Battery Life/Tips and Tricks

asuprice

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
You knew this would come up at some point, so lets hear how your battery life is and what you have done to make it better.

rubytuesday007

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Interesting thing I noticed is the top-off, conditioning procedure those with the EVO will be familiar with doesn't seem to work with the Inspire. Once the phone reaches 100%, that is it. There is no topping off as it did with the EVO and Dinc.

YoungSpade8

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Not having tons of widgets and icons on the screen; that along with keeping the things I subtle need off and the brightness on auto adjust.

Of course I done do these things and carry multiple batteries around with me every day just.in case theyvdie out on me.

mikebutler83

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I have been able to make it though an entire day with no problem. I use wifi at work so that helps as well. It gets way better battery life than my EVO does and it has a smaller battery

mrro82

Mr. Ro.
Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
My poor battery. I have crappy reception at home and work. I'll bounce between Edge, 3G, and H+ all day at both places. I downloaded an app called Battery Doctor from the Market. I know it's probably not gonna elp but I figured I'd try it anyway. Took it off the charger this morning at 7. Used waze on the way to work. It's now 9 and I'm down to 82% :( Good thing I have a charger with me everywhere.

dzervit

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
To put it bluntly... if you want the battery to last, don't use the phone. Seriously. From what I've seen thus far, the screen is the biggest killer of them all. That huge, brilliant screen. I have mine set at auto brightness with a 30 second timeout.

Basically, when I use the crap outta the phone doing stuff, browsing, playing Angry Birds I can kill the battery by mid-afternoon. It leave the charger around 7:30AM. Now that I have all my apps loaded and I'm trying to settle into a "normal" phone day I expect it to make it through the work day. It's just before noon and I'm at 79%, 4:15 hrs:mins off the charger. Display has consumed 59% of that, with maps coming in second at 13% as I used it a bit this morning.

Today is by far the best, but again, it's only due to the fact I've only used it to respond to a few texts, read a few e-mails and downloaded one notes program and banged out a quick note.

It's as simple as "using the phone = killing the battery".

PS - I always have everything on... WiFi, GPS, Bluetooth. I refuse to shut stuff off to save a few minutes of battery. That's BS... "oh, I better turn that on so I can use xyz". They should always be ready when I need them and power down when not in use. It's called power management HTC, get on it. I always left everything on with my Torch, and rocked out an entire heavy day of use with at least 50% left to spare. My hope is to rock out an entire work day, charge on my 30 minute commute home, and have it last until bedtime. We'll see how it goes...

Ricandroid

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
My battery died today before lunch just sitting in my pocket. I agree, we should not jump thru hoops to enjoy the phone for at least a day.

I love android, but this phone is not good at all on battery, it is going back.

amy78c

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Im just gonna throw my 2 cents out here. BB are great phones always have been ( I myself have had the pearl, curve, bold and the torch so I am a fan of BB ) BUT they are not like iPhones ( My last phone was the iPhone 3GS had it from the day it came out ), EVOs, The Inispire, driod ect they just dont do what these other phones do .. so battery on a BB will always out perform any of these phones I just listed .. Its something you just have to live with if you want a phone that can do everything .. Carry a extra battery have a charger at work, make sure you have a car charger ... if all that is something you dont feel you are willing to do then .. BB or Dumb phones as I call them are the way to go.
I never b!tch about battery life because of one very important thing .. I COULD NEVER GO BACK TO BB OR A DUMB PHONE .. I just can do so much more with my smart phone and I would not trade it for all the battery life a dumb phone could offer !! again thats just my 2 cents and was not ment to offend anyone I just think people need to understand battery life will be an issue on any real smart phone .. so you just gotta deal with it or go back to whatever worked best for you before.

thatguyjeff

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Coming from the Palm Pre (which had the worst battery performance I've ever experienced, glad I had a touchstone for it) - I'm pleased with my Inspire battery, as in the battery life is exceeding my expectations.

I've done nothing to modify the stock settings in order to preserve the battery life and I've been left with a little over 50% when I get home from work. My Pre usually had less than 30%.

I would consider myself a light user though. 3-5 brief calls per day (3 mins or less), about a dozen text messages, same number of emails, maybe 30 total mins of surfing, and maybe another 30 (tops) of time killing with a game or two. This all being while I'm at the office.

At home, it goes on the charger for a top off, and then it's solid the rest of the evening.

dchandler

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
You really made a great point, and for 100.00 dollars how can people complain about the battery? I take my Inspire off the charger around 7:30 every morning and Im still half way full, Thats with no use, I take my iphone 4 off the charger the same time and by 4:00 its dead, my point is no matter what smartphone you get its going to have the same problems not unless its a Blackberry:cool:.

Im just gonna throw my 2 cents out here. BB are great phones always have been ( I myself have had the pearl, curve, bold and the torch so I am a fan of BB ) BUT they are not like iPhones ( My last phone was the iPhone 3GS had it from the day it came out ), EVOs, The Inispire, driod ect they just dont do what these other phones do .. so battery on a BB will always out perform any of these phones I just listed .. Its something you just have to live with if you want a phone that can do everything .. Carry a extra battery have a charger at work, make sure you have a car charger ... if all that is something you dont feel you are willing to do then .. BB or Dumb phones as I call them are the way to go.
I never b!tch about battery life because of one very important thing .. I COULD NEVER GO BACK TO BB OR A DUMB PHONE .. I just can do so much more with my smart phone and I would not trade it for all the battery life a dumb phone could offer !! again thats just my 2 cents and was not ment to offend anyone I just think people need to understand battery life will be an issue on any real smart phone .. so you just gotta deal with it or go back to whatever worked best for you before.

mrro82

Mr. Ro.
Jan 19, 2011
Visit site

Exactly. I agree. Comparing the battery life of any Blackberry to the Inspire isn't even a comparison because they aren't even in the same class of phones.

asuprice

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
You really made a great point, and for 100.00 dollars how can people complain about the battery? I take my Inspire off the charger around 7:30 every morning and Im still half way full, Thats with no use, I take my iphone 4 off the charger the same time and by 4:00 its dead, my point is no matter what smartphone you get its going to have the same problems not unless its a Blackberry:cool:.

So you get better battery life out of the inspire than you do the iphone 4? which do you use more? It seems the iphone 4 battery would last a lot longer

dzervit

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Exactly. I agree. Comparing the battery life of any Blackberry to the Inspire isn't even a comparison because they aren't even in the same class of phones.

I sorta kinda agree but not really. If manufactures want to bust into the enterprise market (and you know they do) they need to address all-day usability. Why do you think the Atrix has such a massive battery and is being pushed as an ultimate business device? Powerful, do-it-all, and lasts through a day of work.

This is what a smartphone is supposed to do... get you working on the go. You cannot be a mobile professional that is in touch with everyone and everything if you're tethered to a power outlet. Smartphones are supposed to liberate, not restrict. You can't worry about managing your battery life whilst earnin' the cheddah and closing deals. Gorden Gecko would crap bricks if he used a new Android device. LOL.