I used the 2g iphone trick to get unlimited data

Dilrod

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Ok. For starters, I work for at&t and have known this work around could possibly still work. I just added a new line to get the inspire on an emo (at&t management plan) and had to pick the 2gig or 200mb data. Here is what I have done.

I took my original 2g iphone, put my sim card in it and connected it to itunes. It goes through the setup and I select the $20 unlimited data. I then have a co worker change my imei to my inspire (this didnt work as it removed data altogether). So I did the iphone to itunes again, and this time changed the imei in the system to an iphone 3gs instead of my inspire. Boom, unlimited data was a choice.

right now I have iphone data plan (unlimited) and although different billing codes nothing seems to be affected. I can still surf, talk, text, email.

I plan on in the next few days trying to change the imei to the correct inspire so that I can have the hspa+ billing codes.

I will update later to let you know if I am able to select the unlimited data again!

Dilrod

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
If i left it with the original iphone data plan I would have only been paying $20, but I changed it to a 3GS and its $30 (but if you get a discount off your monthly service it applies to the $30 but not the $20 one). I think I may wait until the end of my billing cycle before trying to change from an iphone data plan to the hspa+ data plans. The original iphone is the ONLY smartphone that had a $20 data plan.

apccpa

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Your post is very informative as I had wondered if the loophole only works from the 2G iPhone to a newer model iPhone, which is what I did. Your next step of switching from the 3GS to the Inspire is what I need to know next as I plan to go to eventually go to an Android phone from the 3GS as I want a phone with a replaceable battery.

Looking forward to your update.

Dilrod

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Your post is very informative as I had wondered if the loophole only works from the 2G iPhone to a newer model iPhone, which is what I did. Your next step of switching from the 3GS to the Inspire is what I need to know next as I plan to go to eventually go to an Android phone from the 3GS as I want a phone with a replaceable battery.

Looking forward to your update.

Im currently waiting this part out. As we have a glitch in our system. When just changing equipment from an iphone to the newer 4g devices, it drops the data plan off the number and then customer care has to put it back on. Right now I have no performance issues with the phone even though the wrong data is authorized. As soon as this issue is fixed I will change mine over (not hspa+ here anyway atm) and let everyone know its fixed.

Dilrod

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Updated information. So today it seems like our system is fixed that when you change IMEI's we can still pick the unlimited data. So now my account shows that I have the 4g Unlimited Smart Phone data for $30 a month. Everything is working fine. So now when my area does get hspa+ Im good to go.

Reactions: jchapman01

jchapman01

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Updated information. So today it seems like our system is fixed that when you change IMEI's we can still pick the unlimited data. So now my account shows that I have the 4g Unlimited Smart Phone data for $30 a month. Everything is working fine. So now when my area does get hspa+ Im good to go.

Thanks a TON!! My wife has an iphone with the 2gb data plan. I'm gonna use this trick to get her on the unl data!

dcdenonda

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
and keep in mind for those of you who are gonna do this trick to get unlimited data...its better if u make the plan changes on ur billing cycle to avoid prorated data charges, no one wants to pay for a full month of data in advance :(
just my 2 cents...

leigh

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
Ok. For starters, I work for at&t and have known this work around could possibly still work. I just added a new line to get the inspire on an emo (at&t management plan) and had to pick the 2gig or 200mb data. Here is what I have done.

I took my original 2g iphone, put my sim card in it and connected it to itunes. It goes through the setup and I select the $20 unlimited data. I then have a co worker change my imei to my inspire (this didnt work as it removed data altogether). So I did the iphone to itunes again, and this time changed the imei in the system to an iphone 3gs instead of my inspire. Boom, unlimited data was a choice.

right now I have iphone data plan (unlimited) and although different billing codes nothing seems to be affected. I can still surf, talk, text, email.

I plan on in the next few days trying to change the imei to the correct inspire so that I can have the hspa+ billing codes.

I will update later to let you know if I am able to select the unlimited data again!

After activating the 2g phone, does the imei of the iphone 3s or 4 need to be put in by att now, instead of being able to choose the unl data on itunes? Thank you...

leigh

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
Worked perfect I am now an unlimited plan Grandpa, awhehehe

I have a 2g coming some time this weekend. I'm a real beginner though, so I would really appreciate any helpful advice. (use pm if you like) Did you restore the iphone first? Did you cut down the sim, or use an adapter? If you received an email after switching to a newer phone, did you complete the switch with att over the phone?
Thank you for your help. Congratulations on your plan!

Patg88

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
1 Hard reset iphone.(Do not put your sim in the iphone, yet). Hold down home key and power key> when the apple shows up relese power key but not home key> you will see a usb deal pop up on the iphone you can now release the home button.

2 put your inspire sim in the iphone and connect it to itunes via usb.

3 you will see an option to RESTORE on your computer screen. Click resore and enjoy the show.

Reactions: leigh

leigh

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! While I wait for the 2g to arrive, maybe I should get my sim card ready. What size should I look for (I want to wind up with newer iphone) and what types of situations could a person have to ask for one at the att store? I mean what are reasons I would need one, ...other than for this loophole? ;)
I do have an att account, if that would help. (someone else uses that phone)

Ryang76

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Confirmed this works. Bought a $30 broken screen 2g iPhone off craigslist. Reformatted the phone and got to the point where it asked me to insert a sim card. Put in my inspire sim card (which was one of the new "4g" sim cards. Followed basic instructions on iTunes to activate. It asked for my billing zip code and last 4 of social. Put it in and within Seconds had the unlimited plan on my line for 20 bucks a month registered to a 2g iPhone.

Called AT&T and told them I just bought an inspire from a friend and wanted to activate it. They asked for the imei and made the change. I said I wanted to ensure I would still get my unlimited data, the rep said yes!! However the cost would be $30 a month instead of the $20 for the 2g iPhone. I said no problem. Hung up the phone and put the sim card in the inspire. Works perfectly. Went on to the AT&T website to verify. They call the plan "smartphone personal"

Now the best part is I use the coredroid gingerbread rom which enables the hotspot feature. So now I have unlimited data for my laptop and ipad2 as well.

Thanks to the OP for posting this. Worked perfectly!!

leigh

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
Confirmed this works. Bought a $30 broken screen 2g iPhone off craigslist. Reformatted the phone and got to the point where it asked me to insert a sim card. Put in my inspire sim card (which was one of the new "4g" sim cards. Followed basic instructions on iTunes to activate. It asked for my billing zip code and last 4 of social. Put it in and within Seconds had the unlimited plan on my line for 20 bucks a month registered to a 2g iPhone.

Called AT&T and told them I just bought an inspire from a friend and wanted to activate it. They asked for the imei and made the change. I said I wanted to ensure I would still get my unlimited data, the rep said yes!! However the cost would be $30 a month instead of the $20 for the 2g iPhone. I said no problem. Hung up the phone and put the sim card in the inspire. Works perfectly. Went on to the AT&T website to verify. They call the plan "smartphone personal"

Now the best part is I use the coredroid gingerbread rom which enables the hotspot feature. So now I have unlimited data for my laptop and ipad2 as well.

Thanks to the OP for posting this. Worked perfectly!!

That's Great! Did you already have a line on ATT (with the inspire) that you used?