09-12-2012 10:10 PM
41 12
tools
    I am going to be ditching the iPhone for the Inspire. I'm really going to miss my Netflix streaming. From what I have read it doesn't look like it will ever be available on current android devices. According to Engadget it will be available on future devices. Has anyone heard anything different?
    02-14-2011 04:02 PM
    Qualcomm is apparently now "Netflix Certified". I don't know if this applies to current Snapdragon processors or not though.

Sent from my HTC EVO with Tapatalk Pro
    02-14-2011 05:01 PM
    I only know what I've read on that engadget article. Personally I wouldn't use it but it's cool that they would make that available if it comes to fruition.
    02-14-2011 05:42 PM
    I just read about the Plex app. Has anyone tried it.
    02-17-2011 07:05 AM
    ?...Does anyone use hulu.com on their phones? I know it sucks cause I love having netflix on the Iphone..
    02-17-2011 07:19 AM
    I'm gonna give playon.tv a try. I see if that works. They have a 14 day free trial.
    02-17-2011 05:13 PM
    I got Netflix streaming on my Inspire with Playon
    deeteroderdas likes this.
    02-17-2011 07:01 PM
    I'm getting playon to work about half of the time I try on WiFi. Can't get it to work at all on data network.
    02-17-2011 09:04 PM
    Does anyone know if it is possible to download and install PlayOn on more than one computer for the same account?

I just found out about Playon via this news post:
    PlayOn hits the Android Market running
    02-18-2011 09:21 AM
  10. robert_scheffel989@yahoo.com's Avatar
    I Have an HTC inspire 4G and i just installed the Netflix App. I am able to view and select movies but my phone says when i try to watch a movie "My device is not supported". Does anyone have a fix for this problem? If other Android phones "5 that Netflix has listed" can stream Netflix and they are all using the Android platform what is different about the HTC Inspire platform. I don't want to run Netflix through a third party app like Playon "Which requires you to be on the same Wi-Fi network (which defeats the point of streaming movies on my phone) which doesn't make sense since I and like many other people have a TV to stream the movies on. I like many other probably want to stream movies in locations like Airports, Hotels, and other places.

If you can help please let me know.
    05-14-2011 05:17 PM
    the 5 listed devices are the only ones it will work on without rooting currently there is probably something that blocks it on the inspire but the good news is its here 4 fo the 5 phones are htc brand so odds are we will see it on the inspire in a short time.
    05-14-2011 05:24 PM
    Not only is Netflix working on porting over to more phones, but the Android community is currently working on getting this to work (Inspire 4G included). To keep up w/ progress on this, visit the following:

Netflix Port? - xda-developers
    05-15-2011 03:20 AM
    Now way to install this without rooting huh?
    05-15-2011 08:06 AM
    Playon turns your home computer into a streaming media player and will forward to your phone
    thru the mobile network but it is limited by the upstream speed in my case 500k, Time Warner Cable.
    Also, you will need to set your router to open a UDP port.
    05-15-2011 12:25 PM
    Now way to install this without rooting huh?
    Not even rooted (Inspire) phones can get this to work yet. I think devs are working to edit the .apk file itself so if/when it's ready, you can use the Android Central Sideload Wonder Machine.
    05-15-2011 02:52 PM
    I Have an HTC inspire 4G and i just installed the Netflix App. I am able to view and select movies but my phone says when i try to watch a movie "My device is not supported". Does anyone have a fix for this problem? If other Android phones "5 that Netflix has listed" can stream Netflix and they are all using the Android platform what is different about the HTC Inspire platform. I don't want to run Netflix through a third party app like Playon "Which requires you to be on the same Wi-Fi network (which defeats the point of streaming movies on my phone) which doesn't make sense since I and like many other people have a TV to stream the movies on. I like many other probably want to stream movies in locations like Airports, Hotels, and other places.

If you can help please let me know.
    +1.

I was almost going to subscribe to Play on. Like you I didn't want to have to connect to
    to my home computer and also have it running 24/7 when I was away from home.

And also, like others have said, Playon was a hit or miss for me?

I mentioned in another post in the TB section, It will only be a matter of time
    before Netflix will be available to all the top Android devices.

There is just to much money to be had for Netflix.

I strongly feel the first "batch" release of the the Netflix app was purely based upon the
    current user base or handsets that are currently in use.

Also, back in February. Netflix stated that it would not release an app for the Evo.
    I guess when Netflix figured out the Evo is probably in top 2 or 3 in sales in the
    last year behind the I phone.They could not ignore it.

I see all the top Android phones having Netflix in the near future.
    05-15-2011 04:26 PM
    I'm the one who started the thread on XDA and Netflix DOES work on CM7 Nightly 76+!!! I have it working perfectly with the apk that doesn't check device!

Download the .apk that disables device checker from HERE.
    05-17-2011 01:07 AM
    I am going to be ditching the iPhone for the Inspire. I'm really going to miss my Netflix streaming. From what I have read it doesn't look like it will ever be available on current android devices. According to Engadget it will be available on future devices. Has anyone heard anything different?
    You can still use Netflix on your iphone through wifi, which is what I do I just wish Netflix would have better, smarter devs.
    05-17-2011 01:32 AM
    Not even rooted (Inspire) phones can get this to work yet. I think devs are working to edit the .apk file itself so if/when it's ready, you can use the Android Central Sideload Wonder Machine.
    I was able to install this (unrooted) using Android Injector. I can open the app and do everything BUT actually stream a movie. I found this solution in a different forum (which of course I forgot to bookmark DOH) and there was a work around. I'm still looking for it....
    05-17-2011 07:43 AM
    Ha! Found it but I don't understand the work around (last post). I'm wondering if this can only be done on a rooted phone. danjss (the one who posted the Android Injector idea) specifically said his Inspire is NOT rooted.

HTC Inspire - Netflix for Android
    05-17-2011 07:46 AM
    Ha! Found it but I don't understand the work around (last post). I'm wondering if this can only be done on a rooted phone. danjss (the one who posted the Android Injector idea) specifically said his Inspire is NOT rooted.

HTC Inspire - Netflix for Android
    Thanx for the link. The solution given is for rooted phones. You can't access build.prop unless you're rooted. There is a solution fir rooted phones (as stated in a previous post) but you must be running a specific ROM.
    05-17-2011 08:20 AM
    Bummer. Guess I just wait for the official app then. Thanks.
    05-17-2011 01:13 PM
    I have a rooted inspire 4G without custom Rom, I only wanted to get rid of the bloatware.

I tried changing the mentioned line/s on my build.prop file to "HTC Vision" with the original netflix app installed (not from the market since it still would not show up there).

I get the same problem when running it; the app opens, I log in, see my cue, browse titles etc, but when I hit play on any title, I get the red netflix screen with the loading icon spinning, after a few seconds, it just goes back to the main screen where I can see my cue, etc. No unsupported device message or anything.

Later I found a hacked version of the netflix app that has the device checking code removed from the program, I get the exact same results, even after changing my build.prop file to the unsupported original or other supportded models. Exact same results.

I later read that updating flash to the latest version on the marketplace (10.3), had made the app work on some phones, and followed the steps to update it on my phone. After updating from the market place, I re-traced my steps all the way to the beginning, and tried again each and every step I had already tested, to find the same results: I can browse titles, see cue, but it won't stream video/audio. Sometimes it will load the video playback screen and display the movie title, but it will always return to the main netflix screen without playing sound or video. It is quite frustrating.

What else can I try? Any input is appreciated.

Sent from my phone using my two opposable digits
    05-19-2011 06:30 PM
    You need to be running a specific ROM for it to work. The ROM you need to run is called "CM7 Nightly 76+". The reason being is that you need to have Gingerbread + Sense running. The Netflix app checks both of these before it streams. To get this, go over to XDA forums. Here's the link you want to check out:

★ Netflix Port ★- Confirmed Working on CM7 Nightly 76+ - xda-developers

In case people don't know, you have to be rooted to do this.
    05-19-2011 07:31 PM
    I really appreciate your directing me to the right thread. I will give it a try as soon as I get to my pc. I need to redo my titanium backup and I should be good to give this a spin!

Thanks again!

[QUOTE=droyd;921379]You need to be running a specific ROM for it to work. The ROM you need to run is called "CM7 Nightly 76+". The reason being is that you need to have Gingerbread + Sense running. The Netflix app checks both of these before it streams. To get this, go over to XDA forums. Here's the link you want to check out:

[url=http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1076131]
    05-20-2011 10:41 AM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD