Netflix on the Inspire 4G?

ajholt7

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I am going to be ditching the iPhone for the Inspire. I'm really going to miss my Netflix streaming. From what I have read it doesn't look like it will ever be available on current android devices. According to Engadget it will be available on future devices. Has anyone heard anything different?

DNicolasL

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Qualcomm is apparently now "Netflix Certified". I don't know if this applies to current Snapdragon processors or not though.

Sent from my HTC EVO with Tapatalk Pro

mrro82

Mr. Ro.
Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I only know what I've read on that engadget article. Personally I wouldn't use it but it's cool that they would make that available if it comes to fruition.

May 6, 2011
Visit site
NetFlix

I Have an HTC inspire 4G and i just installed the Netflix App. I am able to view and select movies but my phone says when i try to watch a movie "My device is not supported". Does anyone have a fix for this problem? If other Android phones "5 that Netflix has listed" can stream Netflix and they are all using the Android platform what is different about the HTC Inspire platform. I don't want to run Netflix through a third party app like Playon "Which requires you to be on the same Wi-Fi network (which defeats the point of streaming movies on my phone) which doesn't make sense since I and like many other people have a TV to stream the movies on. I like many other probably want to stream movies in locations like Airports, Hotels, and other places.

If you can help please let me know.

zhelf

Zombie
Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
the 5 listed devices are the only ones it will work on without rooting currently there is probably something that blocks it on the inspire but the good news is its here 4 fo the 5 phones are htc brand so odds are we will see it on the inspire in a short time.

bhdunn

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Playon turns your home computer into a streaming media player and will forward to your phone
thru the mobile network but it is limited by the upstream speed in my case 500k, Time Warner Cable.
Also, you will need to set your router to open a UDP port.

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I Have an HTC inspire 4G and i just installed the Netflix App. I am able to view and select movies but my phone says when i try to watch a movie "My device is not supported". Does anyone have a fix for this problem? If other Android phones "5 that Netflix has listed" can stream Netflix and they are all using the Android platform what is different about the HTC Inspire platform. I don't want to run Netflix through a third party app like Playon "Which requires you to be on the same Wi-Fi network (which defeats the point of streaming movies on my phone) which doesn't make sense since I and like many other people have a TV to stream the movies on. I like many other probably want to stream movies in locations like Airports, Hotels, and other places.

If you can help please let me know.

+1.

I was almost going to subscribe to Play on. Like you I didn't want to have to connect to
to my home computer and also have it running 24/7 when I was away from home.

And also, like others have said, Playon was a hit or miss for me?

I mentioned in another post in the TB section, It will only be a matter of time
before Netflix will be available to all the top Android devices.

There is just to much money to be had for Netflix.

I strongly feel the first "batch" release of the the Netflix app was purely based upon the
current user base or handsets that are currently in use.

Also, back in February. Netflix stated that it would not release an app for the Evo.
I guess when Netflix figured out the Evo is probably in top 2 or 3 in sales in the
last year behind the I phone.They could not ignore it.

I see all the top Android phones having Netflix in the near future.

BrianTufo

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm the one who started the thread on XDA and Netflix DOES work on CM7 Nightly 76+!!! I have it working perfectly with the apk that doesn't check device!

Download the .apk that disables device checker from HERE.

homescrub

Mar 1, 2011
twitter.com
I am going to be ditching the iPhone for the Inspire. I'm really going to miss my Netflix streaming. From what I have read it doesn't look like it will ever be available on current android devices. According to Engadget it will be available on future devices. Has anyone heard anything different?

You can still use Netflix on your iphone through wifi, which is what I do :D I just wish Netflix would have better, smarter devs.

RenoD2010

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Not even rooted (Inspire) phones can get this to work yet. I think devs are working to edit the .apk file itself so if/when it's ready, you can use the Android Central Sideload Wonder Machine.

I was able to install this (unrooted) using Android Injector. I can open the app and do everything BUT actually stream a movie. I found this solution in a different forum (which of course I forgot to bookmark DOH) and there was a work around. I'm still looking for it....:(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci