Lg Thrive and Lg Phoenix new kernel for ICS and Jelly Bean

gabo_lope

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
This is not my work, i just brought the news from xda-developers

Today a great developer DJNoXD released a new kernel for the lg thrive and phoenix users, is developed for ICS and Jelly Bean...

I tested it with several ICS and Jelly Bean roms (i did no tested it with Gingerbread) developed for the p500, and i did not find any major issue, and if you find a glitch, bug, or any other problem while using this kernel, it must be addressed to the original developer DJNoXD, here [KERNEL (2.6.35.14)] candied(Ice) v2.5.8 (2012-11-29) - xda-developers

Anyway here it is the post where he released the kernel

p505/p506 kernel build (using rasheds config file) is build and uploaded.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/47qhjwzt9ig09oo/Qi3YmluwMT

Original post xda-developers - View Single Post - [KERNEL (2.6.35.14)] candied(Ice) v2.5.8 (2012-11-29)

Addition: The developer Sweetnsour released a kernel for Jelly Bean and ICS. This kernel can be found in the first post in his XDA thread [KERNEL][GPL][ICS|JB] sweetnsour.kernel-version4a/5c - xda-developers Also any problem you encounter must be adressed to him, in his thread

Also for the p506 users and the p505 users that are on old baseband, they must flash the Old Baseband Fix and you can get it here OldBBFix_signed.zip and if that doesn't work, as it didn't work for me... you must unzip the file and put the three lib files in /system/lib and set the right permissions

Last edited:

korrectmethod

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Good news i have p505 with oldbb which ics or jb rom do you recommend to use with this kernel?

I recommend genetics 9.1.6. You can find it in general section for p500 on xda forum. It has great battery life, very smooth, HD YouTube, and no bugs to worry about. Personally I'm using the nightly four E 5.1. It's based on the genetics rom but themed and tweaked. It's also in the P500 section on Xda

Sent from my LG-P506 using Android Central Forums

buzzman

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for posting this. On a whim I just googled roms for the lg thrive, p506. I can't believe the progress over the last year. I will have to dig my 2 thrives out of the drawer. Looks like they might be worked into great back up phones with decent roms. I have been off these Phones for a year or more.

So, I have CM7 on an altered kernel (to be nameless) with the old baseband. ( I also have a rooted stock one )

To flash an ICS rom on my thrive, I -

1) Do a compete wipe
2)Flash any p 500 rom
3)Flash new kernel above
4)Flash new baseband patch

If these are correct steps, can someone confirm? Thanks!

Thanks to all you devs who continued to develop these phones. And carried on others work.

So, I did all the steps as above. I went with CM10 unofficial for p506, the new kernel, flashed the BB patch sucessfully (files all in the right place).

Was not successful with a working wifi, gps, or homebutton. Everything else seems to work. I was told I needed to "trim the rom" for this phone. Does anyone know what this means or have a link to explain how to do it?

So- here is the link to learn how to trim the CyanogenMod roms for our phone.

[ TOOL ][ WINDOWS ][ BETA ] OOne ROM Editor - xda-developers 1st paragraph below.

shinobisoft says" This tool was designed to assist with removing unwanted applications, ringtones, and fonts from our ICS and JB roms so as to shrink the overall size of the system partition prior to flashing. This tool will only edit ICS and JB ROMs for LG Optimus One family devices. Please refer to the help documentation for complete details and supported devices."

So I tried again with slimbean for the p500. Followed the flash steps above 1-4 (needed to flash gapps- used the smaller version for the CM10-worked fine). This rom is small enough that it does not need to be trimmed, which I am hesitant to even look into. Very intimidating!!!! :)

Slimbean is working well. Wifi, gps,data and phone connection, sms. Happy with it as a back up phone. Using link2sd fine.

Last edited:

LifesGoodPhoenix

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
yes you are correct with what you have done and what you have found.
i havent used OOne yet. in theory you shouldnt have to flash the bb patch with that rom, i believe that it is built in.

buzzman

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks LGP! Just putting this out for anyone else interested in hacking these thrive/phoenix phones into updated roms. You can't just flash any p500 rom on these phones cause apparently the internal system is only 190 or 200 mb to hold the rom. Many roms are bigger than this and just won't work right.

I felt like a real idiot :confused:trying to find out why my flash had problems. It's common knowledge on XDA about this problem. If it is common knowledge here, is it posted anywhere on this forum?, cause I certainly couldn't find it! Or I just didn't know what to search for.

I hope this helps someone like me who likes to mod their phones, but are not very technically inclined. It also didn't help that I hadn't touched this phone for over a year so I was very rusty. I was really excited to give it a try and it just was very frustrating. So heads up to anyone else wanting to give it a go!

I am all sorted out now and we'll see how Slimbean runs! :)

LifesGoodPhoenix

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
This being common knowledge? Yesish, there isn't much action here, only about a hand fill of us.
And we are at xda also.
Just here to help.

Hows slimbean?

buzzman

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I appreciate all the help I can get!! Just want to pass it on. Yeah, this site is pretty dead, I agree. I'm am tired of being told to search when I have no clue what to search for ( although that didn't happen this time around) and I'm tired of being told don't clutter the thread with help questions cause it's a dev thread. I think sometimes people forget how they once were and everyone's talents lie in different places. For those that did reach out and help- I thank you from the bottom of my heart!!!! :) I just need a shove in the right direction sometimes!

Can this info be put somewhere so it can be found easily? I must have been told by 3 people on XDA I needed to trim, or did I trim the rom without any further explanation. I usually am pretty good with doing my homework and reading how to do stuff, but this hit sideways. LOL :) Not a word here- We need to get the word spread to people who need it. At xda, there is not a device forum for the p505/506. I did not know it was all grouped into the p500 till I popped in here yesterday.

I know these devices are pretty old now, but ICS and JB roms will breathe new life into them and make them usable again. I even moved on to the Gnex and the Note- but as a backup, or for some kid just getting a smart phone, these roms will make a huge difference. They can even bring up their resale value.

Slimbean is working really well. Been running it all day and no hiccups yet. I don't have near as many apps, and what I do have are on link2sd. My goal here is to give it to my hubby so he can learn android. I am sorry to say he is an iphone man. And he doesn't like the larger size of the phones being put out now. I love them! The Thrive and Phoenix are almost the exact same size as the iphone 3gs.

Thanks for taking the time and for being here!;)

korrectmethod

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
The rom editor by shinobisoft (aka bill.weckel), is very easy to use. Just start the program, browse and find the rom you want to trim, delete unneccesary apps (apollo, cm file manager, spare parts, development, sound recorder, exchange, email, whatever you don't need that isn't required), and also under build options make sure to check that it only installs english only latinime (it will be your biggest space saver). Other options include deleting unused fonts, ringtones, and moving system apps to user apps. I have cm10.1 trimmed down to 80mb after using the tool. Hope this helps.

buzzman

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
The rom editor by shinobisoft (aka bill.weckel), is very easy to use. Just start the program, browse and find the rom you want to trim, delete unneccesary apps (apollo, cm file manager, spare parts, development, sound recorder, exchange, email, whatever you don't need that isn't required), and also under build options make sure to check that it only installs english only latinime (it will be your biggest space saver). Other options include deleting unused fonts, ringtones, and moving system apps to user apps. I have cm10.1 trimmed down to 80mb after using the tool. Hope this helps.

Now this is the kind of help that really ROCKS! Thank you so much. I might just give it a try! :)

The other kind of "help" that was being offered was to check how many megabytes were filled or free on the system partition. How do I access that? All I was finding was internal storage and was told that was not it. Root explorer was no help there either since I wasn't sure what I was looking for. And since the rom was buggy, my computer couldn't see the phone via usb. I was stuck there and gave up.

Slimbean has been sucking my battery dry. Dead in 12 hrs twice with nothing obvious running except wifi with a great connection. Just put on cpu spy and better battery stats to track it further. Recharging, If I figure it out, I'll post. Battery info says it ran on top speed with no deep sleep.

This is just something fun to try, and I have 2 thrives- one stock, rooted, and this one that I have been trying stuff on. If I hit a winner, I will set the stock one up for hubby for him to play with and learn android. It's basically brand new, Hardly used.

Just remembering the problem with wifi and this phone that the app xtr50fix solved. This does not appear to work on the later roms. I just flipped to airplane mode and off (which is essentially what the xtr50fix did upon boot). So I'll see if that is the power issue.

*********************************************************************************

Another good resource to installing roms on this phone! [How To] Install your first custom ROM on LG Optimus One P500 | Digital Arena

*******************************************************************************************************************

Well, KorrectMethod, you were very right about using the rom trimming tool. I was able to trim 40 mb and got it down to 90 mb. Very easy to follow directions.

I will flash this rom again along with the mini gapps and see where I get. Thanks again for helping me get this going! :)

After manually putting slimbean into airplane mode, and off, only lost 5% of battery in a couple of hours. Will let it run till tomorrow and see what I have in the morning. Last 2 days it was dead overnite.
*******************************************************************************************************************
Day 3- dead again overnite. So it's the rom or kernel. Will flash CM10 and see how that goes.

bootloop :'( The trim program did not trim so good. Untrimmed CM10 loaded fine, but alot of things broken. The trimmed rom just would not get off the spinning robot! Had a little trouble using hardware buttons to boot into recovery- eventually got it, back to slimbean.

Last edited:

gabo_lope

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
Well if you really want battery life improved, you should really try CM9, and you won't regret it, just need to flash the rom and gapps

Sent from my LG-P506 using Tapatalk 2

buzzman

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Might just do that. CM10 after I trimmed it sent me into a bootloop twice on the opening screen. Am back on slimbean with a restore, so will try again. On stock with this phone it went for 3-4 days! With lite use. But after using the newer phones, I'm spoiled big time :)

So, put slimbean to bed and this time I turned off wifi- even though nothing was running and I had a great connection. In the morning battery was only down by 5%. 95% left. On newer phones if wifi is on, but not being accessed by any programs, it doesn't wear down the battery. Only when searching for signals or being used is the battery affected. So, wifi needs to be turned off on this p506 or your battery is dead in 12 hrs.

Last edited:

korrectmethod

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Download deep sleep battery saver app (its free). I think there may be a problem with slim bean and other JB roms with going to deep sleep. (CPU SPY shows this). But if you want something stable, fast, and awesome battery life, i can't recommend ICS enough now.

This rom: [ROM][15-Feb][STABLE+SMOOTH+FAST] NightlyFourE ICS 5.3 REMAKE - xda-developers

This brand new kernel: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/47qhjwzt...ins-candiedIce-kernel-p505-p506-43-signed.zip

Battery will drain 1% overnight for me, and I can get about 3-4 days of mild usage out of it.

Boris0190

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Download deep sleep battery saver app (its free). I think there may be a problem with slim bean and other JB roms with going to deep sleep. (CPU SPY shows this). But if you want something stable, fast, and awesome battery life, i can't recommend ICS enough now.

This rom: [ROM][15-Feb][STABLE+SMOOTH+FAST] NightlyFourE ICS 5.3 REMAKE - xda-developers

This brand new kernel: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/47qhjwzt...ins-candiedIce-kernel-p505-p506-43-signed.zip

Battery will drain 1% overnight for me, and I can get about 3-4 days of mild usage out of it.

I allready install that ROM but I get 3 random boots in only 5 minutes lol, do you do a personal config or nothing?

buzzman

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all your replies. I appreciate the time you took to respond! :) Will try the ics rom when I get back into the mood. LOL. On my Note, I still run ICS for it's stability. Padawan's great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol