.35 Gingerbread/ICS Kernal

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
"Snake oil" implies fraud. What Joban has released -- regardless of whether it violated the GPL -- wasn't a fraud; it actually did something, unlike the "snake oil" preparations of the past.

Personally, I'm happy with any legitimate, GPL abiding contributions, regardless of who they come from.

GPL violations are non negotiable, and are strictly enforced via the forum rules. He was asked directly to release his kernel to the community, and defied that request. If you take the time to read his past threads, and posts, you would be hard pressed to find a single contribution from him in the past several months.

1. On 2/25 he reported a post that included an upload to what he declared as being "his" kernel.
  2. After having explained to him our position on closed sourced releases, he again asked on 2/27 (in this thread) why "his kernel" had been posted without his permission.
  3. On 3/15 he declared that WiFi in his kernel had been fixed. He ignored several requests to release the .35 kernel so that you guys could build off it in an effort to solve the problem you were trying to solve.
  4. On 4/6 he made a sudden appearance to announce that he would release something in a week or two.

In the meantime, you have Donavan working his tail off, in your interest, trying to make some sort of progress.

And if you take the time to read this thread, you will see his attitude/position toward helping Donavan and the rest of you for that matter.

Then there was his announcement on 2/23 that he was leaving the AC community all together.

So, just to be clear:

1. Joban, and all others who label themselves as developers are all held to the same standards. These standards are in place to provide legitimacy to AC's developer program, and are equally applied out of respect to those who have the integrity to abide by them. In fact, these standards are not unique to AndroidCentral.
  2. The openness of the Android OS is what differentiates it from closed source platforms such as iOS, WP, and other mobile platforms. Had he shared his kernel with the community, you might have been looking at working WiFi along time ago, let alone in the next 1-2 weeks.
  3. And as Jerry pointed out in post #64, in response to his declaring ownership of this kernel, "Posting it for distribution without the full, working source code is against not only the rules, but also against the law."

So, what may have looked like a dick move to you, was actually the result of hours of research, pragmatism, and a conclusion that he was not acting in the interest of your, nor the rest of the AC community. Not to mention a huge consumption of time I didn't have to spare.

Cory

Reactions: donavan

ddiddy22

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Personally I find it offensive the way Joban has held us all hostage. Helping, testing and donating behind donoven is the only way to go. Unless of course u like being treated like a .
I hope everything is o.k. Drewwalton. Hopefully things will settle down for u and we'll see u around more

Sent from my LG-P500 using Tapatalk

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Best thing to do is everyone rallies around Donovan and Drew and something good should come of all this.

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Ok just an update everyone. I attempted the first kernel build yesterday using the stock kernel source and the latest cyanogen for the P500. The zImage seemed to build just fine but it yelled about formatting when I tried to flash the ROM. I still haven't figured out how to make a patchable Zip file yet but that's my next step. Hope to play around with that today or tomorrow once all the family stuff is over. If this works I will try with a copy either franco's or drew's kernel.

PersonaNonGrata

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
Ok just an update everyone. I attempted the first kernel build yesterday using the stock kernel source and the latest cyanogen for the P500. The zImage seemed to build just fine but it yelled about formatting when I tried to flash the ROM. I still haven't figured out how to make a patchable Zip file yet but that's my next step. Hope to play around with that today or tomorrow once all the family stuff is over. If this works I will try with a copy either franco's or drew's kernel.

This should make it easy to make a patchable zip file:
D4 Update Zip Maker v1.2r1 - Make update.zip with some clicks! - xda-developers

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Great find! I have one other issue I need to research on (aside from getting this proram working) and that is the issue of our source using and update script vs updater script (maybe the other way round) but apparently there is an old way and a new way to do some stuff in the build and I tried building mine the old way so I need to read up on that. If the Fiance doesn't have any plans for me today I may have time to try another build once I read up on the issue. Sorry I would give you more detailed information on the issues I have run into but right now I am in windows 7 and getting to my build environment means rebooting.

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Just in case this hasn't been discovered yet:
Tool for LG Optimus One Makes Building from Source Easy

I am totally going to check this out when I get home and get some time.

So I actually wanna have a challenge and I want to learn more about android development so I'm gonna try and make sure kernel, just to try it out. :D

Heck the more people we have working on this the better, you never know we might be using your kernel if you are successful before the rest of us. Thats the beauty of open source.

kushkingz

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
He modded the stock kernel for the p 505 so there was no problem to begin wit

Edit :: I made an assumption, best logical guess, not 100% cuz not sources

Last edited:

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site
i presume the color issue was a diff in drivers between the p505 and p500. but thats just a guess.

I believe you are correct in this assumption, However I don't think he used the stock source I believe he may have used franco's kernel in a modified form, which is what allowed him to overclock the CPU (and also what killed the battery). I think he needed the stock source as a reference point to but I could be wrong.

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I know this is off topic but could some of you thrive users check out this thread and give it a try so I know if it works for the thrive as well. If I can verify this to work on the thrive then the thrive will officially get supported in ROM Manager for installing CWM if not then I will have to call it for the Phoenix only. Only try this if you know how to re-flash CWM to the original file you had before you started and please use the latest build. I know that the Thrive can be temperamental so Do so at your own risk.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-...-need-couple-brave-souls-test-custom-cwm.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC