Battery Life (duplicate I'm sure)

bad43085

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone. I'm new to this and new to Android. I just got my G2 (LG-D800 from AT&T) on Sunday and, while it has only been about 3 days of use I'm feeling fairly disappointed in the battery life so far. I'm not that familiar with Android and how to use it quite yet, and maybe I had unrealistic expectations for this battery from reviews. But I don't think I'm getting even the same life out of my G2 that I did with my previous phone (iPhone 4). On my iPhone with what I would say to be minimal to moderate use during a work day (some texting, some browsing, updating some apps like twitter, instagram, etc) I would get home with around 50% life left. Through my first two days of use on my G2 with considerably less use (no browsing, no gaming, less texting, less updating the same apps, and without my most used app on iPhone that is not available on Android), I've been lucky to come home with 50% left. While doing some research on this, I've been closing all tasks before closing the phone, turing off the LED notification to all but texts and missed calls, turned off auto-sync, and still feel disappointed. On my iPhone, I never had to make a conscious decision to turn OFF notifications or GPS in an effort to save battery. So I'd had to buy into a battery caveat that I need to turn my smartphone into a dumbphone to get anticipated battery life. From the Battery Manager, it appears I lose about 6-9% an hour without really doing anything. Are others having these problems? I've heard factory reset has solved the problem at time, but again, someone will have to give me direction here as I'm not yet too familiar with Android. If there are any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them. I apologize for the long winded comment, but with my first Android experience on a device that promised an un-killable battery, I'm a bit frustrated in the early going.

Thanks!

tsells

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
You can try this:
Settings->general->apps->running
Look for Android System. Click it and you should see Carrier IQ and then you can stop it.

This has helped a lot of us get great battery life
Note: Whenever you restart your phone, you will then have to redo the above.

No need to turn off all that are you doing, as those are features that you want in this phone. Just turn off wifi or bluetooth if not using them and reduce screen brightness to as low as acceptable.

bad43085

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Thanks.

When I go in there and click on Android System, there isn't anything there. I have the option to stop Android System is appear, and am told it can't be stopped safely. Am I missing something?

tsells

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks.

When I go in there and click on Android System, there isn't anything there. I have the option to stop Android System is appear, and am told it can't be stopped safely. Am I missing something?

That's strange. Try rebooting your phone. I just rebooted and went to Apps>Running Apps>Android System> and Carrier IQ was there when I opened Android System. And I then stopped Carrier IQ (and there was a warning, but don't worry about that).

bad43085

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. I rebooted and it showed up. I stopped it. Android System is still at 45%. Maybe it just needs a few days to settle in or something. I don't know.

bad43085

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
If it helps. Here are some screenshots. Perhaps I just need to adjust my expectations of the battery in this phone. But I've barely used it all day. Nothing more than 2 texts and trying to manage some of the tips I've seen on here.Screenshot 1.jpgScreenshot 2.jpg

tsells

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Aren't those numbers before you turned off Carrier IQ?
Hopefully they will improve now, as my Android System is usually around 20%.

PS And don't believe anyone when they say that the system or battery needs to "settle in". That simply is not true!

bad43085

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
That's after I quite the IQ, but the timing of that and these screenshots is irrelevant really since the numbers haven't really changed. The Android System was at 44%. If anything that is down from right around 50% post IQ.

Just_Some_Nobody

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
You can try this:
Settings->general->apps->running
Look for Android System. Click it and you should see Carrier IQ and then you can stop it.

This has helped a lot of us get great battery life
Note: Whenever you restart your phone, you will then have to redo the above.

No need to turn off all that are you doing, as those are features that you want in this phone. Just turn off wifi or bluetooth if not using them and reduce screen brightness to as low as acceptable.

You also need to wait a second and Android System will jump to the top of the list and then you can stop it as well. It's been my experience that if you don't do both of these steps, your battery will still suck.

Just_Some_Nobody

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
This is what you should be expecting from this phone:

Screenshot_2013-11-12-17-20-37.jpg
Screenshot_2013-11-12-17-20-47.jpg
Screenshot_2013-11-12-17-21-01.jpg

I have Exchange and K9 both polling emails. I have gmail syncing. I have Google Now ON. I have Location Reporting OFF.
I mostly text and browse the web.

sagyb

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I was in the same boat. Battery was draining very fast. Once I stopped the IQ service and "Android System" it improved dramatically.

I have everything on - location, sync, backup, you name it (i believe the phone should work for me, not the other way around). it's been 40 hours since my phone last saw a charger, and i'm currently at 36%.

bad43085

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I was in the same boat. Battery was draining very fast. Once I stopped the IQ service and "Android System" it improved dramatically.

I have everything on - location, sync, backup, you name it (i believe the phone should work for me, not the other way around). it's been 40 hours since my phone last saw a charger, and i'm currently at 36%.

Do you have to Stop "Android System" regularly? I just went in and it was running again (I stopped it early today). I did restart my phone though, so maybe it turns on with every restart. But yes, I would be quite annoyed to have a phone like this and not be able to have it "work for me". Battery Use Detail still shows my Android System taking up 42% but perhaps that is the entirety of the charge and once I refill the charge that will go down?

I'm sorry, but I'm new to Android as of Sunday (ditched Apple) so this is like learning a new language for me.

Thanks for the help!

Just_Some_Nobody

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Do you have to Stop "Android System" regularly? I just went in and it was running again (I stopped it early today). I did restart my phone though, so maybe it turns on with every restart. But yes, I would be quite annoyed to have a phone like this and not be able to have it "work for me". Battery Use Detail still shows my Android System taking up 42% but perhaps that is the entirety of the charge and once I refill the charge that will go down?

I'm sorry, but I'm new to Android as of Sunday (ditched Apple) so this is like learning a new language for me.

Thanks for the help!

You have to do this after each restart.

If you root, you can stop it permanently. I just choose not to root yet.

Just a note: That percentage is based on battery used so far. So if Android System is at 42% and the battery remaining is at 98%, then Android System has used 42% of 2% of the battery.

bad43085

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
You have to do this after each restart.

If you root, you can stop it permanently. I just choose not to root yet.

Just a note: That percentage is based on battery used so far. So if Android System is at 42% and the battery remaining is at 98%, then Android System has used 42% of 2% of the battery.

Great. Thanks for the help! I will keep an eye on it in the coming days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teapotsax