I finally gave up my >6 year old Treo 650 for the Inspire last weekend.

Not quite the clear win I was expecting. The Inspire is basically unusable on at home or the office as the HSPA+ signal is so weak. The Treo650 full strength on GSM/EDGE.

The years old battery on the Treo will go all day without a problem. The Inspire won't.

Push email works fine on the Inspire but, unlike the Treo, doesn't have a proper notification light!

I haven't got used to the keyboard yet so won't whine about that.

Bottom line in my environment this phone sucks, nice though it is. Being able to get calls kindof important!

Anyone know if you can force the radio back to GSM/EDGE ?
    02-19-2011 09:23 AM
    Can't comment on signal strength, but you might want to consider taking it back to AT&T for a replacement. Sometimes things don't work properly right out of the box. I had a 650 loved that phone..! I think i liked it better than the 700p i went to way back when, but i digress...There are several apps in the market to help with your notification light. I'm not that familiar with the desire but i'm sure it has one and with the appropriate app you should be able to program it accordingly.
    Battery-wise...well welcome to the world of phones with great big screens. You will need to charge it every night. Having said that search the forum for battery saving tips such as turning off unneeded radios such as gps, bluetooth etc. Always use wi-fi when available. Turning off auto-sync will help save battery. I believe the desire shipped with froyo so don't use a task killer regardless of what they say at AT&T, froyo is built to compartmentalize ram so most of the time when a task killer shuts an app off froyo just turns it back on. This os will take some getting used to.
    Anddroid is a huge change from a Treo. They were great phones in their own right, but once you warm up to the desire it will do whatever you need.
    So check the forum for battery saving tips and search the market for useful apps.
    As far as the radio..I would definately take ti back. there is no reason to not get a signal. If you complain enough and make the problem to be the worst you can they will switch it out.
    02-19-2011 10:59 AM
    I gave up ... none of the new phones you can force back to 2G per ATT.

Got a Droid Pro ... 5 Bars of VZ signal vs 1 to none on a good day with ATT.
    I guess the ads really are true. 10 year+ on ATT for me on 2.5G Edge, which works fine.

A lot of people moaning at the store too, when I took it back.
    02-19-2011 04:11 PM
    This sounds more like an AT&T problem than something wrong with the phone.
    02-19-2011 05:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD