AT&T LG G2: Huge update that put more bloatware on phones today

tyler durden3

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
So I got an notification that there was an update from ATT. I got extremely happen then I saw that android was updating I got even happier I was sure this was Kitkat. Once the phone finished updating I notice there is a huge featured app add on my home screen now. I am literally about to cancel my att service. The featured app bar scrolls adds across the phone. I paid for this phone this is completely unacceptable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Re: Huge ATT update that put more bloatware on phones today

The G2 is easily rooted. It may be fun and time for you to do a quick Google on rooting the G2 so you can delete the bloat. If you don't want to do that you should be able to disable it.

Sent from my liberated plutonium 5s 64

MrBungle999

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

I just got an update today too but I do not have any featured app bar or anything. In fact nothing has changed that I can see. I also was sure it was kitkat as it was updating but no dice.

Sent from my LG-D800 using AC Forums mobile app

MrBungle999

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

It didn't say. It just automatically started updating. It just showed it was 2 parts.

Sent from my LG-D800 using AC Forums mobile app

CurveDave

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site

If memory serves, I think it was only 15mb.
I'm not receiving any ads. See if this helps: Settings > Accounts & Sync > Google > Ads > Check "Opt out of interest-based ads"

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site

Is it the featured app widget? If so, you can just remove it from your home screen.

Sent from my Xposed LG-G2 using Tapatalk

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site

So I got an notification that there was an update from ATT. I got extremely happen then I saw that android was updating I got even happier I was sure this was Kitkat. Once the phone finished updating I notice there is a huge featured app add on my home screen now. I am literally about to cancel my att service. The featured app bar scrolls adds across the phone. I paid for this phone this is completely unacceptable.

A little extreme to cancel the provider for putting an easily disabled app on your phone, but not as bad as blowing up your apartment full of IKEA furniture i suppose Mr Durden lol

madhatter01

May 18, 2010
Visit site

How is 15mb huge? Are you sure it was not the update from a week or 2 ago? That was the size of that one.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site

I have noticed that AT&T has been loading a lot more bloatware onto their phones. I used to think that Verizon was the worst, but AT&T may be the new king of bloatware.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

I have noticed that AT&T has been loading a lot more bloatware onto their phones. I used to think that Verizon was the worst, but AT&T may be the new king of bloatware.

That's just another reason to root if you don't have iDevices.

{iRiidium} Technophile. 1 of 4 

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site

That's just another reason to root if you don't have iDevices.

Well, it doesn't bother me at all. If I had bloatware on my phone, I would just disable it or not use it. No biggie to me. I used to get bent out of shape about things like bloatware, carrier branding, and OTA updates. Not anymore. I think that those things made me unnecessarily cranky. I have lowered my stress levels significantly by not worrying about those things related to my smartphones.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

Disabling at least keeps the yuckiness from running.

Sonix

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site

Just learn the settings and forget about it! Done...no more unwanted stuff. It seems harmless if you don't know what you are doing. I ran across the same thing, and held/tap the then dragged to remove. The whole thing took me 3 seconds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze