HOW TO: Clock Workrecovery Mod ( CWM )

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Long story short Steven0291 built a cusotm CWM that fixed the colors. But it appears to only work on his phone. I have tried flashing it several times several ways but it does nothing on my phone I still get the nasty blue/green look. The only difference we can see between our two phones is that he got his from Rogers and I got mine from AT&T. He said he was able to get it working by creating his own image using the stock P505 Kernel rather than the P500 Kernel that isntalls with CWM.

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Oh I can totally deal with the colors, its just that he was working on it and I figured heck why not have the pretty colors. Its not like I'm going to loose sleep over it or anything.

tolchuk

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
This may be a dumb question. I'm following the tutorial in the first post, but Rom Manager doesn't have an option for P500. Do I just choose P500 phone from the list like Optimus One or V? Thanks.

kb1982

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I downloaded joban's kernal and a rom to install it over on my rooted thrive. The problem I'm having is installing cwm via rom manager. I downloaded the app, select optimus one, then flash it to the rom and make a backup. When I reboot my phone, I get the andriod unpackaging icon, then my phone reboots and when it loads, my phone has been factory reset. I know that home+ volume key+power equals reset. Which keys do I use to get it to boot to cwm? I was able to manage to get into adroid recovery a few times but was unable to select any fuctions, only move the highlighted selection via the volume button. I'm assuming the android recovery I was in is cwm, but the only options I get are update.zip, reboot, and 2 others. From what I have seen from screenshots, cwm has more options than this. Am I booting into a factory recovery? What am I missing here? Btw I'm on a 506 thrive on att.

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I don't think you have flashed everything correctly, try flashing CWM again using the ROM Manger. When your done you should be able to boot to a screen that looks like the attached image except blue. If it doesn't say Clockwork Recovery at the top you your not use CWM.

BTW the image is not mine I found it from google and the orginal site has nothing to do with what we are talking about but in an spirit of giving credit where credit is due the site is http://lgp500.wordpress.com/2011/07/07/gingerbread-cyanogenmod7-rc1-rjtchn-installation-guide/

LifesGoodPhoenix

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I downloaded joban's kernal and a rom to install it over on my rooted thrive. The problem I'm having is installing cwm via rom manager. I downloaded the app, select optimus one, then flash it to the rom and *make a backup*.

what are you useing to "make a back up"? i hope you are not useing rom manager app. if holding Home Vol-down power after flash CWM doesnt boot you into CWM the flash was unsucksesful. Or if you are useing the rom manager app other than to flash, it could be whats messin you up.

thrivin

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
The Thrive 506 is slightly different from the Phoenix 505 and for this reason the Optimus One CWM doesnt play nice. In some cases it has sent people into fast boot hell (myself included).

What you will need to do is flash the custom CWM for the Thrive built by Raeyne

There doesnt appear to be a way to flash a custom CWM from within ROM manager, but maybe someone else know how. Otherwise:

remove/reinsert battery; use power+home to get to fastboot;

The from there follow the instructions below to replace the Optimus One CWM with the custom Thrive 506 CWM.

[HOWTO] Revive a bricked P500 on fastboot mode (the SHORT way) - xda-developers

PLEASE NOTE in STEP 5 that you should get the recovery image created by Raenye (here)

xda-developers - View Single Post - [Source] LGP506 (AT&T LG Thrive GoPhone)

Use that recovery image and it will allow you to get into Clockworkmod from which you should be to do all the fun things that you want.

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site
The Thrive 506 is slightly different from the Phoenix 505 and for this reason the Optimus One CWM doesnt play nice. In some cases it has sent people into fast boot hell (myself included).

What you will need to do is flash the custom CWM for the Thrive built by Raeyne

There doesnt appear to be a way to flash a custom CWM from within ROM manager, but maybe someone else know how. Otherwise:

remove/reinsert battery; use power+home to get to fastboot;

The from there follow the instructions below to replace the Optimus One CWM with the custom Thrive 506 CWM.

[HOWTO] Revive a bricked P500 on fastboot mode (the SHORT way) - xda-developers

PLEASE NOTE in STEP 5 that you should get the recovery image created by Raenye (here)

xda-developers - View Single Post - [Source] LGP506 (AT&T LG Thrive GoPhone)

Use that recovery image and it will allow you to get into Clockworkmod from which you should be to do all the fun things that you want.

Thrivin,

Would you mind doing a full write up in a new thread on how to get CWM installed on the thrive if there is such a difference I will change the title of this thread to reflect the P505 rather than a general how to for both phones. If this is leading people down the wrong path then by all means I will change it so as to not get them screwed up, last thing we want is them having to deal with fast boot hell.

Reactions: LifesGoodPhoenix

kb1982

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the suggestions. When I try to enter cwm, I get taken straight to fast boot mode. I'm gonna try Thrivin's method here in a little while. Hopefully all goes well and I can finally be free of at&t bloatware

thrivin

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Happy to, but lets see if it works for kb1982 and then I can pretend like I actually know something. Otherwise I'll just hide my head in shame and lurk in the shadows.

kb1982

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Well im learning. Thats about it. Thinking now i might want to switch my major in applied science to something else. First time i have ever used adb and sdk. Problem im having currently is getting my computer to read the device in fast boot mode. It list the device when the phonin adb whenit is booted up, but when in fast mode all i get is udc start followed by suspend. Should i be using fastboot in sdk to access my phone. when i click on it, it flashes up a cmd screen but then quickly disappears. Any suggestions?

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Did you already read the how to on getting out of fast boot hell? If not check the forum there is a a post by Joban on how to do this you will need to read the whole thread though as Joban overlooks one detail and you will bang your head against the wall trying to find the proper drivers if you don't already have them.

thrivin

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
I hate being one of those guys. But you must read.

The instructions clearly state:

3) Fire up your command prompt and cd to the directory where fastboot.exe is located.

That cant be any clearer.

You are not launching fastboot, you are not clicking fastboot.exe. You are using the cmd prompt to do everything.

Read the instructions before you do anything and read them again.

suntracker

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Happy to, but lets see if it works for kb1982 and then I can pretend like I actually know something. Otherwise I'll just hide my head in shame and lurk in the shadows.

Hello All.
I was having the exact same issue as kb1982.
The custom CWM for the Thrive built by Raeyne works perfectly and I can now boot into CWM Recovery on my P506 Thrive.

kb1982:
I placed Raeyne's .img file into my android/platform-tools folder on my PC, used my Command Prompt to navigate to that directly, and used the shell commands straight off his page here: xda-developers - View Single Post - [Source] LGP506 (AT&T LG Thrive GoPhone)
Once the phone rebooted, I launched the Rom Tools app, hit "reboot to recovery" and it worked.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djaa7