.35 Gingerbread/ICS Kernal

thrivin

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
As many of you know we are desperately in need of a .35 kernel for Gingerbread and ICS.

drewwalton19216801 (http://forums.androidcentral.com/members/drewwalton19216801-112605/)

has graciously offered up his time and skills to build that kernel for us.

This is in spite of the fact that he doesnt even own a Phoenix/Thrive.

In order for him to build us a kick@$$ kernel it would be great if he could get one to test out his kernels on.

A used one cost $80 bucks on Ebay.

Lets all chip in whatever you can ($1,$5,$10,$20) to get him one.

My $5 is already on its way.

$75 to go.

Please give whatever you can.

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/w...737ba21b08198394a36eb091078947b44ba9ddd4b06b8

Last edited:

thrivin

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
So I have been testing the .35 kernel from he who shall not be named for the last few days.

I have been using it with the latest official CM7 nightly #34. Its really snappy and responsive. I haven't noticed any blackscreen bug at all.

The biggest issues are battery drain (I get only 24hrs) and the lack of wifi.

I have great hopes that our newest friend Drew will bring us to the next level.

For those of you who want to give the. 35 kernel on new baseband a try, I am willing to tell you how I did it without almost no risk of bricking.

The catch..........make a contribution to drew as detailed above. Get him a phoenix so he can build us a custom kernal without any glitches.

We're almost halfway there already.

Full disclaimer, nothing I did isn't anything you can't figure out yourself if you read the boards. But I can give you the blow by blow.

Come on folks send the man a few bucks. Skip that coffee or beer tomorrow !

Deathglobe

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
to put this question to rest will this development help out the thrive? seeing how LG hasnt given our phone the gingerbread yet.

thrivin

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Guys, maybe my username didn't give it away. But I have a Thrive P506 and am on new baseband using the. 35 kernel along with official cm7. The process works the same for thrive or phoenix.

Last edited:

temwt2

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Whose kernel and what do you mean by official cm7? As far as I know, none of the custom roms have been working for the .35 kernel/nbb. By not working I mean, no data services/wifi/probably a few other things. I have a phoenix but I'm pretty sure we are both in the same boat.

joban

Banned
Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
wouldnt it be smarter for him to make a thread of his testing kernels and let testers test for him, instead of wasting money on a new phone for him?

thrivin

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Whose kernel and what do you mean by official cm7? As far as I know, none of the custom roms have been working for the .35 kernel/nbb. By not working I mean, no data services/wifi/probably a few other things. I have a phoenix but I'm pretty sure we are both in the same boat.

Guys I dont know how to make this any clearer

I have a Thrive p506

I am using official CM7 nightlys (for thep500)-currently #34 from cyanogenmod downloaded from here :

CyanogenMod Mirror Network - Powered by TDRevolution

It requires new baseband - which I am on

It requires a .35 kernel - which I am using the broken one given to us by "he who shall not be named"

I have data and phone service

I DO NOT have wifi.

Hopefully that clears things up.

iosdemolisher

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Guys, maybe my username didn't give it away. But I have a Thrive P506 and am on new baseband using the. 35 kernel along with official cm7. The process works the same for thrive or phoenix.

thnx for the confirmation that it works but did you use kdz flasher to flash the stock gingerbread

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
wouldnt it be smarter for him to make a thread of his testing kernels and let testers test for him, instead of wasting money on a new phone for him?

And why do you use the word wasting? It's hardly a waste. Once I get a Thrive and/or Phoenix in my hands (or both!) there's gonna be a lot more goodies coming for you guys.

Also, having the physical device makes it 100 times easier to debug issues.

thrivin

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
thnx for the confirmation that it works but did you use kdz flasher to flash the stock gingerbread

I did not flash kdz

Roll drew a few bucks and I will pm you how I did it.

Everyone else who has donated, i will pm you also so you can try it too.

Again nothing I have done isn't something you cant figure out on your own.

I am just trying to encourage contributions.

iosdemolisher

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
I did not flash kdz

Roll drew a few bucks and I will pm you how I did it.

Everyone else who has donated, i will pm you also so you can try it too.

Again nothing I have done isn't something you cant figure out on your own.

I am just trying to encourage contributions.

this is pretty embarassing, but im still in high school, so if i had the money i would donate, but i don't, srry

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
this is pretty embarassing, but im still in high school, so if i had the money i would donate, but i don't, srry

It's the thought that counts. Seriously :)

Also (and this is for any of you turkeys to answer), which of the Phoenix or Thrive have an official Gingerbread update?

Edit: Apparently the Phoenix got the update, so that's the one I'm going to work with at least for now.

Last edited:

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site
It's the thought that counts. Seriously :)

Also (and this is for any of you turkeys to answer), which of the Phoenix or Thrive have an official Gingerbread update?

Edit: Apparently the Phoenix got the update, so that's the one I'm going to work with at least for now.

yeah sorry should have told you that one before hand. If you have any issues getting the source let us know I for one have a copy I can upload somewhere if its needed.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2