Help - Inspire Swype thread is too complex... cannot execute instructions

jeff7sr

Mar 4, 2011
www.7sidedrecords.com
Right now I'm five hours in, still failing to complete this seemingly simple task: Install any kind of swipe-style texting on an HTC Inspire 4G.

I successfully installed the driver and the AC Sideload Wonder Machine. I used AC-SWM to actually get the app "Swype Installer" (swypeinc.com) to even appear in my "All apps" list on the phone itself. Then I open the app and try to install, and choose the 10MB version.

The message: "Install blocked. For security, your phone is set to block installation of applications not obtained from Android Market."

So, I proceeded back to the Guide on this site:
http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-inspire-4g/60295-guide-installing-swype-beta-htc-inspire-4g.html

This guide gets too complex for me on steps 11-12. I cannot figure out where I am supposed to type that long text string. The guide does not specify if that's on my phone, or on my PC, or where I am supposed to go to type said text string. I saw a reference to "open up your favorite terminal," but I have no idea what that means, or how that works together with AC-SWM and the phone.

So, I gave up on the forums and called AT&T. Spent 25 minutes on that call, only to be told I have to call HTC.

After 10 minutes on the phone with HTC, lady comes back and says flat-out: this phone cannot install non-Market apps. It's been made that way on purpose.

"Sir, there is no way for you to install any non-Market app to the Inspire."

Well... where can I go to suggest that a swipe-texting app be developed for the Android Market?

"Umm... you'd have to find someone who knows how to make Market apps."

Can anyone help? Am I being rational? Am I expecting too much out of this supposedly top-of-the-line Android device, after seeing several friends with older Android phones text with speed and efficiency?

I'm returning this phone if I can't get swipe-style texting. I've got 30 days, well 28 now, to return it. I believe swipe technology is the only way (as of now) to finger-text at the highest possible speeds. Using this phone by typing individual letters on a screen is slow, cumbersome, non-intuitive, and frustrating -- and totally wastes the crazy-awesome abilities of the Inspire.

My previous two phones, both unsatisfactory (a Samsung Blackjack II and an LG fliphone years ago), were much faster at texting. That's nauseating.

So if anyone can help me get swipe texting on my HTC Inspire, I would be eternally grateful. If I could buy an app that did this, I'd pay for it. But it doesn't exist (yet).

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

mrro82

Mr. Ro.
Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your help. Really.

To answer your question: no. You aren't being rational if you're wanting to return a phone because you can't put one app on it. That's like returning a BlackBerry because you can't put Angry Birds on it. Enjoy the phone for what it does right now. Swype might come out soon. You never know but returning the Inspire because of that is lame. Just my $.02. Have a nice night.

jeff7sr

Mar 4, 2011
www.7sidedrecords.com
Thanks, I appreciate that perspective. I understand what you mean. I guess I just have a different view. I don't think of it as one app but rather an expected option for texting, which is my personal top priority aside from calling. Given that, it's a big reason I finally made the jump to Android/touchscreen.

Silas0220

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Reactions: jeff7sr

jeff7sr

Mar 4, 2011
www.7sidedrecords.com

federalbikes88

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
If you really want swype find the swype 2.15.56 apk and then use the ac sideload wonder machine with that and you'll have it, just have to go to setting>langauge and keyboard and enable it.

Reactions: ReuvenNY

Silas0220

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Wow thanks! This is fantastic! This reply is my first use! Well worth the money! And man, i searched... But didn't think to search "slide" texting.

Thank you so much!

My pleasure, man. I'd just use that for now until a simpler form of getting Swype on the phone comes around. The phone's still only a few weeks old, you have to give the dev community some time to work on things.

Or, alternatively, if you really like this particular app, keep using it! And let us know how you like it. I'd be curious, for sure.

jeff7sr

Mar 4, 2011
www.7sidedrecords.com
Thanks again for your help, Silas!

After using the SlideIT app for a few days now, I find it satisfactory but not ideal.

The biggest problem with SlideIT: The interface has no navigation buttons (with which to move the cursor around your text). This means you have to use your finger on the touch screen to put a cursor in a particular place (very difficult to get the exact spot). This is annoying because it makes it hard to change a text after you have finished composing (but still want to edit or fix a character or two).

The other problems is capitalization. It won't let me type consecutive CAPS. For example, I'd type "See you in GR soon!" to tell my friend I'm coming to Grand Rapids. But SlideIT only lets you type Gr. To get GR, you have to type G, then a space, then a capital R, then use your finger to get the cursor just before the R, and then hit Delete to bring the G and R together. I mean, we are not communists... let me control my letters how I want. And whew. Way too much effort just to explain that, let alone do it.

In all, this program is sloppy but gets the slide/swipe thing accomplished.

As for me, I will be downloading the next slide/swipe app that comes out, in hopes that it's better for me.

stephlynn0215

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
i was wondering if you could help me out, im looking for where i can download the usb driver for my htc inspire? i've googled it but still come up with nothing. thanks!

Silas0220

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Not exactly the right thread, man. But, when you install the HTC Sync program on your computer, it ought to install the drivers along with it.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
i was wondering if you could help me out, im looking for where i can download the usb driver for my htc inspire? i've googled it but still come up with nothing. thanks!

Not exactly the right thread, man. But, when you install the HTC Sync program on your computer, it ought to install the drivers along with it.

^^ This. I want sooo bad to put that in the instructions for the SWM, but it will only lead to tons of email asking me why it's not that easy for other models of phone :p

Install HTC sync, reboot and your drivers are good to go.

shunnell56

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I know how you feel. It took me 7 hours and constant internet searching to finally get it done on my new Inspire, but it worked and hallalula! Here's the web page link where I finally got everything I needed to make it work. Set up your computer per the insutructions on this link:
What Is ADB And How To Install It With Android SDK
THEN follow the instrustions on this link, once you do the first step (above link) then all you need to do is the steps 11 and 12 in this link:
http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-inspire-4g/60295-guide-installing-swype-beta-htc-inspire-4g.html
I swear it worked and I am fairly new at this computer and android stuff.

Smokeaire

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
Swype instructions has typos

Right now I'm five hours in, still failing to complete this seemingly simple task: Install any kind of swipe-style texting on an HTC Inspire 4G.

I successfully installed the driver and the AC Sideload Wonder Machine. I used AC-SWM to actually get the app "Swype Installer" (swypeinc.com) to even appear in my "All apps" list on the phone itself. Then I open the app and try to install, and choose the 10MB version.

The message: "Install blocked. For security, your phone is set to block installation of applications not obtained from Android Market."

So, I proceeded back to the Guide on this site:

This guide gets too complex for me on steps 11-12. I cannot figure out where I am supposed to type that long text string. The guide does not specify if that's on my phone, or on my PC, or where I am supposed to go to type said text string. I saw a reference to "open up your favorite terminal," but I have no idea what that means, or how that works together with AC-SWM and the phone.

So, I gave up on the forums and called AT&T. Spent 25 minutes on that call, only to be told I have to call HTC.

After 10 minutes on the phone with HTC, lady comes back and says flat-out: this phone cannot install non-Market apps. It's been made that way on purpose.

"Sir, there is no way for you to install any non-Market app to the Inspire."

Well... where can I go to suggest that a swipe-texting app be developed for the Android Market?

"Umm... you'd have to find someone who knows how to make Market apps."

Can anyone help? Am I being rational? Am I expecting too much out of this supposedly top-of-the-line Android device, after seeing several friends with older Android phones text with speed and efficiency?

I'm returning this phone if I can't get swipe-style texting. I've got 30 days, well 28 now, to return it. I believe swipe technology is the only way (as of now) to finger-text at the highest possible speeds. Using this phone by typing individual letters on a screen is slow, cumbersome, non-intuitive, and frustrating -- and totally wastes the crazy-awesome abilities of the Inspire.

My previous two phones, both unsatisfactory (a Samsung Blackjack II and an LG fliphone years ago), were much faster at texting. That's nauseating.

So if anyone can help me get swipe texting on my HTC Inspire, I would be eternally grateful. If I could buy an app that did this, I'd pay for it. But it doesn't exist (yet).

Thanks for reading.

I think I can help you. First I'm assuming you are referring to this thread: http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-inspire-4g/60295-guide-installing-swype-beta-htc-inspire-4g.html

I'm also assuming you can open the command prompt in windows. There are several typos in the original instructions. First, instruction#4: AC-SWM should be AC_SWM. At least in computer that is the file name. Second, in instruction#11 there should not be a ./ between /mypackage.apk ./ mypackage.apk It should be: mypackage.apk mypackage.apk
It took me a couple of hours to figure out the problem. Also I had my command window open and the instructions window open, and just did a copy/paste between the two..making the type changes as needed. That saved a lot of typing. Other than that I followed the instructions as written.
Btw: I'm using Swype to type this post.
Hope this helps.