What are the first things to do after getting G2

kashk5

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
First thing I did was root and install TWRP (ridiculously easy btw, took me like 2 minutes). Then I started tinkering with various ROMs. I didn't even give the stock ROM a try, not worth manually removing bloatware and worrying about Carrier IQ when I could just install a debloated stock ROM.

heading4tomorrow

May 21, 2013
Visit site
First thing I did was root and install TWRP (ridiculously easy btw, took me like 2 minutes). Then I started tinkering with various ROMs. I didn't even give the stock ROM a try, not worth manually removing bloatware and worrying about Carrier IQ when I could just install a debloated stock ROM.

I can't get twrp because ATT forcefully updated my 10d to 10o

Sent from my LG-D800

kashk5

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
I can't get twrp because ATT forcefully updated my 10d to 10o

Sent from my LG-D800

That sucks. I was worried about the OTA being applied, hence why I rooted and installed a recovery as soon as I turned it on. I really, really hate out-of-the-box ROMs with their nasty bloatware and inability to customize to the extent that I want.

nabril1569

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
i've been trying to force the ATT update to my new phone but it keeps bugging out. I then planned to root.
Should I ignore the update and root right away? Once rooted, we can't/shouldn't OTA, correct?

heading4tomorrow

May 21, 2013
Visit site
i've been trying to force the ATT update to my new phone but it keeps bugging out. I then planned to root.
Should I ignore the update and root right away? Once rooted, we can't/shouldn't OTA, correct?

If you plan to root, root it before taking the OTA. There is no safe/easy way to root and install recovery once you are on 010o (that is, if you are still with 010d).
I was forced to update by AT&T with no option to cancel/stop update, now I am not able to root or flash recovery anymore.

pblakk

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
How do u disable the bloatware

Sent from my LG-D800 using AC Forums mobile app

If you can't disable the app you want under Settings then Apps then you would have to root and use a special app to disable that app's files.

Sent from my LG-D800 using AC Forums mobile app

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
If you plan to root, root it before taking the OTA. There is no safe/easy way to root and install recovery once you are on 010o (that is, if you are still with 010d).
I was forced to update by AT&T with no option to cancel/stop update, now I am not able to root or flash recovery anymore.

You can still root after OTA using ioroot 17.

Sent from my rooted LG-G2 using Tapatalk

heading4tomorrow

May 21, 2013
Visit site
You can still root after OTA using ioroot 17.

Thanks but without a TWRP to cover my **** I am not rooting it.
I want to root just to try xposed but without a safe backup system image I won't go that far.
Anyway to get twrp on 10o?

Someone said freegee but it seems yo flash older version with no way to upgrade.
Is older version OK to take system images and backing up IMEI and serial all that stuff?

I know latest version is needed for 4.4 roms.

Sent from my LG-D800

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi
Thanks but without a TWRP to cover my **** I am not rooting it.
I want to root just to try xposed but without a safe backup system image I won't go that far.
Anyway to get twrp on 10o?

Someone said freegee but it seems yo flash older version with no way to upgrade.
Is older version OK to take system images and backing up IMEI and serial all that stuff?

I know latest version is needed for 4.4 roms.

Sent from my LG-D800

I don't think we can currently get TWRP after OTA update. Should be able to get it eventually.

I rooted in order to permanently disable carrier IQ, remove bloat, and use root only apps. Haven't had any issues so far.

heading4tomorrow

May 21, 2013
Visit site
We bought two of them off EBay (Thanks, Mr. Anonymous!) and I had to drive two hours both ways to get them at 1am. Fun times.

It was a good thing we did it that way, though, because we don't live in a 3G area and they wouldn't have been sold at local stores.

But aren't you worried something may mess up the phone and you won't have a recovery to fall back to?
No matter how careful, having root access out in the open is very risky.
You try one wrong app, all gone.
Forget about trying custom roms, no way without a recovery.

Sent from my LG-D800

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
But aren't you worried something may mess up the phone and you won't have a recovery to fall back to?
No matter how careful, having root access out in the open is very risky.
You try one wrong app, all gone.
Forget about trying custom roms, no way without a recovery.

Sent from my LG-D800

I'm not really worried about it. I'll end up getting TWRP at some point. And I only install root apps that I've used on other phones.