Install HTC sync, reboot afterwards to ensure the drivers are snuggled into your system. Install Sideload Wonder Machine by downloading the zip file in the link I posted, and copy the AC-SWM directory into C:\ (for simplicity)
Mac/Linux: Download the Sideload Wonder Machine zip in the link, open it and extract it somewhere (remember this directory).

2) Ensure your device has USB debug mode enabled, to do this, go to Settings -> Applications -> Development, and check the "USB Debugging" option.

3) Plug your phone in to your computer, make sure you are in "Charge Only" Mode. (drag the notification bar at the top down to see what mode you're in, tap to change it, make sure you hit DONE).

4)
Windows:
Open up a command prompt (Start -> Run, type "cmd") and then type: "cd C:\AC-SWM"
Type "adb devices"
You SHOULD see an HTC device listed. If not, you either didn't enable debugging or your drivers are not correct. If you do not see a device, STOP.

Mac/Linux
Open up your favorite terminal, type "cd /path/to/where/you/extracted/it" and type "./adb devices"
You SHOULD see an HTC device listed. If not either there's a problem with your USB connection or you didn't enable USB debugging. If you do not see a device, STOP.

5) Sign up for the swype beta if you haven't already, and after you have gone through the process and they sent you your download link, DOWNLOAD the file to your device.

6)
Windows: type: "adb pull /mnt/sdcard/download/Swype-Installer.apk Swype-Installer.apk", this will download the installer to your local machine. If there's a problem it's most likely that your device is in USB disk drive mode, and your computer is mounting your filesystem. Make sure you are in charge mode.

Mac/Linux: type: "./adb pull /mnt/sdcard/download/Swype-Installer.apk ./Swype-Installer.apk", this will download the installer to your local machine. If there's a problem it's most likely that your device is in USB disk drive mode, and your computer is mounting your filesystem. Make sure you are in charge mode.

7)
Windows: type: "adb install Swype-Installer.apk"
Mac/Linux: type: "./adb install ./Swype-Installer.apk"

8) You may need to restart your phone to see the installer, but under your applications, you SHOULD see "Swype Installer". Run it.

9) During the install, you can pick either Swype Full or Swype English/Spanish, pick your version.

10) A warning will pop up saying that applications from outside the marketplace cannot be installed. DON'T WORRY, BUT DON'T CLICK ANYTHING YET.

11)
Windows: type "adb pull/data/data/com.swype.android.installer/files/mypackage.apk ./mypackage.apk"
Mac/Linux: type "./adb pull /data/data/com.swype.android.installer/files/mypackage.apk ./mypackage.apk"

12)
Windows: type "adb install mypackage.apk"
Mac/Linux: type "./adb install ./mypackage.apk"

13) Click the "Cancel" button on the warning, install should proceed as normal! If not, just run the installer again, it'll pick up the package and you are all set.

If you don't get the Swype keyboard, make sure the Swype installer was completed, you can always start it again. If it IS complete and you still don't see it, reboot your phone.

Also, to enable/disable Swype, go to Settings -> Language & keyboard and make sure "Swype" is checked.

Let me know if you have any problems.

Last edited:
Reactions: jdk2