I am thinking about picking this phone up soon. I was wondering how is the performance compared to the captivate?
    05-09-2011 10:54 AM
    Well I never had a captivate but I did have the epic 4G wich is basically the same phone and I can say that this phone runs much smoother than the galaxy s phone do far. The only thing I have fond better on the epic that the inspire is the screen and battery life but there aren't my phones out there right now that can compete with Samsung super amoled displays. But as far as performance I would say go with the inspire.
    05-09-2011 12:07 PM
    personally i would skip the captivate and go inspire or wait for the infuse releases on may 15.
    05-09-2011 12:48 PM
    As an owner of both the captivate and the Inspire, I would go with the Inspire hands down for a few reasons:
    1. HTC has a much better track record with updates
    2. The hardware feels more solid and much better built than the Captivate.
    3. Better camera with Flash (captivate lacks a flash).
    4. GPS actually works ( I spent hours and hours trying to get a lock on the Captivate to no avail, and I even went so far as to flash custom roms that advertised a GPS fix. Still to this day not a single lock on).
    5. It has pseudo-4G which is a minor speed increase from the Captivate

That's not to say the Captivate isn't a great phone though, because it is. It has a larger custom Rom scene, probably due to the age of the phone and utter lack of support from Samsung. The screen also looks WAYYY better than the Inspire's. When I first got the Inspire and held them side by side I was very disappointed in the clarity of the HTC screen ( I almost returned it immediately). The Captivate screen is also slightly more responsive to touch, although that might be due to my 2 foot thick screen protector on my Inspire.

There are more reasons to go with the Inspire I'm missing but I'm in a rush sorry.

Also I would pass on the Infuse, it will lack support from Samsung just like all their phones (so I've heard).

EDIT: You asked about performance sorry. I've noticed little difference in the overall perfromance of the 2 phones. The Inspire has more RAM but the Captivate has a slightly better processor (So I've read, I haven't noticed any differences). The HTC Sense might be MARGINALLY faster but its really too hard for me to tell.
    homescrub likes this.
    05-09-2011 06:36 PM
    Thanks for all the input guys. I think I am leaning more towards picking up the Inspire.
    05-09-2011 07:59 PM
    As an owner of a Captivate and an Inspire both are very good phones. But i would have to say that the Inspire is better
    1. Not normally a fan of custom UI's but HTC Sense is better than Touchwiz
    2.The Camera is much better and it actually has a flash
    3.Better build quality. Feels very solid i wish more would use aluminum. Samsung tends to use a bit to much plastic. But because of the use of aluminum you will notice a definite weight gain. But It's doesnt bother me because it feels more solid.

But the captivate has advantages over the Inspire.
    1. Samsung continues to be very friendly to the hacker community. Which is why there are so many custom roms out there for it. HTC on the other had has kind of a love hate relationship with it.
    2. The display. The new new Infuse of going to have 4.5" of SAMOLED goodness. That is one thing i do like about the Captivate is that the display is beautiful. The Inspire is a bit of a letdown.
    Overall i am happy with my Inspire even though i am still getting to know my device. But i still have my Cappy around. It's a good solid phone that i was happy with
    05-09-2011 08:47 PM
    I haven't had my Inspire long enough to tell, but my old samsungs (E250 and Impression) could go through anything and still function just like new. they were very durable and "un"breakable. this HTC seems like it has a pretty solid build, but I'm still too careful with it
    05-09-2011 09:08 PM
    am i the only one in this world who despises sense to the fullest? lol o well....

Captivate/Other samsung android phones: build quality has been superb it is plasticky but feels so solid no creaks or issues and the screens are amazing. i personally find touchwiz much less intrusive once you use a launcher. only and i mean the only downside to samsung is they have been slow with updates maybe with the infuse and galaxy s 2 they will learn but who knows.

Htc inspire/other htc devices: HTC has a very solid track record and are the first handset maker to work with android it all comes down to whether you love or hate sense. There phone build quality is usually amazing except the incredible. i had one for a few months the damn battery door creaked like crazy but the inspire had excellent build quality.

i would skip the captivate no matter what as it is a bit dated at this point. your best bet is inspire/infuse/galaxy s 2. Unless AT&T sees a pyramid variant in the coming months we shall see.
    05-10-2011 06:09 AM
    Keep in mind, this is the Inspire section of the forum. Everyone here most likely owns one..
    Check also on the Captivate forum to compare notes.
    05-10-2011 06:47 AM
    I like what I am hearing. So about how many hours can get you battery life?
    05-10-2011 02:10 PM
    So about how many hours can get you battery life?
    It varies greatly with use, and you will hate it at first (because you'll be playing w/ your new toy nonstop!). I've seen posts that claim to get 14-16 hours with light to moderate use, and I think that's a bit of a stretch. Depending on the length of your day, if you have somewhere you can get a quick charge (car charger or in the office) you could live with it. We're supposed to get updated to Gingerbread "this summer" and that, I've read, manages the battery better.
    05-10-2011 05:41 PM
    It varies greatly with use, and you will hate it at first (because you'll be playing w/ your new toy nonstop!). I've seen posts that claim to get 14-16 hours with light to moderate use, and I think that's a bit of a stretch. Depending on the length of your day, if you have somewhere you can get a quick charge (car charger or in the office) you could live with it. We're supposed to get updated to Gingerbread "this summer" and that, I've read, manages the battery better.
    14-16 hours? I charge my Inspire once every other day usually. I always have wifi on and live in a HSPA+ service area. I play a few game for about 30mins each day and send about 30-50 texts and and 2-to-4 15 minute phone calls. Some web browsing and email too. I would go back to a quick messagiing phone if i had to charge that often ( I had a samsung Impression which I charged every 6-7days).
    05-10-2011 06:05 PM
    14-16 hours? I charge my Inspire once every other day usually. I always have wifi on and live in a HSPA+ service area. I play a few game for about 30mins each day and send about 30-50 texts and and 2-to-4 15 minute phone calls. Some web browsing and email too. I would go back to a quick messagiing phone if i had to charge that often ( I had a samsung Impression which I charged every 6-7days).
    I also had a Samsung Impression! They had excellent battery life. I'd do videos, email, call, text, and internet almost every day and only had to charge it once every 3 days. Its a big change coming to the inspire.
    05-10-2011 07:17 PM
    Wow this battery life sounds so much better than my captivate.
    05-10-2011 10:10 PM
    its worth mentioning battery life on custom roms is hugely improved, i often go 36 - 48 hrs with mine.
    05-11-2011 12:21 AM
    Just get the inspire, you have 30 days to switch to captivate if you want.
    05-11-2011 03:03 AM
    I charge my Inspire once every other day usually. I always have wifi on and live in a HSPA+ service area. I play a few game for about 30mins each day and send about 30-50 texts and and 2-to-4 15 minute phone calls. Some web browsing and email too.
    And you're not rooted? Then there must be something wrong with everyone else's phones because I've read hundreds of posts about battery life and no one that's not rooted is getting 2 days out of a charge. Unless they're not using it at all. Any special battery saving apps you're using?
    05-11-2011 07:51 AM
    And you're not rooted? Then there must be something wrong with everyone else's phones because I've read hundreds of posts about battery life and no one that's not rooted is getting 2 days out of a charge. Unless they're not using it at all. Any special battery saving apps you're using?
    Not really, this seems reasonable. 30 mins angry birds, maybe down to 90%; texts dont whack much juice, maybe down to 83%; a 45 minute phone call will probably use a little more considering the screens off while your talking, maybe down to 68%; well say 50 web pages, and 10 emails, down to 58%, add in the constant wifi, and the cell standby at night, and a few little other quirks, you can probably get about 2 days out of it.
    05-11-2011 07:36 PM
    Not really, this seems reasonable. 30 mins angry birds, maybe down to 90%; texts dont whack much juice, maybe down to 83%; a 45 minute phone call will probably use a little more considering the screens off while your talking, maybe down to 68%; well say 50 web pages, and 10 emails, down to 58%, add in the constant wifi, and the cell standby at night, and a few little other quirks, you can probably get about 2 days out of it.
    Well congrats to you. I just played Angry Birds for 15 minutes and used more than 10% of the battery. Also if I keep it with me at night instead of plugging it in it will drain 20% or more in 3-4 hours without me touching it. And that's with Juice Defender Ultimate running.
    05-12-2011 07:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD