05-05-2013 03:29 PM
31 12
tools
    Using CWM (clockwordmod) on the Thrive is a challenging process. Some users have been able to flash the Optimus One CWM and use it to flash ROM's with no problems. Many other have run into severe difficulties and been sent into fastboot hell or other related hellish places.

If you are a Thrive user, and CWM is not working for you, this is your guide.

RULES:
    1. Read the instructions all the way through
    2. Read the instructions all the way through again
    3. If you run into problems due to not following Rules 1 & 2, prepare to to be met with sarcasm and ridicule
    4. Should you brick your phone or it starts WW III, it is not my fault.
    5. There are two threads referenced at the bottom of the post. There are the basis for all the information contained here. I take no credit. Many people have had questions/problems/issues, look there before asking any questions
    6. Google is your friend. Use it before asking any questions.
    7. The process may look hard, but its not.

OK, before you start anything. Have these ready in
    1. Get the USB drivers: http://csmg.lgmobile.com:9002/client...2CAppSetup.exe
    2. Get Android SDK: Android SDK | Android Developers

There is a chance you may be missing fastboot.exe and AdbWinApi.dll.

In which case please go here: xda-developers - View Single Post - [HOWTO] Revive a bricked P500 on fastboot mode (the SHORT way)

And download the files at the bottom of the post.Place both files in the tools folder.

3. Get JAVA, Android SDK will prompt you and tell you what you need to download
    4. Download the custom CWM: xda-developers - View Single Post - [Source] LGP506 (AT&T LG Thrive GoPhone)
    5. Extract the recovery image from the zipfile
    6. Place the image file in the same folder where fastboot.exe is (usually in the tools\ folder in the SDK).
    7. For your convenience, rename the img file as recovery.img or make sure you have the full name of the file written down correctly.

Lets Begin
    1. Go into ROM Manager
    2. Install the CWM for Optimus One
    3. DO NOTHING ELSE FROM ROM MANAGER.
    4. Power down the phone.
    5. Home+Volume Up+ Power On
    6. If you are successfully in CWM (the colors will be screwy) and you are fine, then you should be able to launch custom ROMs from here.
    7. It is now your choice if you want to replace CWM with a custom Thrive version

If flashing the Optimus One CWM didnt work
    1. You will now need to enter fastboot mode (typically you are already there) to do this you need to remove/reinsert battery; use power+home
    2. When you plugin the phone to your computer's USB and it is detected and the phone screen has this display:
    fastboot mode started
    udc.start()
    -- suspend --
    -- reset --
    -- portchange --
    -- reset --
    -- portchange --
    3. Use the command prompt and cd to the directory where fastboot.exe is located.
    4. Then type the following command:

fastboot erase recovery

5. When you get a successful confirmation, type:

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

6. Upon success, type:

fastboot reboot

You should now be able to boot into CWM with no problems.

Reference threads.
    [HOWTO] Revive a bricked P500 on fastboot mode (the SHORT way) - xda-developers
    [Source] LGP506 (AT&T LG Thrive GoPhone) - xda-developers
    donavan, Sheva, d10nt3 and 2 others like this.
    12-27-2011 12:20 AM
    great tut.
    12-27-2011 02:58 PM
    Thanks for this. I've rooted my Thrive, but that's about as far as I've taken it because I've seen some Thrive owners having problems. This is a great tutorial. I did wonder if it was possible for someone to continue the tutorial. Specifically:

7. It is now your choice if you want to replace CWM with a custom Thrive version

Would the decision be to replace CWM with a custom ROM at this point? What is meant by "custom Thrive version"?
    12-27-2011 06:59 PM
    CWM = is the interface with which you will flash ROMS

custom CWM = 4. Download the custom CWM: xda-developers - View Single Post - [Source] LGP506 (AT&T LG Thrive GoPhone)

custom ROM = Any ROM discussed in

http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-l...yro-fixed.html

I am partial to:

[ROM][23DEC] CyanogenMod 7.2.0-RC0-Thunderg-A4 [CM7STOCK] - xda-developers
    dmullens likes this.
    12-27-2011 07:29 PM
    not working can you post a more in depth tutorial on the command prompts?
    12-29-2011 01:30 AM
    found out how to use command prompt but when i try to flash recover the recovery.img it says it doesnt work
    12-29-2011 02:22 AM
    I am 99% sure that you arent using the command promt correctly.

Make sure you have changed directory's to the one containing fastboot.

Did you get confirmation that the erase worked?

Did you move the custom CWM file into the fastboot folder?

You need to start from the top and make sure you are doing everything correctly. Dont panic. Work slow.

Whatever you do, do not flash a kdz. That will permanently brick your phone.
    12-29-2011 03:45 PM
    I've seen kdz referred to in various posts. What exactly is it and what is it used for?
    12-29-2011 05:20 PM
    I am 99% sure that you arent using the command promt correctly.

Make sure you have changed directory's to the one containing fastboot.

Did you get confirmation that the erase worked?

Did you move the custom CWM file into the fastboot folder?

You need to start from the top and make sure you are doing everything correctly. Dont panic. Work slow.

Whatever you do, do not flash a kdz. That will permanently brick your phone.
    ok i have my android sdk folder and then i have fastboot in tools folder,
    yes it said that the erase worked, when i try to flash recovery it says cannot load recovery.img
    just move the image? or the rest of the files?
    i cant get my phone to start now and hard resets not working
    im so lost im mailing my phone to bestbuy and get a replacement tommorow
    12-29-2011 10:25 PM
    Are you sure you extracted the image file from the custom thrive zip file linked above
    12-29-2011 11:48 PM
    now i did. same thing "error loading recovery.img"
    12-30-2011 12:28 AM
    This is why I'm a bit reluctant to do a ROM. @dshiznit72, I hope you get things working...and perhaps figure out what went wrong. Wish I had more money to by a 'test' phone...however, if I had more money I would have gotten a more expensive phone
    12-30-2011 08:52 PM
    for me, when i turn it off, and press the home, volume up, and power the phone does a factory reset after showing an android with a white box next to him
    01-02-2012 08:48 AM
    never mind, i did the fastboot thing and now its waiting for device in comand prompt
    01-02-2012 09:06 AM
    hey guys, im starting to get really frustrated with this phone, my problem isnt that big but its not helpin
    how do i make the device recognized during comand prompt because it sits there trying to recognize the device
    01-03-2012 05:47 PM
    hey guys, im starting to get really frustrated with this phone, my problem isnt that big but its not helpin
    how do i make the device recognized during comand prompt because it sits there trying to recognize the device
    Not to be an OS snob, but using Linux takes away ALL of this where's-the-driver headache. Even if you don't make it your main OS, it's worth getting to know and maybe making a live USB stick for working with Android.

Good luck!
    01-03-2012 06:30 PM
    Did you install the lg drivers listed in the start of the thread?

Did your computer recognize the device when you connected it?

There is atleast one other thread on this site that addresses the issue of getting windows to recognize your phone.
    01-03-2012 06:48 PM
    ya i used the mobile support thing and it didnt show the p506 in att wen i pressed install mobile drivers
    srry for the trouble i know nuthin about this stuff, oh and when i tried the volume up,home, power method, the android unboxing thing came up, anyone know wat to do with that?
    01-03-2012 07:12 PM
    Not to state the blindingly obvious, but if your computer doesn't recognize your phone, then you can't make any changes to it. You need to go did the other thread.
    01-03-2012 10:40 PM
    K, thnx for the help guys, but du u know y it factory resets wen i press volume up,home,power
    01-04-2012 06:16 AM
    Thats because that sequence is meant to boot you into CWM. Which......you have not installed yet.
    01-04-2012 10:46 AM
    Wen i flash with optimus one it says flash successful
    01-04-2012 11:18 AM
    YOU MUST READ

RULES:
    1. Read the instructions all the way through
    2. Read the instructions all the way through again

If flashing the Optimus One CWM didnt work......
    Seriously, did you read the instructions?

I really want to be helpful, I do. But in order to do so, it would really help if you would stop being lazy and read. Not just this thread, but the threads I linked to.

If you cant be bothered to do any of this, then really you shouldnt be trying to flash anything.
    01-04-2012 12:48 PM
    I'm srry i guess i got overwhelmed
    01-04-2012 02:14 PM
    everyone have this problem" "error loading recovery.img"

delete the .img you have file extensions hidden, so the file is being called recovery.img.img
    01-06-2012 02:46 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD