Some official information about your sim cards

Dilrod

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
This is the information being passed to at&t employees and is not proprietary information (hence why Im posting it)

"Next Generation SIM card for 4G devices now available The new SIM card for 4G LTE devices is available for ordering in the COU system. While this SIM is required for 4G LTE devices, it is also compatible with 3G devices and COU will be shipping the 4G LTE SIM with every device make and model going forward (with exception to iPhone 4/iPad 3G +WiFi).

The new SIM (SKU 73057) includes enhancements that will enable functionality for LTE capable devices when supported by the network."

So, I do suggest that if you have one of the older sims and have an Inspire or Atrix to go to your local at&t corporate store and have them change it to the new model number. Originally we were told that these were only replacing the older models and to use them in the new 4g phones. Now we are being told it is a requirement.

Also, make sure its a corporate store (they are free there) and not third party places such as Radio Shack, BB, Walmart as all of them may charge a fee up to $25 for a new sim.

:cool:

NativeTxn

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the update; however, I am failing to see (at least based on what you quoted) how the new card is a requirement for the Atrix or Inspire.

Sounds to me like it will be the regular SIM that they send from now on since it will be compatible with 3G and required for LTE functionality. But the way I personally read what you quoted, the new card is only required if you have a device that is capable of LTE (which the Atrix and Inspire are not).

I guess the way it sounds to me is that if you get the new SIM card now, you could just do a SIM card swap once you upgrade to a LTE phone, and then possibly switch between a LTE device and a non-LTE device since the new cards would be compatible with both. However, once you upgrade to LTE, if you have an old SIM (i.e. 3G only), they would have to give you one of the new SIM cards anyway. At that point you would be in the same position as if you get a new one now - provided that they don't then come out with LTE-only cards, I guess.

What am I missing here?

Last edited:

Dilrod

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Basically, if you dont have one of the new sim cards then your phone wont have all the hspa+ ~ lte capabilities that it could have because the sim card isnt capable of the data transmissions. So its better off to go ahead and get one. The new one is able to do the 3G and up to the LTE. The ones that say 3G can only do up to 3G.

clintrojan

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Basically, if you dont have one of the new sim cards then your phone wont have all the hspa+ ~ lte capabilities that it could have because the sim card isnt capable of the data transmissions. So its better off to go ahead and get one. The new one is able to do the 3G and up to the LTE. The ones that say 3G can only do up to 3G.

Well the Atrix/Inspire are only on the 4G HSPDA or whatever network not the real 4G so your 3G sim card will still work with it.

Dilrod

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Correct.. for now. but when we roll out the hspa+ (your speed will not increase if your using a regular 3G sim card).

Silas0220

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Incorrect. I was just in the AT&T store today speaking with some employees about this very issue. We took one of their Inspires and made certain it had a "3G" sim card in it. While I acknowledge that speed tests run from within an AT&T store are not representative of real world conditions, the speeds we got (5mbps down and 4mbps up), along with the icons in the notification area, demonstrated that the phone was running on HSPA+ with a "3G" sim card.

HSPA+ is a 3G/GSM technology. It will run on a GSM card. LTE is not, and won't. That was the final verdict the people at my store were able to give me. The LTE cards will work as well, but there is no reason anyone ought to be seeing a difference in their speeds between the cards.

Though is someone -does- end up seeing increased speeds by switching to an LTE card, I'd be interested in hearing it.

Dilrod

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I work for AT&T, and I can tell you that I am correct. What I quoted is the exact internal information that was given (copied and pasted). The new cards are for the HSPA+ and as of now LTE exactly what I said. I also said they are compatible for regular 3G/HSPA.. but the old ones are not upward compatible and if you get an Atrix or and Inspire you should get (and if you don't you should ask for one) one of the new sim cards. Our LTE will fall back onto the GSM and use those connections. We are doing a step progression to LTE.

Also, hspa+ is only available in a very few cities. All the inspires and Atrix's show H+ on the front. Doesnt mean anything.

Loiselle

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
postpics.gif

Show up one of the new SIM cards then. It's that simple.

Art1138

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Dilrod,
Great info. THANKS!
Three hours ago I ordered two Inspires from AT&T and took out another two year contract. I should have my Inspires Thursday.

So you think my phones will have the new SIM (SKU 73057)? I'm in Houston and was told by a rep at a corporate AT&T store that AT&T wants their network to shine during March Madness, being played here in Houston.

Dilrod, ALSO-- I read here that (at first?) people were getting their Inspires with a Samsung class 2 microSD card and later people were saying they were getting SanDisk class 4 microSD cards. I asked my salesperson but she had no idea and said it was up to HTC. She offered to call HTC and when she returned from calling HTC she said she was told it was AT&T (not HTC) who put in the microSD cards. She asked her manager and she did not know either but she had her own two week old Inspire. The manager looked at her card and said it was a Samsung class 2.

I really think this phone's minimum needs are a class 4. I know I can buy a better microSD card but don't want to spend the money right now. Do you think I'll get a class 4? What are my options if I get a class 2? Will / Can a corporate AT&T store help with an upgrade to class 4 if needed?

Thank you for your help!!!

Dilrod

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I actually have seen both sd cards and have no clue why they differ.. maybe from a different packaging location? I made sure to pick one out with the Sandisc card. According to our info, all phones shipped from care should have the 73057 sim and all phones sold in retail are to be given the new sim. If its not the new one when you get them, just go to a local core store and ask to get new sims. Unfortunately if you get a Samsung card, the store can not exchange it for the Sandisc. If this changes, I will post on these forums.

Reactions: Art1138

bmolloy

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
This is the information being passed to at&t employees and is not proprietary information (hence why Im posting it)

"Next Generation SIM card for 4G devices now available The new SIM card for 4G LTE devices is available for ordering in the COU system. While this SIM is required for 4G LTE devices, it is also compatible with 3G devices and COU will be shipping the 4G LTE SIM with every device make and model going forward (with exception to iPhone 4/iPad 3G +WiFi).

The new SIM (SKU 73057) includes enhancements that will enable functionality for LTE capable devices when supported by the network."

So, I do suggest that if you have one of the older sims and have an Inspire or Atrix to go to your local at&t corporate store and have them change it to the new model number. Originally we were told that these were only replacing the older models and to use them in the new 4g phones. Now we are being told it is a requirement.

Also, make sure its a corporate store (they are free there) and not third party places such as Radio Shack, BB, Walmart as all of them may charge a fee up to $25 for a new sim.

:cool:

Thanks for the heads up. I have the new SIM my phone came with (73057) in the box still. (They just moved over my old SIM). Can I call AT&T and make the switch without going into a store? I have a company store near me, I just avoid it like the plague because It involves going to the MALL.

NativeTxn

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I don't work for AT&T and I'm far from an expert, but I still don't see anywhere in that "memo" stating that the new SIM cards will be required to get the higher speeds on the Atrix or Inspire.

The only time the word "required" is used, is in reference to LTE - "While this SIM is required for 4G LTE devices..." And it goes on to imply requirement for LTE when it says that it "...includes enhancements that will enable functionality for LTE capable devices when supported by the network."

Not once does it state that it is required for HSPA+ speeds, nor does it even imply that you will not be able to attain HSPA+ speeds without it. It merely states that it is going to be shipped in all future devices (presumably since it will work for future LTE devices as well as currently with any and all 3G devices, so it is easier than having two different SIM cards floating around out there), and that it will be required for LTE capable devices (which the Atrix and Inspire are not).

Again, I don't work for AT&T, nor am I a SIM expert, but I can read and analyze things, and if the new SIM is in fact required for the Inspire and Atrix to realize HSPA+ speeds, then AT&T needs to be much clearer with the information it disseminates (both internally and to its customers) than it is in the memo quoted by the OP.

Last edited:

netposer

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
3 Generations of SIM Cards from ATT

Here are 3 generations of SIM cards. I keep them all after we change SIMS or terminate a line of service. I just "x" them so we know they are no longer usable.

The old 64K Cingular SIM
The 3G ATT SIM
The New ATT SIM (4G?)

5491151413_cb1e23a930_b.jpg

Art1138

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I just got my two Inspires. Both with the new SIM (SKU 73057) and both with SanDisk 8G class 4 microSD card. :) I was ready to march down to my local AT&T store but all is good! A bit of a learning curve opening up the %#@* battery cover. Too bad the AT&T stores don't have the software (I called) to transfer all my contacts' info to the Inspire. So I just transferred via the SIM cards--just one phone number per contact. bummer I don't know how to get the right phone number to the right transfered contact list on the SIM. Seems like its 50/50!?!???
I'm charging then up now. Later...

dseiden

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
Could the new SIM cards be only in the areas that have the new service. The people at two stores that I went to did not know anything about them and both stores only had the one type of SIM card so far.

Honestly do not think the SIM card will make a difference as there is not HSPA+ in my area but if it would make the speed at least as fast as my wife's iPhone it would be nice.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan