Convering/Trasnfering Movie File To Phone?

LuckyLefty#AC

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, new to both the forum and Android, in general so I hope I'm wording this correctly...

Now I have an movie here that I'd like to add to my phone...it's an .avi file, but I'm just wondering how would I convert and send it to my phone?

When I convert movies for my iPod, it turns them into an .mp4 and I can easily drag it over. I wouldn't be able to do the same in this case, right?

Again, not sure if I worded everything correctly but hope somebody can help.

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Considering you may lose some quality during the conversion process, it would be easier to just move the file to your sd card thru usb and download a player from the market that plays avi files.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

repligator

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Yes, how great of apple to add an extra step to all things audio and video. Now you are encumbered by the absence of their of genius. your stock video player should suffice, but depending on the tool used to encode the avi, you may notice some audio and video sync issues. This would be the case even if you chose to convert to mp4.

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
The stock player doesn't support avi. I use Moboplayer. It is free, in the market, and plays avi files really well.

Ryan Roland

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
If you're like me and are gonna be converting dvd's into mobile movies frequently then dvd catalyst 4 is an awesome program and well worth the 10 bucks and it's a one step process to rip your dvd into a format specific for your device. I use my XOOM mostly but some movies I put on my Inspire

repligator

May 2, 2011
Visit site
The stock player doesn't support avi. I use Moboplayer. It is free, in the market, and plays avi files really well.

Nonsense. If this wasn't an att inspire forum then I would just assume your player was different, but the stock player on this phone DOES support avi playback. I'm sure you could find a better player in the market, but I'm sure you don't have to pay for one. there are rendering issues with the stock player as mentioned above, but at least give it a try before you load another clown in your car.

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Nonsense. If this wasn't an att inspire forum then I would just assume your player was different, but the stock player on this phone DOES support avi playback. I'm sure you could find a better player in the market, but I'm sure you don't have to pay for one. there are rendering issues with the stock player as mentioned above, but at least give it a try before you load another clown in your car.

Well then I guess I should have said it doesn't officially support avi playback. According to the manufacturer this is what is supported- 3GP, QCIF, H.264, AMR-WB, AMR-NB, AAC, WMV, H.263, MP4. If you refuse to believe me, look it up yourself. Also, you are correct, just because it is not supported doesn't mean it won't play it. But duh, maybe this is why there are rendering issues. But ahh, I did try and it wouldn't play the avi files I want. MoboPlayer, which I did mention is free, is working flawless. With that said, get out my car clown. Lol.

Edit- I should also note that avi is a container format. Depending on how the video was actually encoded, it may play fine or it may not. So far, MoboPlayer has played every avi I have thrown at it. There are other players in the market that will do so also, so you won't have those rendering issues.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol