AT&T LG G2: excessive battery drain

justlaxin13

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
So, I've been having decidedly un-awesome battery life on my G2. Anecdotally, 10-12 total hours with 2 hours of screen on time. Based on the reviews I'm seeing this is not good. Recently i've been hearing rumbling that it's a glitch of sorts on the att G2 out of the box and that a factory reset will fix it. Has anyone else heard/messed with this? I just tried the reset last night, and so far today, not noticing a difference. Wondering if I should go to att...

2013-09-25-16-23-44.jpg2013-09-25-16-23-27.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: at&t only battery drain?

So, I've been having decidedly un-awesome battery life on my G2. Anecdotally, 10-12 total hours with 2 hours of screen on time. Based on the reviews I'm seeing this is not good. Recently i've been hearing rumbling that it's a glitch of sorts on the att G2 out of the box and that a factory reset will fix it. Has anyone else heard/messed with this? I just tried the reset last night, and so far today, not noticing a difference. Wondering if I should go to att...
Can you post a picture of the battery stats screen? Frankly, battery life will vary and it all comes down to how much the device is used, what apps are syncing, is the screen brightness set to max, etc.

You can take a look at this thread, which is very helpful and will hopefully get you the battery life you expect to see out of your LG G2: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...how-tos/298919-guide-battery-saving-tips.html

If still you don't have better results after a few days/week, then consider a visit to AT&T.

justlaxin13

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site

Can you post a picture of the battery stats screen? Frankly, battery life will vary and it all comes down to how much the device is used, what apps are syncing, is the screen brightness set to max, etc.

You can take a look at this thread, which is very helpful and will hopefully get you the battery life you expect to see out of your LG G2: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...how-tos/298919-guide-battery-saving-tips.html

If still you don't have better results after a few days/week, then consider a visit to AT&T.

I know all the caveats about how it's used. But, when you have every reviewer from Jerry on down the line essentially saying "run it hard and still get a full day" in addition to all the screen shots and raves about great battery life across other forums/users, yet I'm getting equal-worse battery life than my S3 and S4 with the exact same setup and usage...seems amiss.

Also, as per the rumblings of an att "glitch" or something, much of that has to do with what the phone is burning through when not being used much. I've been saying 4-5% drain per hour when the phone is in my pocket doing nothing (outside syncing gmail and SMS).

Jay784

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site

Out of the box, my phone with light to moderate usage @ 50% brightness would eat up about 1% per hour
I saw battery saving tips guide and followed it. My phone became a battery hog and it was losing 6% per hour with zero use.
I had to figure out wtf was going on. In my case, the culprit was turning data and wifi off when I didn't use the phone. I know, it doesn't make any sense. Now my ATT G2 is back to a battery sipping machine that it once was.

marky_yo

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site

Overall the battery is way better than any other android I have had, S4, Note, note 2, along with HTC One, One X, One X+ and the ONE. However, I noticed my battery drains very very fast if I am in a building or my university with not the best wifi, so its constantly checking in and out for it! I turn it off during those times and sometimes the bluetooth as well. This has helped a lot, I also now have my screen setting at automatic, and it helps too! The battery saver for me is set up at 50% but not sure how good that will be, yet to get that low now.

justlaxin13

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site

For those answering back who are having great battery life, what's your usage like? I don't need screenshots necessarily, im just trying to build a case/figure out how abnormal my results are.

I keep my brightness on auto always, turn off wifi when out of network, never use bluetooth and rarely stray over 2 hour of screen on time, have FB, gmail, yahoo weather and not much else auto-updating in the background and I'm LUCKY to make 12 hours with that... sounds fishy right?

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

You definitely should be getting much better battery life than what you described. I have found that there is something that can trigger runaway services and cause excessive idle battery drain. It's happened to me twice, but hasn't happened in almost a week. I was obviously tweaking something that triggered it, but I have not yet identified the source. A reboot cleared the problem up each time.

I also do not have to turn off data or wifi in order to get incredible battery life. Here is my setup and things I did to reduce idle drain ...

- Screen is set to Auto with a 70% baseline
- GPS off unless I need it for maps
- Wifi on when a network is available (home and work mainly)
- Wifi & mobile network location is on
- Weather widget on home screen but deleted location based City and only run a manual city location. Updates every 3 hours.
- One email exchange account set to MANUAL. Nothing is pushing or syncing for this account (which is all I personally need).
- Google sync always on and I let Apps access my location
- I do not allow any websites access to my location in my browser. Further, I cleared location access in my browser settings and unchecked Enable location.
- In Maps I turned off Location Reporting and Location History
- I do not use Google Now. I haven't even activated it. This is a personal thing of course. I don't find it to be particularly valuable to me. Your mileage may vary.
- I'm careful with Apps I install that regularly run in the background, use location services and are known to be battery hogs. For example, I use the Facebook mobile website rather than the App.

Now, I'm sure some of these things (such as Google Now) can be used and still get excellent battery life. It's a matter of finding your sweet spot. Just yesterday, I put my phone on the charger at 25% and it had been off the charger for 36 hours with 4 hours of screen on time. I've previously gotten over 7 hours of screen on time with 24 hours off the charger.

If you can't get your idle drain under control, yes I'd suggest a factory reset. If that doesn't solve your problem you may have a faulty battery and should request a replacement within your 14 day window.

Good luck!

Michfan4837

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

I don't mess around with lowering brightness and turning things off I don't use. Battery life should just be good. The AT&T version of this phone clearly has some software issues. My battery can go from 90 to 70 in 3 or 4 hours with zero use. I had an HTC One and have a new nexus 7. It is not a Qualcomm processor issue.

Posted via Android Central App

justlaxin13

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site

Thanks for the input all, sounds like I'm not the only one having this problem. I went to att and I just received anther one in the mail. I'll try this second one out over the next few days with the same setup and general usage as my current G2, see how that goes and let ya'll know. Fingers crossed because if I suffer the same problem with a 2nd handset, not really sure what my next move will be.

26Two

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site

I've only had mine for a few days. The first 24 hours my battery only went down to about 50% and I was thrilled. The next day, after making some settings changes and adding some apps, it drained down to 12% in about 12 hours. I just went back and tried changing back some of those settings. I'm hoping it works.

Ditey1

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

I have the AT&T LG G2 version & out of the box, am having fantastic battery life. Just last night around midnight, took phone off charger & this morning around 11:00 or so, did some texting & sent 3 emails with pictures attached, had wifi & data enabled & phone was still at 100% when done. I disable wifi & data when not being actively used that way I don't incur data charges not wanted. Then again, I have nothing syncing automatically. I do that on a need basis manually. As a matter of fact, this latest go around, the phone lasted me over 5 days before charging it last night & I still had 43% left & that included a few hours of long distance calls, light texting, picture taking & moving pics around in the gallery, changing some settings & generally playing with the phone & doing twitter. I don't do facebook on the phone. I've also noticed that it charges quickly using the included charger.

I am very pleased with the battery life. Maybe I am just lucky with the unit that I got.

huchacool3

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site

I've had the same issue for the first 3 days of owning my G2. I'm losing about 4% an hour while the phone is idle, and max about 14 hours of useage with 2 hours screen on. I've been turning off every service I can think of till I notice a difference. If nothing works I might try a factory reset.

justlaxin13

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site

So I got ATT to send me a new device in the hopes that I had a defective one. I received said device the other day and after 3 days of typical use it's arguably WORSE on battery life than my original device that prompted me to start this thread. I have posted some battery life screen shots.

I'm not really sure what to do now. Some of you in this thread are experiencing the same thing, others appear to be getting the same awesome battery life that all the reviewers and many others are overjoyed about. Sooo, what's my next move? Rooting and flashing a custom ROM? Trying to root and get rid of carrier ID? If that is the problem, why isn't everyone with an att device getting hit? Ugh.

battery1.jpgbattery2.jpg

Mingyi Li

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

I also have this issue. seems only att customers face this problem? so its sth to do with att preinstalled apps or att network? or the G2 att version has hardware or software issue randomly? I love the screen n the battery life when it works normally. But I have changed to 5s since I have no idea how to fix it.

Erik Jackson

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site

After about 3 weeks I am experiencing the identical problem, could it be something as simple as an updated Google app? or perhaps something more sinister such as a major defect in hardware design? I would bet on the later as I uninstalled or disabled all the ATT apps with no improvement.

justlaxin13

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site

After about 3 weeks I am experiencing the identical problem, could it be something as simple as an updated Google app? or perhaps something more sinister such as a major defect in hardware design? I would bet on the later as I uninstalled or disabled all the ATT apps with no improvement.

I doubt it's a hardware defect as I have had the same problem in 2 different units and many people are not experiencing this problem at all. It would seem like a build defect would have effected more than what appears to be the minority of us owners.

Just_Some_Nobody

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site

I have the AT&T version of the G2. At first I wasn't too happy with the battery life. I realize it takes a few days for the battery to 'break in', so in the mean time I installed Better Battery Stats from the xda forums. I was able to track down a wake lock (Carrier IQ, of course) that was not letting my phone go into deep sleep (you can see that information in BBS). I Google'd around and found out how to locate and force quit that process and I've been enjoying decent batter life since. I have the phone checking exchange email every 15 min and I get gmail pushed. My battery usage when idle is between 0.7% and 1% per hour now. Down from around 4.5% per hour.

I suggest installing BBS, let it run for a while and see what you find.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital