I cant believe it's taken AT&T so long to launch this phone!! With that out of the way, anyone plan on picking one up?

The launch date is said to be April 17th. This phone is quite a capable android handset. Sans Adobe snubbing the armv6 processors for flash, which this has that processor , everything else works and works amazingly well.
    04-12-2011 05:09 PM
    I cant believe it's taken AT&T so long to launch this phone!! With that out of the way, anyone plan on picking one up?

The launch date is said to be April 17th. This phone is quite a capable android handset. Sans Adobe snubbing the armv6 processors for flash, which this has that processor , everything else works and works amazingly well.
    After seeing my Optimus S over the holidays, my dad has been dying to get one of his very own. He's on AT&T and does not want a phone that is as physically large as the AT&T Android offerings. This phone has been in the rumor mill forever, I was beginning to doubt if it would come out. Dad will be heading to the AT&T store on day one to check it out.
    04-13-2011 07:16 AM
    The Thrive is perfect for me since I kinda "lose" phones during certain drunken nights. My friend has the Optimus S and it's a great device to have during that time where the insurance company is kicking in to ship a phone during a 6 week process lol. All I have to do is get a replacement SIM card and I'm good.
    04-15-2011 08:41 AM
    I love the optimus series of phones, they let me put more trust in LG. If i wanted a midrange phone this is it, cause it's close to stock, but I'll stick with my NS.
    04-15-2011 07:39 PM
    Think there'll be a way to get the prepaid version on att contract without data. I think I have a friend or 2 who'd want one just for wifi
    04-22-2011 06:53 PM
    I have it. It's working. Well.

On both ATT Go and ST. Yay!!

Now, to get to work on this thing.
    04-23-2011 01:04 AM
    Hey, so is 500MB of data a decent amount with these phones? Or do I need to root and restrict usage using a firewall, like people do when they put phones on PagePlus?
    04-23-2011 07:16 PM
    I received my Thrive about 3 days ago. Still testing things out.

As for using it without a data plan, I think that works. When I received the phone I was able to browse the web through wifi even before activating it. I think I even received some text messages via Google Voice through wifi.

I think, for me, the data limits won't be an issue. However, I noticed something was using up data (200K-500K) when I was away from home for about an hour....yet I wasn't actively doing anything on it. I think it might be something that was using location services. Not sure what though. It might have been a weather app that was set to 'track my location.' Not really worth it.

I got 3G Watchdog and Traffic Stats to keep an eye on things. While I'm mostly around Wifi, I don't want some silly program using up all the 3G data when I'm not actively using the phone.

dave.
    04-25-2011 03:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD