.35 Gingerbread/ICS Kernal

joban

Banned
Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
Nothing like beating a dead horse, but if you can please make a contribution to drew who is helping us by building a bug free .35 kernel (ie one where wifi works).

As promised here are the instructions on how to test the buggy partially working .35 kernel on NEW baseband. This will allow you to try out all of the new .35/NBB based Roms on XDA, this is the direction that everyone is headed.

Key Points.

1. The instructions are for users still on OLD baseband.
2. The instructions should work for both Thrive and Phoenix Users.
3. As best I can tell, the process should be reversible
a. You are NOT flashing a KDZ, you are flashing a patch, so by wiping data, you can go back to OLD BASEBAND and the .32 kernel.
b.DISCLAIMER, I have NOT tried this yet.
4. You will have phone and data, but you will NOT have wifi
a. There have been some phoenix users that cannot get data, but I cant tell if that if a phoenix problem or something else.
5. As always, I cannot promise or guarantee you anything. If you phone melts into a pile of goo, it is not my fault.

On to the actual instructions:

1.. Get official CM7

CyanogenMod Mirror Network - Powered by TDRevolution

or (Oxygen http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1325386)

Both are .35 based and have active dev's on them. I had a glitch with Oxygen where no matter what, the ringer wouldnt sound.

2. Get the baseband patch (attached): original thread ([[Fixed][15-1-12]Old baseband fixed - xda-developers)

3. Get .35 kernel (attached)
3.a Put all 3 files on your SD card
4. Go into CWM
5. Wipe data
6. Flash CM7 or Oxygen
7. Flash the baseband patch
8. Reboot.
9. Let everything fully load (colors should be off)
10. Go back into CWM
11. Flash Joban .35 kernel.
12. Reboot

Thats it.

I assume you know all the other stuff about backing up your data etc.

Enjoy.

Why is my kernel posted here without my permission? And why is it even posted here if it breaks the rules?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Why is my kernel posted here without my permission? And why is it even posted here if it breaks the rules?

1. It's not your kernel. It's covered under the GPL, which means it's mine. And Drew's. And thrivin's. You need to get that through your head.

2. Posting it for distribution without the full, working source code is against not only the rules, but also against the law. It will be deleted, but not because you want it gone.

Reactions: temwt2 and Paul627g

thrivin

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
I think there is some confusion regarding the baseband patch.

If you already upgraded your phone from old baseband to new baseband. Then you do not need the patch.

To be clear this means that if you upgraded to the official LG released Gingerbread, then you would have changed to NEW basedband. Technically the only people that can do this are the Phoenix users, since GB update for Thrive has not been released.

For everyone else, your are still on OLD baseband.

That means if you want to try and use one of the newerl .35/NBB Roms that are out there, you must use the patch and the kernel.

I hope that clears things up.

temwt2

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
That's what I think is crazy about this whole situation. For Phoenix users who have upgraded to stock gingerbread which means new base band, all data services for custom roms do not work for some reason. Meanwhile, thrive users and phoenix users who have not upgraded can run new baseband roms with a baseband patch. What's the deal here?

kushkingz

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Yea soo the Baseband fix doesn't work for me. wont even boot past the LG sign
but i have a bb fix that worked for me before so its all good

raenye

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
OK, until someone compiles a well-behaved kernel and provides source, here's a simple wifi-enabled solution I came up with several days ago.

Rules:
1. Don't PM me with personal help requests or bug reports. This is simply a compilation of LG P505 stock gingerbread kernel and aspee's baseband patch on XDA. I claim no credit beyond putting it together and online.
2. Don't mirror this file. I want to keep track of the number of downloads.
3. Don't publish a different thread, here or elsewhere, linking to the file directly; link to this post instead.

The consequence of of failing to meet rules above would be that I cease sharing my findings with the community. Since most of you used my rooting method, you probably value my contribution and don't want this to happen.
EDIT: Rules 2 & 3 broken by kushkingz :mad: The link is still here, but there will be no updates.

Instructions:
1. Be on old baseband (= don't upgrade to official gingerbread via KDZ flashing).
2. Download P505 kernel and old baseband patch to your SD card.
3. Boot to recovery.
4. Install a gingerbread custom rom.
5. Install the patch.
6. Reboot.

I tested CM7 nightly, blackbird and oxygen.
3G, wifi, gps, camera worked out of box; didn't test UMTS data.
Oxygen had the blackscreen bug, but the other two didn't have it.

Last edited:

soundemonchan

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
OK, until someone compiles a well-behaved kernel and provides source, here's a simple wifi-enabled solution I came up with several days ago.

Rules:
1. Don't PM me with personal help requests or bug reports. This is simply a compilation of LG P505 stock gingerbread kernel and aspee's baseband patch on XDA. I claim no credit beyond putting it together and online.
3. Don't publish a different thread, here or elsewhere, linking to the file directly; link to this post instead.

The consequence of of failing to meet rules above would be that I cease sharing my findings with the community. Since most of you used my rooting method, you probably value my contribution and don't want this to happen.

Instructions:
1. Be on old baseband (= don't upgrade to official gingerbread via KDZ flashing).
3. Boot to recovery.
5. Install the patch.
6. Reboot.

Great. This works fine but for the users on NBB we'll have to keep developing.

thrivin

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

Rules:

Instructions:
3. Boot to recovery.
5. Install the patch.
6. Reboot.

Very cool. Thank you.

Just in case.

Can this also be used on the Thrive?

savior1974

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Very cool. Thank you.

Just in case.

Can this also be used on the Thrive?

I'll try this on my thrive right now... I'll let you know in a few minutes if it works for me.

Edit: Flashed CM7 nightly 34 for P500, then I flashed the P505 Kernal and old baseband patch. Phone booted up fine, but I didn't have data, and I seemed to have the blackscreen bug. Maybe someone else will have better luck.

Last edited:

LifesGoodPhoenix

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
well im confused
i thought that official cm7 was not only nbb but also .35 only kernel, as with some other roms.
so does this bb patch fix not only for bb but for using a .32 kernel? or am i thinkin to hard on this?
and if thats the case then why the hell would you upgrade, officially? aarrggghhh

thrivin

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
I'll try this on my thrive right now... I'll let you know in a few minutes if it works for me.

Edit: Flashed CM7 nightly 34 for P500, then I flashed the P505 Kernal and old baseband patch. Phone booted up fine, but I didn't have data, and I seemed to have the blackscreen bug. Maybe someone else will have better luck.

Thanks.

Can you tell me if the instructions I posted work for you?