Inspire to Atrix back to Inspire

mdunn1066

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Well, im off to the ATT store tomorrow to exchange my Atrix for the Inspire. I originally had an Inspire from release but decided to switch over to the atrix to give it a shot 3 weeks ago.

The inspire, even with it's low speaker volume, and less than average battery life, is a much more well built, superior phone. The Atrix has a lot of untapped potential that is bogged down and completely negated by Blur. Lag spikes, unresponsive lock/unlock screens, unresponsive keyboard, random heat spikes (phone got red hot in my pocket in more than one occasion, powered down and let it cool for a bit)

Maybe I had a Lemon, i dont know, but I can def. say I will be much happier with the Inspire tomorrow morning :)

My att sales rep is gonna think im crazy though, exchanging for the 3rd time >.<

artypsychgirl

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for sharing. I was debating a switch to the atrix from inspire myself. I decided I prob wasnt going to be using the extra processor speed anyway but I do use the camera a lot so it seemed logical to stick w/ inspire. Just been frustrated w/ the excessively sensitive screen. I feel more confident now reading your post.

mdunn1066

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Yeah. Well having the Dual Core is nice for being future proof, but i really dont think ill be doing heaps of gaming on my phone. The Inspire (and many other phones) is at that plateau where to do the things almost every other phone does (browse, text, email, watch videos) Much more horsepower is not needed.

Your inspire's screen is excessively sensitive, how so?

And yeah, the Inspire's camera is leaps and bounds better than the Atrix's.

Don't take my post as a bash on the Atrix though, its a great device, and if i had to live with it as an everyday phone, it would certainly suffice. Im a tough crowd when it comes to phones tho :p

clintrojan

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
The atrix is going to be the lesser phone until you get custom Rom to optimize its potential. Motoblur kills it.

I tried out the laptop dock at the store and I would not replace my laptop with that. It ran really slow for some reason. It would take firefox atleast a minute to open after clicking it. With the atrix's hardware that is unacceptable.

thinksInCode

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Don't feel bad, dude! I did the exact same thing. Bought an Inspire, was tempted by the Atrix, so I returned the Inspire. I just wasn't feeling the Atrix, so I returned it and got the Inspire again.

My AT&T rep did warn me that this was the last time they would allow two returns/exchanges, but they did let me do it. Good luck :)

dressagerider

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I had the atrix on trial and returned it for the inspire and am very pleased with my choice.

The atrix has the potential to be a great phone, but as for now it just looks good on paper. By the time the network and the apps catch up to the hardware of the atrix, new and better phone will be out there to choose from.

My atrix screen just did not look good to me. Maybe because of the small size? I like the look and feel of the inspire much better.

Photos and videos are much better quality on the inspire, in my opinion, and I can upload and share my videos very easily from my inspire. I could never send a video from the atrix??

My atrix lagged, and got hot a good bit. Motoblur is terrible! I thought it was no big deal and did not understand why people disliked it so much until I had it. I felt like I was constantly downloading apps, widgets, launchers and so much from the market just to override motoblur as much as possible.

Sense is great! I had iphones recently (but was a past android user) and sense is much better than ios.

The battery life is not as good as the atrix for sure, but I can live with that as I like every other aspect of the phone so much better.

Good luck in your switch back!

thinksInCode

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
My biggest issue with the Atrix was the screen, as well. Super high resolution, small physical screen = tiny, hard to read text. Also hated Blur.

And, call me paranoid, but the Atrix also has a higher SAR value than the Inspire.

So, the combination of those three led me to return it. :)

Garz

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I did the same. Inspire to Atrix and back to the Inspire. I love the Inspire and wont be exchanging again

EvoXOhio

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I bought the atrix and returned it are 3 days for the inspire. The atrix had a lot of problems - squeaking/creaking from the cheap plasticky build, horrible touch response on the toys green, lots of UI lag, it got very hot, and the text on the screen was so small it was often hard to read (and I have 20/10 vision.)

I have no issues with my inspire. The only annoyances are AT&T stuff like no side loading, all the bloatware that starts up on the background that you can't remove without rooting (YP, asphalt 5, etc.) those are minor annoyances that I could fix with rooting, but other than that the phone is fantastic.

It still amazes me how the atrix with a smaller battery, less ram, half the processing speed is such a better phone than the atrix, and the inspire feels so much faster in every way. It's a combination of bad hardware, motoblur, and froyo not being optimized for dual core that made the atrix such a stinker of a phone.

Dilrod

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Well, im off to the ATT store tomorrow to exchange my Atrix for the Inspire. I originally had an Inspire from release but decided to switch over to the atrix to give it a shot 3 weeks ago.

The inspire, even with it's low speaker volume, and less than average battery life, is a much more well built, superior phone. The Atrix has a lot of untapped potential that is bogged down and completely negated by Blur. Lag spikes, unresponsive lock/unlock screens, unresponsive keyboard, random heat spikes (phone got red hot in my pocket in more than one occasion, powered down and let it cool for a bit)

Maybe I had a Lemon, i dont know, but I can def. say I will be much happier with the Inspire tomorrow morning :)

My att sales rep is gonna think im crazy though, exchanging for the 3rd time >.<

Did you do an upgrade? If so, let me know if you get to exchange it. Our policy is only ONE exchange during the 30 day return period (30 days from date of purchase from original device) The only way around this is if they reversed your upgrade. Of course if you bought the phones out right, then you can exchange them provided you do it 30 days from the day you purchased it.

mdunn1066

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Did you do an upgrade? If so, let me know if you get to exchange it. Our policy is only ONE exchange during the 30 day return period (30 days from date of purchase from original device) The only way around this is if they reversed your upgrade. Of course if you bought the phones out right, then you can exchange them provided you do it 30 days from the day you purchased it.

Well, when i bought the inspire originally on feb 13th i did an early upgrade. So when I went into the store the other morning the guy told me that i was too far out of the exchange period because i wasnt aware that you use the feb 13th date and not the day I exchanged the inspire for the atrix. He was the manager and he said if i had come in a week earlier he would have done the exchange for me anyway because im a good customer with him. My whole family uses his store and we have been for years, so he knows us.

I was disappointed needless to say but he told me to hold on, and looked something up on the computer. He showed me how much a mint Atrix is going for on ebay and it turned out to be more than i paid for it because of the early upgrade, so with this knowledge i went and bought the Inspire outright, and my Atrix is on ebay right now :)

Could have been better, but hey, I got the phone I want, and maybe made a little extra cash in a few days time. Right now my credit card is maxed from that little transaction :p

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Well, when i bought the inspire originally on feb 13th i did an early upgrade. So when I went into the store the other morning the guy told me that i was too far out of the exchange period because i wasnt aware that you use the feb 13th date and not the day I exchanged the inspire for the atrix. He was the manager and he said if i had come in a week earlier he would have done the exchange for me anyway because im a good customer with him. My whole family uses his store and we have been for years, so he knows us.

I was disappointed needless to say but he told me to hold on, and looked something up on the computer. He showed me how much a mint Atrix is going for on ebay and it turned out to be more than i paid for it because of the early upgrade, so with this knowledge i went and bought the Inspire outright, and my Atrix is on ebay right now :)

Could have been better, but hey, I got the phone I want, and maybe made a little extra cash in a few days time. Right now my credit card is maxed from that little transaction :p

I just had a friend tell me to stay with the Inspire and not to move to the Atrix. At least in your case, you got what you wanted. I'm sure you'll sell the Atrix without any issues.

heavykrush

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I purchased the Atrix online. I came off an Iphone 3G and the Atrix was leaps and bounds faster. I was 3 days from the 30 day point when I took the Atrix back for a replacement because of the poor voice quality. I noticed a poster for the Inspire hanging on the wall at the ATT store. I didn't realize that it was a 4G phone. With only 3 days left to work with the Atrix I was a bit skeptical on whether the voice quality issue would be resolved with a simple swap so I jumped over to the Inspire. I have to say I love this phone! It has a low volume speaker compared to the Atrix, but its better in almost every other way. Plus the VPN works on the Inspire where it didn't on the Atrix. Very happy with my choice.

mdunn1066

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I just had a friend tell me to stay with the Inspire and not to move to the Atrix. At least in your case, you got what you wanted. I'm sure you'll sell the Atrix without any issues.

Already sold it for 485. Probably could have gotten more but considering the situation, thats not a bad trade off, especially now that i'll have a phone im happy with. :)

BrianTufo

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Funny because I just completed the exact same cycle as the OP. Started with the Inspire then switched to Atrix for 3+ weeks. Decided to come back to Inspire thanks to the locked bootloader and lack of development for the phone Motorola killed from the start.

HeavyArms504

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I also did this, got inspire, atrix, inspire. I felt that a big reason why i kept the inspire the second time was definitely the build quality, top notch

Tmoc35

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I Just did the whole Atrix Vs Inspire Dance.... Walmart was selling the Atrix for 148$ and was inside my upgrade time. So I went with it & now coming from a blackberry I wanted to be fair but I use my phone for work, the Atrix just isnt not a work phone heated up twice, feels cheap in my hands. Inspire just feels like a soild phone ran 3 benchmark tests & yes its not the same high scores as the atrix but when your OS isnt set up to use the dual core & the UI is just over bloated just kills what should of been a great phone.
The Inspire 4g so far is a damn good phone everything out the box just works no massive set up crap, Sense is simple & actually makes sense in how its used. Blur is just clunky everything is a jumble.

Last edited:

BrianTufo

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I Just did the whole Atrix Vs Inspire Dance.... Walmart was selling the Atrix for 148$ and was inside my upgrade time. So I went with it & now coming from a blackberry I wanted to be fair but I use my phone for work, the Atrix just isnt not a work phone heated up twice, feels cheap in my hands. Inspire just feels like a soild phone ran 3 benchmark tests & yes its not the same high scores as the atrix but when your OS isnt set up to use the dual core & the UI is just over bloated just kills what should of been a great phone.
The Inspire 4g so far is a damn good phone everything out the box just works no massive set up crap, Sense is simple & actually makes sense in how its used. Blur is just clunky everything is a jumble.

Agreed although I'm not using sense. I'm rooted and running CyanogenMod 7 so its basically stock android which is AWESOME. Yes the benchmark on Inspire isvless but in the grand scheme of things that's about all the Atrix has going for it, well that and the battery. I'm currently on 12 hours off charger with moderate use today and am sitting at 37% left. Not too shabby for me.

Sent from my HTC Inspire 4G running CyanogenMod 7 using Tapatalk.

mdunn1066

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Agreed although I'm not using sense. I'm rooted and running CyanogenMod 7 so its basically stock android which is AWESOME. Yes the benchmark on Inspire isvless but in the grand scheme of things that's about all the Atrix has going for it, well that and the battery. I'm currently on 12 hours off charger with moderate use today and am sitting at 37% left. Not too shabby for me.

Sent from my HTC Inspire 4G running CyanogenMod 7 using Tapatalk.

I would like to root mine and such, if not just for the 20% increased speaker volume but it seems like a difficult and risky process compared to say, the nexus one