Complaints about HTC Inspire

jeff7sr

Mar 4, 2011
www.7sidedrecords.com
Anyone have a tip on a good website that lists the best apps, so I can actually start using this phone with *any* level of efficiency? Everything takes forever, is hard to find, doesn't work right, etc.

You all have such interesting and useful-looking apps... (see this thread)... Does anyone know a good place where to find only the good apps? I've downloaded 300+ free from the Market, and almost all of them are disappointing and barely useful. I'm spending sooooo much time finding and trying apps, and I'm getting nowhere.

I bought this HTC Inspire in hopes that I would have a more efficient, fast-paced phone experience. But, it is just the opposite. Almost nothing is faster than it was on my Samsung Blackjack II, which was my last phone.

On this Inspire, it seems any simple task requires several swipes finger-taps on some small box… I just cannot figure out how to optimize my experience. Nothing is easy. Nothing is simple. Everything is complicated. This is not what I wanted.

I am unhappy with most of the apps I have gathered (including stock apps), mainly:
- camera/video capture and view (so cumbersome and slow to change options, and taking a photo is very difficult)
- I cannot give the phone to someone and have them take a photo – it is too difficult to operate for the unfamiliar person
- music player interface is non-intuitive and time-consuming to do anything, and there are 1,000 music-player apps to choose from
- internet browsers (mozilla/opera both not good)
- alarm options are terrible and very time-consuming to change (takes sooooo loooooong that I still use my OLD phone just for alarm purposes!)
- calendar reminders (apparently you must pay $$$ if you want to be able to snooze more than 3 hours on any reminder)
- the calendar program constantly has errors and asks me to force-close it
- the phone’s inability to let me voice dial with any sort of ease (feature does not work on stock app)
- Android moves my video files to *inconsistent* locations and only *some* cannot be viewed in the Gallery (very, very frustrating, considering I am a musician)
- microphone is the single-worst microphone I have used on any phone ever (everything is blown out and distorted)
- only certain widgets can be given shortcuts on the desktop (i.e. cannot get shortcut to change screen timeout length except for a three-setting widget that does not even tell you how long the time options are!)
- the list of all apps is completely unmanageable and horrible to use (why can’t we split the app list into the 10+ Market categories?)
- the phone forced ALL of my facebook friends (690+) into my contacts, and I can’t get them out. Now if I browse my contacts list to send a text, I have to browse ALL of my facebook friends too. This is one of the dumbest features in all of technology history. I wouldn’t need this phone if I just wanted to browse my friends list. What’s the point?
- at least once a day, the phone vibrates, I pick it up, and cannot find any reason why it vibrated (no notifications)
- the phone forcibly visits mobile versions of web pages, even when I turn the option off. I wouldn’t have gotten this supposedly high-end phone if I wanted mobile versions of web pages!!! This is SO annoying… way to waste all the functionality of this phone’s web-browsing technologies.
- sync options are too many and too difficult to understand. Some things sync all the time, yet others don’t sync at all.
- the alleged “folder shortcuts” are not shortcuts at all. Say you make a folder and fill it with 12 apps. You open the folder, open an app, use the app for 10 minutes. Then you quit the app, and the folder is still open! You cannot access anything on the phone “page” or “tile” itself, because the folder takes up the whole screen. These folders should not have been included in the OS if this is how they have to operate. So stupid. This is like being on a PC, clicking the “Start” menu to run a program, then playing a game for an hour, then you close the game and the “Start” menu is still open and preventing you from accessing anything until you close it.

That’s just what I can think of right now. I could go on and on forever.

I have a feeling that if someone, somewhere has identified the proper apps to use on this phone, then everything should run more smoothly. So far I feel like I got top-shelf technology that was somehow implemented by unqualified people who just didn’t care about the end-user experience.

There’s no point in taking technology into the future if logic has to retreat into the past.

Any links would be appreciated. I’m just tired of spending all this time (hours upon hours upon hours) trying to optimize this phone, and still being disappointed at every turn. Nothing gets better, nothing gets faster. All I get is more apps trying to take my money. If I wanted to give all my money away, I would’ve just bought an iPhone. At least those are intuitive to use.

I am hoping I have not made a giant two-year mistake by financially tethering myself to this phone.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

jeff7sr

Mar 4, 2011
www.7sidedrecords.com
Thanks Bluezero, I'll give Dolphin HD a try.

Opera and Mozilla both seem like they were designed for another type of phone. They have few options, and the options available are cumbersome to use. The standard "Internet" app is easily the best of the 3, but the Bookmarks list is unorganized and tiled, so it requires several downswipes to find anything you want. On my old phone, I could hit two quick keys to bring up favorites, then the letter I wanted (i.e. W for Weather, E for ESPN) and it would jump directly to the favorite. That is my main mechanism for using the internet on the phone, so right now it is very cumbersome for me to find any website I want.

I look forward to trying out Dolphin!

jeff7sr

Mar 4, 2011
www.7sidedrecords.com
Also, I would like to point out that this web site tries to charge me $2.95 to download some Tapatalk app *every*single*time* I visit this forum using my HTC Inspire.

This is not helpful.

schinner16

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Interesting I used to have the blackjack 2 as well. So far I've been very impressed with this inspire but at the same time you have been very specific with your complaints. I'm thinking your might be being a little to critical, personally I can think of quite a few issues the blackjack 2 had.

It sounds to me like you need to set up your home pages a little better.

As for the specific issues I can't help you as I'm only on day 3 with this phone, sorry

mrro82

Mr. Ro.
Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Wow. Try being on a BlackBerry and seeing how well that works for you. Obviously this phone isn't for you. All I've seen from you is complaints about this phone. Move on.Try something else.

Reactions: displacedtexan

Mycopsycho

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm still on my BB9700 but want to move to the Inspire when my I'm eligible for an upgrade in a couple of months. ITMT, I've been following these AC forms closely and reading the Android user guide and the Inspire user guide to better understand this new world. I'm well aware of the compromises I will have to make giving up my BB but I think the positives out weigh the negatives, which I'll learn to live with. I've also compiled a list of the widgets/apps I would install or at least seriously look at when I get my new phone from the postings on this forum. I'm sure I'll further refine this list over time. Here they are FWIW:

Launcher Pro Plus (causes crashes?)
Curvefish - power saver
Wi-Fi On/Off
Bluetooth On/Off
Brightness
GPS On/Off
Poynt
Kindle for Android
Aces Cribbage
My-Cast Weather
Dropbox
Dictionary.com
Bloomberg News
Documents To Go
Beautiful Widgets
Vignette
B-Folders
ADW Launcher EX (strong recs)
Weatherbug Elite
Google Reader (RSS)
Advanced Task Killer
Compass
Lookout Mobile Security [http://jointlogic.com/b-folders/2/]
Juice Defender
TrafficStats
SwiftKey Keyboard
Scan2PDF
FolderOrganizer
SetCPU

jeff7sr

Mar 4, 2011
www.7sidedrecords.com
Mycopsycho- Wow, thank you for that huge list! I'm going to start looking at those apps tonight. That's great.

mrro82- You're right, this phone is not what I expected. The stereotypes about Android are not true. I was led to believe there would be huge amounts of free apps, when actually they are *severely-limited* apps that prompt you to pay if you want anything close to what the app advertised. Also, I was led to believe Android was user-friendly and easy to learn... what I'm learning is everyone has to be an Android expert to do anything truly good with the phone. Almost everyone on this site has their phone "rooted", and that is something far beyond me right now.

If I had known I had to go through a "rooting" process to get the full power of an Android phone, I would've just gotten an iPhone or BlackBerry. Those were the other two in my Final 3 Choices.

And for the record, this phone does do one thing really well, and ironically it's taking photos.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'll be sure to do more forum-reading in two years when I get the chance to leave the Android world.

Ronindan

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Anyone have a tip on a good website that lists the best apps, so I can actually start using this phone with *any* level of efficiency? Everything takes forever, is hard to find, doesn't work right, etc.

You all have such interesting and useful-looking apps... (see this thread)... Does anyone know a good place where to find only the good apps? I've downloaded 300+ free from the Market, and almost all of them are disappointing and barely useful. I'm spending sooooo much time finding and trying apps, and I'm getting nowhere.

I bought this HTC Inspire in hopes that I would have a more efficient, fast-paced phone experience. But, it is just the opposite. Almost nothing is faster than it was on my Samsung Blackjack II, which was my last phone.

On this Inspire, it seems any simple task requires several swipes finger-taps on some small box? I just cannot figure out how to optimize my experience. Nothing is easy. Nothing is simple. Everything is complicated. This is not what I wanted.

I am unhappy with most of the apps I have gathered (including stock apps), mainly:
- camera/video capture and view (so cumbersome and slow to change options, and taking a photo is very difficult)
- I cannot give the phone to someone and have them take a photo ? it is too difficult to operate for the unfamiliar person
- music player interface is non-intuitive and time-consuming to do anything, and there are 1,000 music-player apps to choose from
- internet browsers (mozilla/opera both not good)
- alarm options are terrible and very time-consuming to change (takes sooooo loooooong that I still use my OLD phone just for alarm purposes!)
- calendar reminders (apparently you must pay $$$ if you want to be able to snooze more than 3 hours on any reminder)
- the calendar program constantly has errors and asks me to force-close it
- the phone?s inability to let me voice dial with any sort of ease (feature does not work on stock app)
- Android moves my video files to *inconsistent* locations and only *some* cannot be viewed in the Gallery (very, very frustrating, considering I am a musician)
- microphone is the single-worst microphone I have used on any phone ever (everything is blown out and distorted)
- only certain widgets can be given shortcuts on the desktop (i.e. cannot get shortcut to change screen timeout length except for a three-setting widget that does not even tell you how long the time options are!)
- the list of all apps is completely unmanageable and horrible to use (why can?t we split the app list into the 10+ Market categories?)
- the phone forced ALL of my facebook friends (690+) into my contacts, and I can?t get them out. Now if I browse my contacts list to send a text, I have to browse ALL of my facebook friends too. This is one of the dumbest features in all of technology history. I wouldn?t need this phone if I just wanted to browse my friends list. What?s the point?
- at least once a day, the phone vibrates, I pick it up, and cannot find any reason why it vibrated (no notifications)
- the phone forcibly visits mobile versions of web pages, even when I turn the option off. I wouldn?t have gotten this supposedly high-end phone if I wanted mobile versions of web pages!!! This is SO annoying? way to waste all the functionality of this phone?s web-browsing technologies.
- sync options are too many and too difficult to understand. Some things sync all the time, yet others don?t sync at all.
- the alleged ?folder shortcuts? are not shortcuts at all. Say you make a folder and fill it with 12 apps. You open the folder, open an app, use the app for 10 minutes. Then you quit the app, and the folder is still open! You cannot access anything on the phone ?page? or ?tile? itself, because the folder takes up the whole screen. These folders should not have been included in the OS if this is how they have to operate. So stupid. This is like being on a PC, clicking the ?Start? menu to run a program, then playing a game for an hour, then you close the game and the ?Start? menu is still open and preventing you from accessing anything until you close it.

That?s just what I can think of right now. I could go on and on forever.

I have a feeling that if someone, somewhere has identified the proper apps to use on this phone, then everything should run more smoothly. So far I feel like I got top-shelf technology that was somehow implemented by unqualified people who just didn?t care about the end-user experience.

There?s no point in taking technology into the future if logic has to retreat into the past.

Any links would be appreciated. I?m just tired of spending all this time (hours upon hours upon hours) trying to optimize this phone, and still being disappointed at every turn. Nothing gets better, nothing gets faster. All I get is more apps trying to take my money. If I wanted to give all my money away, I would?ve just bought an iPhone. At least those are intuitive to use.

I am hoping I have not made a giant two-year mistake by financially tethering myself to this phone.

Thanks for reading.

I actually the apps I use all came from the market and most of them are free.

A couple of things from your reading your post.

What is wrong with the stock browser? It is fast and straight forward.

Facebook contacts, you do have the options not to sync your face book contacts at all to your phone. It actually prompts you when you install facebook.

For the music player, have you tried winamp: it is free and comes with a desktop software as well so you can sync your music and play list.

Hope this helps a bit.

Ronindan

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Mycopsycho- Wow, thank you for that huge list! I'm going to start looking at those apps tonight. That's great.

mrro82- You're right, this phone is not what I expected. The stereotypes about Android are not true. I was led to believe there would be huge amounts of free apps, when actually they are *severely-limited* apps that prompt you to pay if you want anything close to what the app advertised. Also, I was led to believe Android was user-friendly and easy to learn... what I'm learning is everyone has to be an Android expert to do anything truly good with the phone. Almost everyone on this site has their phone "rooted", and that is something far beyond me right now.

If I had known I had to go through a "rooting" process to get the full power of an Android phone, I would've just gotten an iPhone or BlackBerry. Those were the other two in my Final 3 Choices.

And for the record, this phone does do one thing really well, and ironically it's taking photos.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'll be sure to do more forum-reading in two years when I get the chance to leave the Android world.

One thing as well, you don't have to root your phone to enjoy it. Rooting just gives you more control of your devices. That being said it does not remedy you from being overwhelmed by your device. Relax and look at your options when it comes to apps. Some apps are bad and some apps are good. Some apps are for free, some are paid and some comes in both. But that problem is found in all of the platforms (IOS, BB, Webos & Winphone).

By the way if you are looking for apps in the marketplace. It is better if you actually use the search function than browsing.

clintrojan

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
It seems to be the case that Android might not be for you. My girlfriend and mother both tried my phone and was overwhelming in the android environment (also I have altered my phone to my liking [not rooted])

Android is open and is a little overwhelming at first, but like anything great it takes time to learn.

You might like the iphone better, or even WP7. I find that WP7 is very intuitive and great for someone who isn't really interested in iphone but isn't ready for the openness of android.

If the market is a big concern then iphone is the way to go. Of course they have had a head start, and all apps are put through hoops before they reach the app store. Android market welcomes almost anything, so it is important to read comments before you download.

Android isn't for everyone, just as iphone/WP7 have their own niche as well. Just because android isn't right for you, don't blame the OS.

To me iOS is like a room with lots of pretty pictures and nice for people who enjoy the pictures presented, but don't think that you are going to be able to pretty it up any. Android is like an open room with both the beautiful and hideous sometimes, and you are able to contribute and fix the room up any way you like.

As for WP7, I haven't used as much and it is still trying to establish itself.

If you decide you want to stick with the inspire (you should if it is right for you, great device) then I will try to go through your concerns. That is if someone else doesn't beat me to it.

Mikeys-Htc-Inspire

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I Really don't understand that >>> jeff7sr is so unhappy about a brand new awesome device like this...GOOD GOD, I have Htc tilt2 , Iphone 3gs 32 gig, samsung captivate galaxy S...too many before these, anyway I love this smart phone / device... iphone apps, captivates android app's, to me a 50 year old guy who is very tech savy understand all to well that this is an awesome device and if you read just a bit and try to play around with it some you'll find its blows away that blackjack 2 by far, no comparisons can even be made... know this device is brand new and in short order their will be tons of crap for it, their already is tons but a lot of the apps are older so make sure you get the latest and updated apps. also you might research the apps, don't just start downloading them and then get upset at the phone, remember the apps don't kill the phone/devices >> PEOPLE DO...lmao just take it easy and try to enjoy it and read a bit more about it.

google the device and see what's out there for it....I really do think this is a great device and I already know more apps are coming soon...just about daily in fact.... like you said taking pictures are good right, so is the camcorder and the music features as well. I'm comparing this device to the list of devices I listed and this one blows all of the older ones away. to me a lot of the apps are geared for kids and have about zero interest to me, I do love the useful apps and I have found to many useful apps to list here already...

I love new technology and that is what this is, it's new now so just enjoy and discover all the very cool features to play with. Right now I'm kicked back watching comcast cable and changing channels and reading reviews and setting up programs to record with my new device the "Htc Inspire" now how sweet is that, even turns into a remote, oh and I can watch all my comcast cable on this device for free, no extra charge....nice nice

have fun

ps. I can see my own web site in full view and love it, have a look..
Adult Gamerz Network ? "A Family of Friends with a Passion for Gaming" we play war games, have a look and join if you like, mention that the Godfather asked you to stop by..

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance