Greetings. I'm new to Android and AC, although I've been studying and lurking for a year or two before I finally pulled the trigger and got an Inspire. Other than the speaker, and to a lesser degree, the battery, I'm loving the phone. I am having an issue that I'm curious if it's normal or if it's just my phone.

Several times now the G-Sensor has gotten stuck (for lack of a better word). I have tried re-calibrating through the settings, but it remains stuck. It doesn't happen every time I use the phone, but it has happened at least five times now, and I've only had the phone two weeks. To be clear, everything will be working fine, then I'll try to rotate the screen or play a game that was working earlier, but the screen won't rotate or the game controls. For example, when playing the Asphalt 5 demo, or the free version of Labyrinth, it's as if the sensor is stuck leaning hard to the bottom of the phone and no tilting will make any difference. Both games run fine most of the time, but then suddenly the tilting won't do anything. A full power off, then back on, will clear up the issue until it happens again.

I have not rooted the phone or loaded any custom ROMs.

Is this something I should expect, or is there an issue with my specific phone?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tah Tah For Now
    Scott (Tigger#76) Stockton
    03-28-2011 09:12 PM
    I had what sounds like the same problem you are having when I first got my inspire about a month ago. I searched and searched and finally found a post that said its the live wallpaper. And sure enough when I chAnged to a regular wallpaper and reset my phone it fixed the problem. I have since then downloaded a live wallpaper from.the Android market and it has worked fine with no problems sticking in landscape. Hope this helps.
    Tigger76 likes this.
    03-29-2011 11:21 AM
    Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, I haven't been using the live wallpapers (in order to conserve a little more battery), so that's not the issue in my case. Still, that's good to know in case I decide to use a live wallpaper.
    03-29-2011 12:54 PM
    I've had the Inspire and I have had this issue since day one. This is really a pain in my *** because this is THE only issue I have with my phone. I have searched the internet everyday with no answer. I too do not use live wallpaper so I don't know what the issue is. Please help me and Tigger out somebody!!
    03-31-2011 12:55 AM
    Just a quick update. I've tracked my problem down to a couple of specific applications. I sort of thought it had to be something app related since power off/on would fix it (instead of having to tap the phone or bump it on anything).

Anyway, I don't have any issues with the G-Sensor sticking unless I run the Asphalt 5 demo or the free/trial version of Raging Thunder 2 (both are racing games). As long as I don't run either of these games, the phone works great (not running Asphalt 5 is not a problem now since it basically expired or something).
    04-09-2011 02:35 AM
    Just a quick update. I've tracked my problem down to a couple of specific applications. I sort of thought it had to be something app related since power off/on would fix it (instead of having to tap the phone or bump it on anything).

Anyway, I don't have any issues with the G-Sensor sticking unless I run the Asphalt 5 demo or the free/trial version of Raging Thunder 2 (both are racing games). As long as I don't run either of these games, the phone works great (not running Asphalt 5 is not a problem now since it basically expired or something).
    I'm fairly certain that apps that run in landscape mode only are the culprits, although it seems that only a few (specifically games) cause this problem. Part of the issue is that it may be caused by a combination of apps rather than one or a few specifically; I didn't see this problem when demoing Asphalt 5, but did with Meganoid. Once I uninstalled that game everything worked as it should. I would suggest removing landscape apps that you have installed (since you cannot remove any preinstalled applications without rooting and the phone seems to work fine out of the box) and see if that doesn't eventually resolve the issue.
    Tigger76 likes this.
    04-10-2011 02:54 PM
    I'm fairly certain that apps that run in landscape mode only are the culprits, although it seems that only a few (specifically games) cause this problem. Part of the issue is that it may be caused by a combination of apps rather than one or a few specifically; I didn't see this problem when demoing Asphalt 5, but did with Meganoid. Once I uninstalled that game everything worked as it should. I would suggest removing landscape apps that you have installed (since you cannot remove any preinstalled applications without rooting and the phone seems to work fine out of the box) and see if that doesn't eventually resolve the issue.
    Thanks for the added tips. At this point, I know I can stay away from one or two apps and be fine. My daughter likes to play the racing games when she's in the booster seat in the back of the car, so I'm leaving them on there for now. I just know that I need to reboot the phone when I get it back, and that's not too big of a deal. I also learned to put the phone into airplane mode before I let her play with it. Nothing like a curious kid to find out how easy it is to buy add-ons and/or full versions of software while you're not looking...LOL
    04-11-2011 11:17 PM
    I believe I might have a very simple solution to all these problems. I could be way wrong, but just try it. My brother and I figured this out when we'd randomly have frozen keyboards.

It's the proximity sensor. It's just to the right of the earpiece when you look at the phone head-on. If you have a finger or your hand too close to it, everything stops. The fact that people have been reporting these issues in landscape mode only is what makes me think this might be your issue as well. Try all the things you've been having issues with, but while being extra careful to stay away from the proximity sensor. It's actually harder to do than you'd think, and I'm a bit annoyed at the placement.
    Tigger76 likes this.
    04-11-2011 11:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD