E, H+, or G?

thatguyjeff

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Woke my phone from sleep the other day, I think it was Saturday. And I swear, for a brief moment I saw a "G" where I normally see the H+/E.

It's possible my eyes deceived me. Dunno.

FWIW - I'm in MSP and there was an article in one of the local papers recently about how ATT is actively upgrading/backhauling the towers in MSP.

FYI...

nutt_case

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
G stands for GPRS

E is for EDGE

H+ is for HSPA or 3G

That being said, I work in an area that has spotty 3G coverage and my phone is constantly switching back and forth between H+ and E. Most times when it switches it shows G for a few seconds. I also had a BBerry for two years and it did the exact same thing so I'm assuming it's ok as long as it doesn't stay on G.

Reactions: thatguyjeff

numetheus

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Woke my phone from sleep the other day, I think it was Saturday. And I swear, for a brief moment I saw a "G" where I normally see the H+/E.

It's possible my eyes deceived me. Dunno.

FWIW - I'm in MSP and there was an article in one of the local papers recently about how ATT is actively upgrading/backhauling the towers in MSP.

FYI...

It just means that there was no response from the tower when your phone tried to discover if edge or hspa. It could be low signal or simply a slow responding tower.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

nutt_case

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
If you live in an area where Edge gives you better reception, in settings you can set it to Gsm only.
This will also give you longer battery life.

I've tried setting to gsm only and gsm auto, with both settings my phone still switches back and forth from edge to hspa.

Iphone and Blackberry both have the option to use 2g (edge) only in the network settings. The inspire's network settings menu has several options that are locked, leading me to believe that ATT has simply disabled this feature.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeneral2