Gingerbread update!

ShippsAhoy

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
All this talk about when Gingerbread may be coming, but nobody has said what's better about Gingerbread? Is there a discussion out there that highlights the differences between Froyo and GB?

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm actually not looking forward to the Gingerbread update because that will mean wading through a dozen threads with 100+ posts each from people complaining that they didn't get the update within 30 seconds of it being released:p

Reactions: deeteroderdas

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm actually not looking forward to the Gingerbread update because that will mean wading through a dozen threads with 100+ posts each from people complaining that they didn't get the update within 30 seconds of it being released:p

A simple solution would be to not visit the forum. wink wink. I didn't realize it's everyones job to keep you happy. And yes, if AT&T can' t manage to get it's head out of it' s arse, it' s gonna happen here. Of course, a Gingebread upgrade on an AT&T device is something we don' t have to worry about until Icecream Sandwich comes out.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
A simple solution would be to not visit the forum. wink wink. I didn't realize it's everyones job to keep you happy. And yes, if AT&T can' t manage to get it's head out of it' s arse, it' s gonna happen here. Of course, Gingebread on an AT&T device is something we don' t have to worry about until Icecream Sandwich comes out.

I'm sorry to see that thought I was serious.

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
It would be nice if any of my Inspires last that long, all ready had to get 2 new ones from warranty, way its looking might have to replace three more. Got the GB update on my Droid X today and loving it.

anon(4144202)

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
So a few months ago this gingerbread was rumored to come out this month guess it already started out false. There's been absolutely no news of the inspire getting gingerbread since the rumor started a few months ago :-(

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
So a few months ago this gingerbread was rumored to come out this month guess it already started out false. There's been absolutely no news of the inspire getting gingerbread since the rumor started a few months ago :-(

I thought I saw something where HTC is still saying by the end of this month. Not sure if they mean that's when they anticipate releasing it to AT&T or if that is when it will be released by AT&T. Most likely the prior. Considering the EVO just got it last week, at least there is still some hope for the future, hopefully soon.

homescrub

Mar 1, 2011
twitter.com
All this talk about when Gingerbread may be coming, but nobody has said what's better about Gingerbread? Is there a discussion out there that highlights the differences between Froyo and GB?

Android 2.2 (Froyo) and Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) are two versions of the Smartphone operating system developed by Google. Android 2.3 is the latest edition. In comparison between Android 2.2 and Android 2.3, Android 2.3 is a major release and there are number of differences between Android 2.2 and Android 2.3. Android platform was initially developed by Android Inc. Google, the internet giant acquired Android in year 2005. Basically Android did not start from scratch; it was developed from the versions of Linux kernel.

Android 2.2 though mostly a stable system, had two revisions. Android 2.2 (Froyo) Rev 1.0 was released in May 2010 and Rev. 2.0 was released in July 2010. Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) was released on 6th Dec 2010. There are a lot of improvements and new features included in Gingerbread. Of course Android 2.3 is a major release. However Android 2.2 was a minor release, speed improvement was brought in with the integration of Chrome V8 JavaScript engine and JIT optimization, Wi-Fi hotspot feature was added and a new clean UI with tip widget and app market widget was introduced and some of the other app widgets were given a facelift.

A considerable number of new features were introduced in Android 2.3 (Gingerbread), that include new UI themes, redesigned keyboards, new copy and paste functionality, improved power management, better application management, new download manager, NFC (Near Field Communication), support for VoIP/SIP calls, new Camera application for accessing multiple cameras and supports extra large screens.

Update: The latest version of Android platform is 2.3.3 (see Table_ 03 for additional features).

Kernel:

Android 2.2 ? Linux Kernel 2.6.32

Android 2.3 ? Linux Kernel 2.6.35

Networking:

Android 2.2 supports Bluetooth as well as Wi-Fi. On top of these, Android 2.2 supports Wi-Fi hotspot functionality that can connect 6 devices. In the sense, you can use Android 2.2 phone as a wireless broadband router.

Android 2.3(Gingerbread), in addition to all existing features, supports for NFC (Near Field Communication) which is a high speed data communication mechanism operates in high frequency within a short range (10 cm).

Communication:

In addition to standard voice calling, Android 2.3 supports for SIP audio and video calling. If you have a good 3G or Wi-Fi connection and a SIP account you can make internet calling. It breaks the boundary of regionalist concept and flies in the global domain.

Power Management:

Power Management is one the critical tasks in these kind of Mobile operating systems. Even if you have all these fancy features, if the battery life of the device is couple of hours, then there is no use in the added features. Android 2.3 handles it in a better way than Android 2.2. Here in 2.3 the OS manages the applications and daemon application which are running at the background and closes the unnecessary applications.

Android 2.2 (Froyo) supports the following features:

Integration of Chrome?s V8 JavaScript engine into the Browser application
Advanced Microsoft Exchange support
Wi-Fi hotspot functionality
USB Tethering
Voice dialling and contact sharing over Bluetooth
Support for file upload fields in the Browser application
Animated GIFs supported in browser.
Adobe Flash 10.1 supported
Support for extra high DPI screens

Android 2.2 had two revisions. Android 2.2.1 was the first revision released in May 2010. Android 2.2.1 included some improvements and bug fixes. Improvements were mainly on Gmail application and Exchange Active Sync. It also received an update to Twitter and refreshed weather widget. Android 2.2.2 was released in June 2010. It was released mainly to address the email bug that randomly forward the text messages in the inbox. The email bug randomly select a recipient from the contact list and forward a random message in the inbox on its own. This bug was fixed with the Android 2.2.2 update.

Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) supports the following features in addition to existing 2.2 features:

New user interface design with new themes (Black themes save power)
Extra Large Screen Size supported
SIP Communication Supported (SIP Video and Audio Calling, In an operator point of view, this is feature will decrease their voice calling revenue where as user can call each other for lower rates or even free if they have good data connection)
Supports for NFC (High Frequency High Speech Data Transfer in short range)
Support for WebM/VP8 video playback, and AAC audio encoding
New audio effects such as reverb, equalization, headphone virtualization, and bass boost
Improved Copy and Paste functionality
Redesigned Multi Touch Software Keyboard
Audio, graphical, and input enhancements for game developers
New sensors support (i.e gyroscope)
Download manager for long running HTTP downloads
Enhanced support for native code
Improved power management and application control
Support for multiple cameras

Read more: Difference Between Android 2.2 (Froyo) and Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) | Difference Between | Android 2.2 (Froyo) vs Android 2.3 (Gingerbread)

Difference Between Android 2.2 (Froyo) and Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) | Difference Between | Android 2.2 (Froyo) vs Android 2.3 (Gingerbread)

Reactions: hummingbirdhill

Kalebb2010

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Android 2.2 (Froyo) and Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) are two versions of the Smartphone operating system developed by Google. Android 2.3 is the latest edition. In comparison between Android 2.2 and Android 2.3, Android 2.3 is a major release and there are number of differences between Android 2.2 and Android 2.3. Android platform was initially developed by Android Inc. Google, the internet giant acquired Android in year 2005. Basically Android did not start from scratch; it was developed from the versions of Linux kernel.

Android 2.2 though mostly a stable system, had two revisions. Android 2.2 (Froyo) Rev 1.0 was released in May 2010 and Rev. 2.0 was released in July 2010. Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) was released on 6th Dec 2010. There are a lot of improvements and new features included in Gingerbread. Of course Android 2.3 is a major release. However Android 2.2 was a minor release, speed improvement was brought in with the integration of Chrome V8 JavaScript engine and JIT optimization, Wi-Fi hotspot feature was added and a new clean UI with tip widget and app market widget was introduced and some of the other app widgets were given a facelift.

A considerable number of new features were introduced in Android 2.3 (Gingerbread), that include new UI themes, redesigned keyboards, new copy and paste functionality, improved power management, better application management, new download manager, NFC (Near Field Communication), support for VoIP/SIP calls, new Camera application for accessing multiple cameras and supports extra large screens.

Update: The latest version of Android platform is 2.3.3 (see Table_ 03 for additional features).

Kernel:

Android 2.2 ? Linux Kernel 2.6.32

Android 2.3 ? Linux Kernel 2.6.35

Networking:

Android 2.2 supports Bluetooth as well as Wi-Fi. On top of these, Android 2.2 supports Wi-Fi hotspot functionality that can connect 6 devices. In the sense, you can use Android 2.2 phone as a wireless broadband router.

Android 2.3(Gingerbread), in addition to all existing features, supports for NFC (Near Field Communication) which is a high speed data communication mechanism operates in high frequency within a short range (10 cm).

Communication:

In addition to standard voice calling, Android 2.3 supports for SIP audio and video calling. If you have a good 3G or Wi-Fi connection and a SIP account you can make internet calling. It breaks the boundary of regionalist concept and flies in the global domain.

Power Management:

Power Management is one the critical tasks in these kind of Mobile operating systems. Even if you have all these fancy features, if the battery life of the device is couple of hours, then there is no use in the added features. Android 2.3 handles it in a better way than Android 2.2. Here in 2.3 the OS manages the applications and daemon application which are running at the background and closes the unnecessary applications.

Android 2.2 (Froyo) supports the following features:

Integration of Chrome?s V8 JavaScript engine into the Browser application
Advanced Microsoft Exchange support
Wi-Fi hotspot functionality
USB Tethering
Voice dialling and contact sharing over Bluetooth
Support for file upload fields in the Browser application
Animated GIFs supported in browser.
Adobe Flash 10.1 supported
Support for extra high DPI screens

Android 2.2 had two revisions. Android 2.2.1 was the first revision released in May 2010. Android 2.2.1 included some improvements and bug fixes. Improvements were mainly on Gmail application and Exchange Active Sync. It also received an update to Twitter and refreshed weather widget. Android 2.2.2 was released in June 2010. It was released mainly to address the email bug that randomly forward the text messages in the inbox. The email bug randomly select a recipient from the contact list and forward a random message in the inbox on its own. This bug was fixed with the Android 2.2.2 update.

Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) supports the following features in addition to existing 2.2 features:

New user interface design with new themes (Black themes save power)
Extra Large Screen Size supported
SIP Communication Supported (SIP Video and Audio Calling, In an operator point of view, this is feature will decrease their voice calling revenue where as user can call each other for lower rates or even free if they have good data connection)
Supports for NFC (High Frequency High Speech Data Transfer in short range)
Support for WebM/VP8 video playback, and AAC audio encoding
New audio effects such as reverb, equalization, headphone virtualization, and bass boost
Improved Copy and Paste functionality
Redesigned Multi Touch Software Keyboard
Audio, graphical, and input enhancements for game developers
New sensors support (i.e gyroscope)
Download manager for long running HTTP downloads
Enhanced support for native code
Improved power management and application control
Support for multiple cameras

Read more: Difference Between Android 2.2 (Froyo) and Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) | Difference Between | Android 2.2 (Froyo) vs Android 2.3 (Gingerbread)

Difference Between Android 2.2 (Froyo) and Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) | Difference Between | Android 2.2 (Froyo) vs Android 2.3 (Gingerbread)

HTC Sense already offers better power management and application control, as well as improved copy and paste. The Inspire also has the audio enhancements with headphones plugged in.

homescrub

Mar 1, 2011
twitter.com
HTC Sense already offers better power management and application control, as well as improved copy and paste. The Inspire also has the audio enhancements with headphones plugged in.

Not really. My phone on Stock Sense still lasts about 4-5 hours with moderate use, and is dead the next morning after a 100% charge.

The screen can not control its power hungry self!

but, when I root it, the power management is ofter better, well, once it has a ROM installed.

Kalebb2010

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Yeah and the battery is considerably smaller than many high end smartphones. Don't understand the thought process that went into that.. or lack of thought.

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Not really. My phone on Stock Sense still lasts about 4-5 hours with moderate use, and is dead the next morning after a 100% charge.

The screen can not control its power hungry self!

but, when I root it, the power management is ofter better, well, once it has a ROM installed.

That has horrible. My phone is stock and I once used it for about five hours straight non stop before it dropped below 30%. Nothing intense, just web browsing and a simple game. With moderate usage, I usually get like 8-10 hours and with light usage 12-14 hours.

anon(4144202)

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
That has horrible. My phone is stock and I once used it for about five hours straight non stop before it dropped below 30%. Nothing intense, just web browsing and a simple game. With moderate usage, I usually get like 8-10 hours and with light usage 12-14 hours.

+1 on that. Ill get a whole day without needing a charger. That's a little facbooking twitter and a handful of at the most 5 minute phone calls.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox