Gmail "Notifications"

bardiferous

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
My LG G2 (ATT version - D800) with Lollipop has recently gone into overdrive when posting notifications in the Status Bar as well in the Notifications area when I have new messages.

While I have 2 Gmail accounts on my Gmail app, only one should be notifying me of incoming messages. At least, that's what I thought I'd set up. Often, there are two. Just now, when I had 5 test messages (6, but one does not seem to want to show up) sent to my main account and now there are three Notifications, as grabbed in the screenshot:

Screenshot_2015-05-11 .jpg

As I mentioned, I use the Gmail app and the default Mail app has its notifications turned off via Settings (Main)/Sounds (tab)/Apps (under the Notifications section). I know I've set some other Notifications settings for Gmail but I can't seem to locate those settings.

I only need Important Gmails to notify me. The others can wait and not interrupt me.

HELP! :confused:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Open Gmail, swipe in from the left, tap Settings, then the email account that you don't want notifications for. Uncheck Notifications in the subsequent menu.

bardiferous

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Let me add detail, as it wasn't obvious to me.

open Gmail
swipe in from left
scroll to bottom for Settings
choose account
toggle Notifications on/off

ALSO

further down, below Data usage
Manage labels - here, "labels" can be individually synced, add notifications

Is there a way to RESET ALL Gmail settings? I'm thinking I'll uninstall Gmail and then reinstall it.

I think there is another location where App notifications can be toggled. Yes...
Go first to Main Phone Settings
(in KitKat, as I recall, & Lollipop) choose the General tab
Under Phone Management, go to Apps
each App there is a Notifications toggle box for on/off

So I don't believe these different Notifications settings can cancel each other out. A real Android expert on Notifications - please chime in!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hmm--maybe I'm not completely understanding what you'd like to do. My suggestion should have helped if you wanted to turn off notifications completely for only one of your Gmail accounts (which is what I thought you were asking about). The Manage Labels section allows you to fine-tune notifications for each label, but if you turn off notifications completely (the way I had suggested), the Manage Labels section doesn't matter--it will tell you that you have to turn on notifications for the account in order to modify the label notifications.

bardiferous

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Well, I'd like to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony.

Short of that and, getting back on topic, I'd like my phone to notify me when I have Gmails. If I can refine that - and apparently it is possible - I'd like it to announce only specific labels.

But what I found was that I got multiple (up to 3, as seen in the original post) Notifications for Gmail. So I'm wondering what made me get 3 different Notifications that announced different numbers of emails and what I can expect if I enable Label Notificaitons.

So, right now I have the original Gmail Notifications on (for one of two accounts), but Label Notifications off. And from the Main Settings/General tab/Apps/Gmail, Notifications on. I'm getting no notifications for incoming Gmails on the account that I want Notifications.

Ehh! LOL, but frustrated.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Would you also like to buy the world a Coke?:p

So what happens if you turn on just one of the Label Notifications (like the Primary inbox)? The general Gmail Notifications setting being turned on is just the master switch. You should be able to fine-tune notifications further by turning various labels on or off. If the main Gmail Notifications setting is turned on, but all the labels are turned off, then it's the same as turning the main Gmail Notifications setting off.

bardiferous

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
For the past day I have had no notifications on the phone.

1. Main Settings/General Tab/Apps/Gmail
Show notifications is checked​

2. Gmail/Swipe from left -or- Hamburger/Settings/select account/
Notifications is checked​

3. Gmail/Swipe from left -or- Hamburger/Settings/select account//Manage Labels
only two labels are selected (for Google Voice calls & messages)​

AHA. I think I've got it, now. The Primary label I'd turned off.

So the Primary "label" - conceptually to me, not a label but an "Inbox" - but I suppose behind the Gmail curtain it is actually more similar to any other label, even "Trash." So the notifications were actually still working, as I just now triggered notifications for the Google Voice labels I'd left set.

And my phone shows a different notification per each "label."

So - am I missing anything about Gmail notifications?

Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited:

bardiferous

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Like I said, I think I have it figured out. There are three places to set notifications for the Gmail app. I listed them.

I then asked if I was missing anything? Actually, I am only guessing but if I turn off the #1 setting, if that will affect the others.

So, I think I have it figured out.

OhAlfie

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I wish the Gmail app would just show a badge instead of the huge notifications as mail comes in like most mail apps do (even stock mail does this!).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante