The questions and answers that matter for Blackberry migrators

JohnnyUtah

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I have spent the last week as an android noob coming from the 9700 bberry and iphone. I have posed many questions which have been unanswered or misunderstood. So here's my take for those looking to leave bberry and Iphone

1. Forget your email client as you know it. On an exchange server using activesync forget html emails unless you want to go to a 3rd party client, but watch out if you sync calendar and contacts with exchange because there are multiple issues with turning off exchange email only and leaving contacts and calendar to sync. Apparently this is a known issue that nobody likes to talk about. Also, if your typing in landscape mode, the is no onscreen button to send mail, you will have to flip to portrait, also no ability to search server from device. Also forget the delete prior messages feature of bberry, you will need to tick all emails physically for multiple delete. They will try to blame earlier 2003 exchange servers, however everyone knows that even the iphne 3g renders html from these servers.

2. Forget your Today Screen from bberry which showed the last 3 emails, last 3 calendar entries and missed calls, all allowing you to jump right to them. Although senseui claims to be completely customizable, they haven't figured how to do this yet. You can get an angenda view from your calendar, but after that, forget it.

3. The touch screen vs physical keyboard: Chalk this up to droid. We've been riding this dinosaur long enough. I was the last convert and was worried this would be the biggest issue, it's not. The keyboards fine and the speech search, to text, etc., is the wave of the future and I love it.

4. Hey, you know that awesome camcorder? Yeah, about that. You can't hold your phone like 90% of other users because if you do, the video is sideways. So, your required to turn it sideways and shoot. Not a big deal, other than bberry and apple dont require this. I mean who cares unless your filming fireworks, between buidings, or just trying to establish a framed or prespective shot. Going to get a lot more photobombs this year.

5. The toughest jump for bberry users will be the size of the phone. Forget front pocket storage, if your in business, and forget one hand operations from a locked screen. This phone does a lot of things good but forgets the basics and it's huge.

I'm a chump for android because I believe that they are the future, but the things listed above along with others like not being able to stream netflix, and no HSUP without root. This stuff is nonsensical given the thousands of geniuses who did and are now developing this os. If you want business customers to ditch bberry and iphone, get the basic features right. Android is too good for this crap.

Reactions: Mycopsycho

dzervit

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I love my Inspire thus far, and think I will keep it, but am annoyed about the lack of HTML e-mail as well.

I never used the Today screen so I'm not missing it. I'm missing the Password Keeper app. Haven't found a suitable replacement yet. Also had to find a notes app, was bummed I couldn't sync my Outlook notes to the phone. What a rip!

I feel the toughest jump from the BB crowd is the horrifying battery life. Forget about using the phone for a full day without needing a charger. On a heavy work day it needs a charger before I leave or on the commute home. A close second is be prepared to not get FB notifications. Every Android phone I've had has sucked at this. iPhone users won't notice, as that phone blows as well when it comes to FB notifications.

Laceeey

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I totally agree about the battery life, my bb would last me 3 days, and it looks like after a few days of use I am charging the Inspire mid-day. To be fair I have been playing with it like crazy because it's new. I miss the today screen, but overall the Inspire is the WAY better phone (in my opinion) so I am happy.

JohnnyUtah

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Well, I just returned my Inspire and got the Atrix and I'm very happy. Had exchange email, contacts, and calendar up before I left parking lot. And guess what, html email rendered properly in the native email client with microsoft exchange. The phone size is much more manageable to me.

djsmom

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I have spent the last week as an android noob coming from the 9700 bberry and iphone. I have posed many questions which have been unanswered or misunderstood. So here's my take for those looking to leave bberry and Iphone

2. Forget your Today Screen from bberry which showed the last 3 emails, last 3 calendar entries and missed calls, all allowing you to jump right to them. Although senseui claims to be completely customizable, they haven't figured how to do this yet. You can get an angenda view from your calendar, but after that, forget it.

While you don't get the whole today screen, there is a free widget in the app market for the 3 calendar entries called smooth calendar. That was a must have for me. I can live with checking the call log and opening my e-mail, but having the quick view calendar was a necessity. Also, with Android there is no need to go through theme builder, or ask someone to make you a theme, as every screen is customizable - a feature truly lacking with blackberry.