LG G2: Disabling AT&T Address Book

teamnowak

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I've read some stuff online and I still can't get this crap to stop popping open when I use Contacts. My phone is rooted and I deleted the Address Book .apk and it STILL shows up. Disabling the app is also not available.

Any other ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Re: Disabling ATT Address Book

I use ROM Toolbox to manage apps. You can easily delete or freeze system apps.

Sent from my LG-G2 running CM 11

teamnowak

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

I use ROM Toolbox to manage apps. You can easily delete or freeze system apps.

Any idea how to disable or delete Google Voice Typing? I've searched this online and it seems to have been a MAJOR annoyance, but can't find an actual solution to get it from continually turning itself back on.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site

Any idea how to disable or delete Googlet Voice Typing? I've searched this online and it seems to have been a MAJOR annoyance, but can't find an actual solution to get it from continually turning itself back on.

In settings go to language and input method, then uncheck Google voice typing.

teamnowak

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

In settings go to language and input method, then uncheck Google voice typing.

It will stay off for a while, then just turn itself right back on (the box is re-checked and everything). Apparently this was/is a flaw. Cannot find a way to get it to stop and there doesn't seem to be a way to just disable the "voice" part of the keyboard.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site

It will stay off for a while, then just turn itself right back on (the box is re-checked and everything). Apparently this was/is a flaw. Cannot find a way to get it to stop and there doesn't seem to be a way to just disable the "voice" part of the keyboard.

That's weird. I turned it off and it hasn't enabled itself.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Dee Lee

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
Here how to disable the AT&T address Book: Go to dailer than dail *#*#2666#*#* and setting "registration" to "completed". Exit out than you are done.

teamnowak

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

Here was my mistake. In the list of keyboards and input devices, there is one called Google voice typing. That is the one I was unselecting but it was just turning itself back on. What I needed to do was go into the settings for the keyboard I am using and turn off the voice typing key. Problem solved.

Just_Some_Nobody

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Here how to disable the AT&T address Book: Go to dailer than dail *#*#2666#*#* and setting "registration" to "completed". Exit out than you are done.

Why does that fix it? What does this do?

People shouldn't just blindly key things in.

Posted via Android Central App using an LG G2.

namitutonka

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Why does that fix it? What does this do?

People shouldn't just blindly key things in.

Posted via Android Central App using an LG G2.

Apps, in my understanding (since I've only had my first smartphone for less than two weeks), will keep reinstalling because of the files in /system/app/ called PreloadInstaller.odex and PreloadInstaller.apk. I used the free app called ES File Explorer to move these two files to my external SD card on my newly bought year old Samsung S4. It wasn't entirely an intuitive process, but I finally got ES File Explorer to do it. xda developer forum is a super place to learn. Explore and lurk for answers though before you ask an already asked question. Hope this helps. Android definitely has its learning curve. :)

Keith Walburn

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
To disable AT&T Address Book, I cleared data and when it started up again, I declined the terms of service. Seems to have worked, even after rebooting. I click on Contacts and they open without the AT&T app rearing its ugly head.

Last edited:

Koreen Hines

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
Wow! No ****! This really worked and was super simple. Thank you so much. I was on the phone with an atnt rep trying all sorts of stuff to no avail and they recommended I call my phone for warranty to get a new phone. Yeah, didn't work. They suggested something silly like going to play store and getting a new address book. . .not what I asked for. I'm so thankful. Thank you!

Captive Audience

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Thank you Dee Lee. I have an LG G3 and this was driving me crazy. I spent 40 minutes with ATT, then Straight Talk and nobody could help me. Your solution worked!

"Here how to disable the AT&T address Book: Go to dailer than dail *#*#2666#*#* and setting "registration" to "completed". Exit out than you are done. "