The Inspire is going back

Thats what she said

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I've had iPhones since they came out, and I wanted to see what android had to offer so I bought an Inspire while I waited for the thunderbolt. I've had the phone coming on two weeks now, and I must say I'm not that impressed. Widgets are cool, but I only found 3-4 that were that useful. Live wallpapers are a waste since I am rarely looking at my background. Battery life was better than I was expecting, but still not the 2-3 days I was used to. The marketplace does not in any way compare. I hope it will soon, but as of now, I'll pass. There were many tungsten I liked about the device but I kept finding myself making excuses for it like, oh that will be fixed in an update probably. Three glaring things that I have no clue how google let's this happen: copy and paste is not uniform throughout the OS, double tapping the screen while on a page just zooms in; it doesn't zoom in and optimize for what you double tap on, and the text message app leaves much to be desired. I felt like I spent time trying to find apps that would add functionality that I was missing from the iPhone. I left impressed where android is now compared to a couple of years ago, but at times it felt very unfinished. Why are simple tasks like uninstalling an app require going through so many menus? Why do I have to install an app to see my battery percentage? I'll keep watching Android development, but for now back to the iPhone.

cobra302

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
i was the same when i first switched to android. you have to use an android device, and understand that it is not the iphone. if you continue to compare it to that os, it will never be the same. to me, the ios is entirely too simplistic. yes, it is pretty much push a button and it does something, but that about it. all iphones look alike except for whatever wallpaper you add, and even then, its still just a bunch of icons on a static image. after using android for almost a year, i cant go back. there is no way. android does everything i want and more. it just depends on how much time and effort you want to put into the os.

homescrub

Mar 1, 2011
twitter.com
I switched from an iPhone, and am much more satisfied with Android. Probably because how Google Voice integrates better with Android than iPhone, so yeah, that was my final decision to go Android. iPhone does a poor job of integrating applications with the OS, and thus why I dumped it.

iPhone push notifications are lazy, and only do it every 15 minutes, which is annoying. You have to sync your phone with iTunes for contacts, etc, that of which I found Android does this OTA without the need for iTunes or any PC app. That sold me to stay with Android.

Text messages is just as simple if not better than iPhone. The auto-correct with Android and availability to add words to your dictionary is a plus. That sold me to stay with Android.

The camera is probably good, if not better than iPhone 4. That sold me to stay with Android.

Email Push is amazing. Since I use GMail for personal and business, I am able to integrate my Exchange account without any problems. Also how it integrates my contacts, its just amazing. That sold me to stay with Android.

Google Maps with navigation. iPhone takes too long to load, and has no onboard navigation like Google Maps does. Enough to keep me sold on Android.

Labeling. Android has labels for emails, and calendar. Amazing integration with Google Calendars, which iPhone doesn't do, and pissed me off to the point that iPhone's Google Calender integration was abysmal! Enough to keep me sold on Android.

Widgets. Helpful as hell. Pandora. Facebook. Twitter. Weather. Mail. Text. Google Voice, News, YouTube, Slacker Radio, Maps, Picture Gallery, Quick Contacts. So many widgets that are beyond useful compared to the iPhone apps which you have to keep going into to see something. Annoying. With Android, especially on the HTC Inspire, they stay live and keep you current. Enough to keep me sold on Android.

Did I mention notification/push? If I did, its better than iPhone. Enough to keep me sold on Android.

Camera - 8MP camera, with amazing flash, and even allows you to do photo manips with one easy click. Enough to keep me sold on Android.

Android Market. Its not as great as the iPhone, but I know I found the apps needed to perform the tasks I needed my Android device to perform. iPhone is just full of games and not enough productivity, not like Android.

Calls. HTC Inspire has the ability to block callers! Yes, why Jailbreak an iPhone to use Blackbook (Via Cydia for $10) to block calls when the phone has this functionality enabled on the phone itself! The calls are clear and I can still use my iPhone headset with this phone. I have yet to lose a call. iPhone, happened every now and then. Annoying. Enough to keep me sold on Android.

You left a great phone with a great OS because you know nothing.

Duvi

Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
sorry to hear you didn't like the android experience and some times, an OS is just not for certain people.

c&p - wish it was better, but i really don't use it that much
apps - all i have to do is hit the menu key and select applications to delete
zoom - works for me, may not be flawless, but it wraps the text for me
sms - it does everything the iPhone does and more... download Handcent?

then again, i may not experience those issues as i'm using the atrix.

omg_its_kerri

Mar 6, 2011
anovelpursuit.com
I wasn't sure how I'd like Android after using an iPhone in the past. After a bit more than three weeks with my Inspire, I love Android.

Sms could be better, but I don't text that much, and it does what I need it to. I have a few widgets that I use constantly--something the iPhone lacked. I hated push updates in iOS. I always thought since Apple was so advanced, they find a better way to managed updates/notifications.

The Android Market isn't the App Store, and it probably never will be. The market, though, has some amazing apps in it, some that Apple won't allow in its store.

While my Inspire battery isn't as good as the iPhone 4, I'll stick with it. The Android OS just works better for me. I do agree though, that in order to make an informed decision, you have to want to learn the OS.

Sent via Tapatalk on the HTC Inspire 4G.

ddiehl

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
iPhone 3GS convert here.

Had my Inspire since it came out. Actually I think I got the first one at my local AT&T store. Loved it immediately, and still do.

What I miss about iPhone:

I still find myself reaching for the home/start button.

I think the iPhone was a lot smoother- screen transitions were WAY more fluid than my Inspire, even with Go Launcher EX.

I like how easy it was to add items to folders, and when you moved icons on the screen, the others self relocated. On my inspire, it seems you have to move one to another screen if the current one is full. Unless I'm not running the right app, or I'm missing something. I'm currently running Folder Organizer, which is awesome, but wish I could drag and drop items into, and between folders. Again maybe I'm missing something, or using the wrong app..

What I love about my Inspire:

I don't feel like I'm locked down. I can pretty much do what I want with MY device, not what some CEO tells me I can do.

I love how I can change ANYTHING. Including the battery. Even after a month, I still find myself tinkering with the settings.

Love the live wallpaper.

Everyday I'm finding something new about it.

Don't see myself ever going back. Already planning my next droid device..

Nilpo

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Why would you even attempt to compare iPhone to Android? It's like comparing apples and oranges.

They are two completely different animals bred for two completely different purposes.

iPhone is built for people who love to be blindfolded and walked around. It's pretty to look at and has a decent feature set. But that's it. It will never be more than it is the day you take it out of the box. You will only ever have as much as Apple gives you the day that you buy it.

Android is designed to allow the manufacturer AND the user to make the most of their phone. You can control and customize every layer of how the phone operates. Why do you have to install an app to see your battery usage? Because not everyone cares. The OS give you base functionality while allowing you to build a phone to your exact requirements without the overhead of anything you do not want or use.

You really cannot compare them.

Beezzy

May 31, 2010
Visit site
My Inspire is going back to. I need a good business phone and since I used my Atrix for almost everything (email, text, docs, gaming, music) so I thought the inspire would make a good business phone. The battery is the biggest bummer and for some reason the wifi is extremely weak compared to my Atrix. I think Im going to stay with my Atrix for my personal phone and go to a BB Torch for a business phone. Plus having BBM back wont be too.bad of a thing.

Sent from my Atrix 4G using Tapatalk

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
The Inspire is my very first smartphone and I love it! I never had any interest in getting an iPhone and I was waiting for Android to grow to a point where it would meet my needs. (also had to wait to be eligible for an upgrade) Having said that, I can definitely understand wanting to go back to an OS that you are familiar and comfortable with.

Four-Fifty-X

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I love Apple hardware, but I cannot stand the OS. One BCC for all email accounts? One sig for all email accounts? No widgets? Come on... It's like a Fisher Price OS...

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I also made the jump to Android from iPhone and will never look back. I was hesitant, thinking "now I'll have to re-buy all those apps" except that alot of the apps I paid for on iTunes are free on Market!

The ability to customize really won me over. The iPhone ui is so generic compared to Android. I hated how every time I got a new app and wanted to move it around, it would push all the apps behind it back. I then would have to go back and move them back. With Android, you choose where you want your app/gadget. If there's no room it doesn't shove stuff out of the way, it tells you to choose somewhere else. Also, you can put only what you want on the home screens and leave the stuff you don't use as much in the app folder. Try finding something on your iPhone if you have 160 apps (10 pages, in no order unless you put it that way)! Although Apple may have figured this out. My wife has a 3GS and it appears as though the latest firmware allows you to create folders (in the space of an app) and put multiple apps in them. Haven't been able to see how well it works.

My only complaint is the comparable battery life, but I feel like I can do so much more with my Inspire than I did on the iPhone, I'll deal with it.

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I wasn't sure how I'd like Android after using an iPhone in the past. After a bit more than three weeks with my Inspire, I love Android.

Sms could be better, but I don't text that much, and it does what I need it to. I have a few widgets that I use constantly--something the iPhone lacked. I hated push updates in iOS. I always thought since Apple was so advanced, they find a better way to managed updates/notifications.

The Android Market isn't the App Store, and it probably never will be. The market, though, has some amazing apps in it, some that Apple won't allow in its store.

While my Inspire battery isn't as good as the iPhone 4, I'll stick with it. The Android OS just works better for me. I do agree though, that in order to make an informed decision, you have to want to learn the OS.

Sent via Tapatalk on the HTC Inspire 4G.

Have you tried using Handcent for your messaging?

fully customizable to back grounds colors, text colors,notification icon colors,notification led color select,etc,etc) ability to send
the full 8MP pictures or 5MB files(I think stock is 2MB).

anon(4144202)

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Rumor has it blackberry messenger is coming to Android and ios.
My Inspire is going back to. I need a good business phone and since I used my Atrix for almost everything (email, text, docs, gaming, music) so I thought the inspire would make a good business phone. The battery is the biggest bummer and for some reason the wifi is extremely weak compared to my Atrix. I think Im going to stay with my Atrix for my personal phone and go to a BB Torch for a business phone. Plus having BBM back wont be too.bad of a thing.

Sent from my Atrix 4G using Tapatalk

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

sicks

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm coming from an iPhone 4 also, and so far I'd have to say I'm not sure if I like it or not. I love the phone itself, but I often find myself frustrated with certain aspects of android like the stock browser and the inability to change the default search engine from Google to anything else. The virtual keyboard isn't terrible, but not really good. Overall, I'm not finding android very intuitive either. This is just my opinion though, so please don't flame me. I'm definitely going to use and play with it some more before I decide to return or not though.

mc511

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
I am coming from an iPhone 3gs and I liked the phone I just could not stand ios at all anymore. It just wasn't deep enough to get into for me. Some things I like about android are

Push notifications: Sooo much better than the iPhone. Messages come through just fine and they are all organized in the notifications bar. Easier too deal with.

Keyboard and the vibration feedback: I type better on this keyboard than iPhone. Idk why but it has something to do with the vibration feedback.

Flash: nuff said

Notifications bar: keeps my messages I haven't read organized.

Widgets: probably the best thing about Android is the widgets. Friend stream is amazing. I find myself opening up the Facebook app much less which is a good thing. I dont have to search for an icon. The weather and time widget keeps my location. And works great.

I could go in but I feel like.Android is very far ahead of ios In Many areas. Apple needs a better notification system and widgets. Atleast let the weather widget change its icon. Every so often and the temp.

RazorOrange

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I was a longtime BB user and tried the iPhone for a while. I went back to BB because the ios was too plain and not customizable. I was used to the BB and how I could change everything. Now. I've had my Inspire for almost two weeks and I have to say I'm very happy with it. Howevr, it took me a week or so of tweaking to find a good user setup for me and to find the right apps to get it to do what I want (all for free from the android store). I think that is the best feature of the Android phones; the ability to make it whatever you want with apps and widgets...it is beyond amazing the amount of customization available.

I cam see why some of the iPhone crowd would be a little overwhelmed or confused because they are used to having it simple and done for them. But my Inspire experience is exactly what I want to make it...and that is why android rocks.

I downloaded handcent and it works great.

mthorn79

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm coming from an iPhone 4 also, and so far I'd have to say I'm not sure if I like it or not. I love the phone itself, but I often find myself frustrated with certain aspects of android like the stock browser and the inability to change the default search engine from Google to anything else. The virtual keyboard isn't terrible, but not really good. Overall, I'm not finding android very intuitive either. This is just my opinion though, so please don't flame me. I'm definitely going to use and play with it some more before I decide to return or not though.

About it having Google search engine as the default, thats the difference in Android, you can download a widget & make it your goto search engine. I can DL Yahoo Search from the Market & make it my search engine if I want. I'm not locked down like I would be with the iPhone.

So it doesn't make sense why you would complain about that.