Htc Inspire sideload update!!!!

BigDaddio#AC

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Well, after a long hiatus from 'smartphones' (being an old skool WinMo guy), I finally broke down and joined the Droid ranks, and bought an Inspire. I was sad, but not surprised that AT-T hid that option. I was surprised they announced they were removing that block. Guess the masses can make a difference. It took only 12 calls, spanning 3 days to get AT-T's PMC dept, and get them to push the update. perseverance does pay off, and I finally got the 'Unknown Sources' option to show on my 'Droid'.

Guess I better give them creds for making changes, even though they are screaming and kicking all the way....

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Agreed on all accounts. Thank you. HSUPA and OS upgrades aside (this particular thread of discontentment is about sideloading), everyone who wanted it knew within 30 days that they couldn't sideload "out of the box". That's all I was referring to.;)

This thread is about sideloading, but the gripes are not really about not having it per say. The gripes are about the way it is being deployed now that AT&T is enabling it. I do agree with the griping. There is no communication from AT&T and it has been sloppy. My wife got the update on her phone days ago, yet I still haven't got it on my phone, despite us living in the same house and working down the street from each other. I think there would be less griping if AT&T would at least indicate how it is deploying this update. At this point, customers don't know if they are going to get it today, tomorrow, next week, or even a month from now. Then when you call CS to inquire, most reps don't even know what it is. This is all pathetic on AT&T's part.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Ricenchicken

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I just downloaded an update, restarted my phone after installing but still no "unknown sources" in my application settings.

:[.

And plants vs zombies is the free app of the day on amazon, darn it.

BaldwiJ7

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I just got off the phone with at&t, the guy knew what I was talking about, talked to his manager, he said the system they use for those updates is being updated, so I would need to call back in 24-48 hours.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk

Splat

May 31, 2011
Visit site
I just got off the chat support from AT&T's site the person i was talking to was clueless and told me to call HTC, so i explained this is an update from AT&T she came back and said they were pushing it to my phone it's been 20 minutes still nothing but fingers are crossed.

Update:
I just received it the support person I spoke to said there would be a message but there wasn't it was just there so try the chat and don't let them try to push you off to HTC. Good Luck

wacat

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
So many of you have been lucky with your reps, I just seemed to have bad luck when I would call or online chat. Maybe in a week or two if it hasn't been pushed I will try again and the reps will be better informed.

I just got off the chat support from AT&T's site the person i was talking to was clueless and told me to call HTC, so i explained this is an update from AT&T she came back and said they were pushing it to my phone it's been 20 minutes still nothing but fingers are crossed.

Update:
I just received it the support person I spoke to said there would be a message but there wasn't it was just there so try the chat and don't let them try to push you off to HTC. Good Luck

Splat

May 31, 2011
Visit site
This rep didn't know what I was talking about either but I think when i said xdm tool she then decided to ask someone that would know. She said she didn't have authorization to send it so she had to get someone else to push it.

Ricenchicken

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I've been looking everywhere for Chat support on the att website to ask them about it, but cant find it >.> i've seen it advertised a feel times before but can never get to it again.

Any suggestions or links that direct me too mobile support directly?

Ricenchicken

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Thank you! im currently in line.

Thinking about what to say though, is this good:

Hi, your company has been releasing an OTA update for sideloading apps, I was wondering if you could access your XDM Tool and push it to the phones on my account?

Splat

May 31, 2011
Visit site
yeah sounds good, i didn't mention the xdm tool till i was told to call HTC when i said that the rep said hold on and came back and i got it about 30 minutes later. Also I was told I would receive a message first and once I got that I could install the update, but there is no message it is just there.

Splat

May 31, 2011
Visit site
Yeah just leave your phone on and check it when they tell you it has been pushed, it might not be there right away but you should get it not long after.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Thank you! im currently in line.

Thinking about what to say though, is this good:

Hi, your company has been releasing an OTA update for sideloading apps, I was wondering if you could access your XDM Tool and push it to the phones on my account?

Say "3rd party apps" and make sure its at least tier 2 tech support and DO NOT let them tell u its on htcs website. If they do, say youre looking at it and thats not the correct update bevause you already got the 2.2 update.

I think theyre gettin too many calls and brushing us off :/

Reactions: Ricenchicken

Splat

May 31, 2011
Visit site
Yeah that's what the rep tried with me and I informed her the update comes from AT&T and you're welcome for the information. I didn't have to ask for tier 2 support the rep just started talking to someone else I think and the pushed it for her.

DreDre

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I just used the "technical chat" on the at&t site and spoke with Angela, she knew what I was talking about and added me to a list that could take up to 72 hrs to receive the sideloading update. Hopefully I actually get this damn thing.

DreDre

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I just used the "technical chat" on the at&t site and spoke with Angela, she knew what I was talking about and added me to a list that could take up to 72 hrs to receive the sideloading update. Hopefully I actually get this damn thing.

***UPDATE*** So out of nowhere I got a message box that read: Complete Setup? I pressed yes and now I have the unknown sources checkbox in settings/applications finally!! For those who haven't received theirs yet, keep trying that tech dept eventually you'll get someone at AT&T that knows the deal!