I just got my AT&T Inspire phone 2 days ago. I haven't done anything to it other than make a few phone calls and send a few texts.

I'm trying to figure out how to connect my phone to my computer so can back everything up just in case I mess things up somehow. I was surprised to see that no CD was included in the box, so I figured maybe the software was stored on the phone. So I connected it and went to the USB menu and chose "HTC Sync."

A window popped up on my computer monitor that said "installing software." Cool.

Then after a few seconds I got a "software was not installed" message, and then a window opened up that said:

Download and install the driver for your mobile phone

Your mobile phone is missing a driver.
    The model name of your mobile phone is T-Mobile myTouch 4G.
    Well, my phone is certainly not a T-Mobile myTouch 4G, because it is an AT&T Inspire 4G.

Anyway, when I clicked that link, it took me to a page and tried to get me to download "myTouch 4G USB Tethering driver | 11.03.2010."

I didn't download it, because that's certainly not what I have, nor does it sound like what I want.

Ok, on to the next option.

A window popped up on my phone that said I can either download the HTC Sync software from HTC - Support or I can install it from the SD card.

So I figure I will just install it from the SD card.

So I did mount as disk drive and went through all the folders, but there is nothing with a name even remotely close to "HTC Sync" so I cannot find it on the SD drive.

Alright, on to that website.

The closest option I can find is:
    Application - HTC Sync for all HTC Android Phones & HTC Smart

I have an Android phone, so "all HTC Android Phones" sounds like it applies to me, right?

That download page says it's the software for:

This software is suitable for the following devices : HTC Gratia, HTC Desire HD, HTC Aria, HTC Wildfire, HTC Desire, HTC Legend, HTC Smart, HTC Tattoo, HTC Hero ( Android 2.1 ), HTC Hero, HTC Magic, HTC Desire Z
    My phone is not listed, so now I'm hesitant to download that, too. I don't want the wrong software.

So my questions:

1) Where do I get the HTC Sync software for my AT&T Inspire 4G?
    2) Why isn't it on the SD card?
    3) Why does HTC's website not list my phone?
    4) is there a way to back up my phone (like I back up my computer) so that in the event that I install something that messes everything up, I can just do a "recovery" and put things "back the way they were"?

My apologies if some of these questions can be answered from searching... I'm brand new to all of this and I don't even know what terms to search for. My previous phone was a Samsung Blackjack I that I had for 3 years.

Thanks!
    04-02-2011 08:48 PM
    04-02-2011 11:36 PM
    Mine did the same thing initially metalhead. I used the link iTroldahl posted & all is well.
    04-03-2011 12:00 AM
    I will try that. Thanks!
    04-03-2011 12:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD