Netflix on the Inspire 4G?

Hypnopottamus

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Ha! Found it but I don't understand the work around (last post). I'm wondering if this can only be done on a rooted phone. danjss (the one who posted the Android Injector idea) specifically said his Inspire is NOT rooted.

HTC Inspire - Netflix for Android

Thanx for the link. The solution given is for rooted phones. You can't access build.prop unless you're rooted. There is a solution fir rooted phones (as stated in a previous post) but you must be running a specific ROM.

Lord Magnus

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I have a rooted inspire 4G without custom Rom, I only wanted to get rid of the bloatware.

I tried changing the mentioned line/s on my build.prop file to "HTC Vision" with the original netflix app installed (not from the market since it still would not show up there).

I get the same problem when running it; the app opens, I log in, see my cue, browse titles etc, but when I hit play on any title, I get the red netflix screen with the loading icon spinning, after a few seconds, it just goes back to the main screen where I can see my cue, etc. No unsupported device message or anything.

Later I found a hacked version of the netflix app that has the device checking code removed from the program, I get the exact same results, even after changing my build.prop file to the unsupported original or other supportded models. Exact same results.

I later read that updating flash to the latest version on the marketplace (10.3), had made the app work on some phones, and followed the steps to update it on my phone. After updating from the market place, I re-traced my steps all the way to the beginning, and tried again each and every step I had already tested, to find the same results: I can browse titles, see cue, but it won't stream video/audio. Sometimes it will load the video playback screen and display the movie title, but it will always return to the main netflix screen without playing sound or video. It is quite frustrating.

What else can I try? Any input is appreciated.

Sent from my phone using my two opposable digits

Hypnopottamus

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
You need to be running a specific ROM for it to work. The ROM you need to run is called "CM7 Nightly 76+". The reason being is that you need to have Gingerbread + Sense running. The Netflix app checks both of these before it streams. To get this, go over to XDA forums. Here's the link you want to check out:

★ Netflix Port ★- Confirmed Working on CM7 Nightly 76+ - xda-developers

In case people don't know, you have to be rooted to do this. :)

Lord Magnus

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I really appreciate your directing me to the right thread. I will give it a try as soon as I get to my pc. I need to redo my titanium backup and I should be good to give this a spin!

Thanks again!

You need to be running a specific ROM for it to work. The ROM you need to run is called "CM7 Nightly 76+". The reason being is that you need to have Gingerbread + Sense running. The Netflix app checks both of these before it streams. To get this, go over to XDA forums. Here's the link you want to check out:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1076131

Hypnopottamus

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
No need to root. I just downloaded it from
Netflix.apk

You're gonna have to do a little better than that. Did you actually try running it? Can you get sound AND video? Call me paranoid, but I wouldn't install some random file uploaded to some random site without KNOWING it was safe and it worked. Can you confirm this? Where did you get this apk from?

RenoD2010

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Follow up:

I had installed the apk via Android Injector and no, I could not get sound or video. I unistalled it. I still have package but, obviously, can't install it again unless I use injector (or this supposed OTA sideload update ever comes).

Even if I DO install it, my phone is not rooted and won't support the app (can't change the build.prop files). Engadget has reported that device support has been expanded but apparently not (yet) for the Inspire.

That leaves me with the choice of rooting or being patient. It seems everything these days involving AT&T and the Inspire require VAST amounts of patients. At least they refunded me my upgrade fee. :)

homescrub

Mar 1, 2011
twitter.com
i made a thread on this already showing you it works with CM7.0.3 on Nightly 76+.

Also works with GingerBeast 2.1 beta.

Video of it working is on my signature.

RenoD2010

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
So no one has got it to work on a NON-rooted Inspire? Netflix supposedly removed the device identification

Hacked Netflix on Android No Longer Working? Feel Free to Try the Real Market Version - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Combined with the ability to now sideload I was able to easily install the new APK only I'm still having the same issue of the streaming player shutting down as soon as it starts. I'm having a hard time accepting that the Inspire is technologically incapable of running this app. I wish whatever roadblock is causing the issue would just get removed.

thedunn805

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
I have to agree. If there's one thing I miss from my iPhone 4/Samsung Focus, it'd have to be Netflix streaming.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk

deeteroderdas

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Netflix on an Inspire? As if battery life wasn't crappy enough. ;^)

Seriously, I'll install it too, when it's available for unrooted. Just sayin'.

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

RenoD2010

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I tired this one for my inspire. I downloaded it, I can manage my que. But as soon as i go to stream a video, its starts, it gets to the time bar where it shows how long the video is, then goes back to the main page. :mad:

I tried all 8 apk files and had the same results as Verdes8891. :( Will Netflix EVER get an official app for the rest of the HTC line?

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone found any other apk files that i could try with my stock htc inspire to get netflix on it. I have it on my nexus s and works great, but cant use my nexus while i am at work. So i have my inspire. Need some entertainment when you are on a season binge of a show to get through the slow times at work.

I have tried a bunch from here and a bunch from XDA. Most of the ones from xda wont even install on my phone. And the ones from ac here, install, open let me log in but wont let me stream. :mad:

ilkug

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Been using Netflix app on my Inspire for a little while now...works great! Only wish I could manage my DVD queue from there too though and not just my instant queue. Too many movies not available for streaming. *snif*

packrat007

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I recently just got the app and tried to play a video from there, but the video quality was kinda blurry like the screen was maximized. any ideas?