Rooting your LG Thrive - Manual and Auto Methods

sd_matto

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Manual Method:

Used superoneclick 1.7 (google it; I believe that v.1.9.1 is now out) with rageagainstthecage exploit (NOT psneuter) to get a shell root (i.e., a temporary root).

Then, used following manual method to do permanent root (with included Superuser.apk and RootExplorer.apk (best purchase [Yes, have to purchase this one] from Android Market); DroidXCon suggested using supermanager.apk as a substitute for RootExplorer.apk, but I have not tried that methodology) with following commands (commands are from a Windows 7 command prompt, with proper adb install):

[Enable phone's /system to have files copied and deleted]
adb shell
[Make sure a "#" shows up as a prompt; if you only get a "$", your phone is NOT enabled with temporary root, so you need to re-root it with superoneclick]
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /system /system
exit

[Copy appropriate files to phone's /system]
adb push su /system/bin
adb push busybox /system/bin
adb push Superuser.apk /system/app
adb push RootExplorer.apk /system/app

[Please note that it is VERY important to install a properly purchased RootExplorer.apk (or an acceptable substitute) to /system/app (and not via market to /data/app), as I believe from experience that ATT has installed an app (probably the ATT Application Manager, though it could be another of the dozen+ crapware .apks that I got rid of after RootExplorer got root permissions) that blocks applications in /data/app from getting root permissions.]

[Set appropriate permissions for su and busybox]
adb shell
cd /system/bin
chmod 4755 su
chmod 555 busybox
exit

[Reboot to kick out temporary root exploit and allow permanent root to take over]
adb reboot

Your phone should now be rooted.

You may want to test your root by opening your Root Explorer (or suitable substitute), and deleting (or renaming) some of the crapware that ATT installed on the phone (found in /system/app), most notably the ATT Application Manager .apk.

Not to belabor the obvious, but the above information is provided "AS-IS" with no warranty or representation of any kind, and all warranties, whether express, implied or statutory, including without limitation warranties therein of fitness for a particular purpose, noninfringement, merchantibility and title, are disclaimed to the maximum extent permitted by applicable law. IN OTHER WORDS, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BRING ANY HARM TO YOUR PHONE USING ANY OR ALL OF THE INFORMATION I PROVIDE ABOVE.

I cannot wait for LG to release source code and/or someone more talented than me to prepare and release a custom recovery to be provided so that we can have a little more margin for error with this phone.

Last edited:

sd_matto

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Automated Method:

[Coming Soon]

Mod - Please transfer authorship/ownership of this post to DroidXCon. Thanks

Last edited:

sd_matto

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Did not try this exploit, but it looks good.

Thanks for reporting it.

Btw, if DroidXCon wants to post links to the automated methods (his original script, and the Gingerbreak script), I can copy the links to the second post in this thread (with proper attribution to DroidXCon), and this thread can then be stickied (as was originally intended).

Thanks again.

JTizzle

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
The newest version (1.9.1 as of now) of SuperOneClick has Gingerbreak. Unfortunately it did not work for me. Or at least the full root didn't, didn't try shell root with it. I had to use ratc shell root using dinlaca's procedure.

Since I am a cheapass, I tried using SuperManager, but couldn't get it to work. Downloaded the apk straight from his site and I got nothing but FCs. Just for grins I left RootExplorer in /data/app to see if it would work and it is fine. There are other apps in /data/app that have root access too (Titanium Backup, etc) so I don't think that is required. Moving apps from /data/app to /system/app does make Application Manager move it from the Downloads section to the inbuilt Applications section. I don't find Application Manager too bad. Kind of redundant, but it allows easy access to killing running apps and uninstalling them (can both be done in Android, but easy access) and also different categories to segregate apps.

There are many ways to verify root, but a noob friendly way is to install Root Checker.

Anyways, nice write-up! Cheers!!

Reactions: n2alltheworld

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
The newest version (1.9.1 as of now) of SuperOneClick has Gingerbreak. Unfortunately it did not work for me. Or at least the full root didn't, didn't try shell root with it. I had to use ratc shell root using dinlaca's procedure.

Since I am a cheapass, I tried using SuperManager, but couldn't get it to work. Downloaded the apk straight from his site and I got nothing but FCs. Just for grins I left RootExplorer in /data/app to see if it would work and it is fine. There are other apps in /data/app that have root access too (Titanium Backup, etc) so I don't think that is required. Moving apps from /data/app to /system/app does make Application Manager move it from the Downloads section to the inbuilt Applications section. I don't find Application Manager too bad. Kind of redundant, but it allows easy access to killing running apps and uninstalling them (can both be done in Android, but easy access) and also different categories to segregate apps.

There are many ways to verify root, but a noob friendly way is to install Root Checker.

Anyways, nice write-up! Cheers!!

Did you remove AT&T Application Manager beforehand? Or is it still on your phone?

JTizzle

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
Not saying $150 is nothing, but it's a total deal from Amazon right now. Especially considering the same phone other than colour (Phoenix) is $350 from AT&T for no commitment pricing.

Wonder if this price is an introductory price like what happened to the Optimus V when it launched (coincidentally at $150).

dmullens

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys for working this all out. I have not rooted my Thrive yet...even though I'm comfortable in Linux (use to run it on my laptop), I'm still hesitant about rooting the phone (especially if there isn't a good/easy way to fully restore). Just don't have the $$ to purchase another phone in case something goes wrong with this one.

Would love to find a _very_ cheap android phone to mess around with. This is my first one and so far I'm loving it. With my first child heading to college, I just don't have the extra $$ to take chances...well...actually I wouldn't want to tell my wife I messed up my phone so I have to get another one ;)

Thanks again...perhaps once all this is automated and "fool proof" I'll dive in (or when the old family ATT contract is up).

Reactions: Dakran

GreenView

May 14, 2011
Visit site
superoneclick 1.9 with rageagainstthecage in the exploit directory worked for me to get temp root.

Then I used "BusyBox Installer 3.4.6" and "Non-Market Apps Enabler 0.3.1" from the market to get full root and sideloading. I don't think rootexplorer is required at all.

Reactions: n2alltheworld

sd_matto

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Then I used "BusyBox Installer 3.4.6" and "Non-Market Apps Enabler 0.3.1" from the market to get full root and sideloading. I don't think rootexplorer is required at all.

Thanks for the info. Mind if I update the first post to include this alternative to Root Explorer? Thanks for letting me know.

jafi89

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Not sure why but all the super one click programs just keep saying "not responding". Supposedly i have the latest drivers. Any advice?

rudeboyintrouble

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Works!

SuperOneClick 165 rage exploit rooted my LG Phoenix
--
It did, however, do a factory reset on my phone. Even though all SD card files are present and readable.
I wasn't able to backup my apps properly beforehand, but that's ok.

Last edited:

n2alltheworld

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Rooted LG Thrive After Some Trial & Error!

Hi Guys,

I successfully rooted my LG Thrive. I can confirm that you need the rageagainstthecage exploit to gain temp shell root.

I did follow dinlaca's instructions to the T, only to find out that @ the ADB command line I didn't always have the # > I just had a > if you only have > at the command line, your commands will not work.

Always make sure you have # > before issuing any commands.

I did not use Root Explorer, it's not necessary unless you want to pay for it. I successfully used Super Manager the free version.

You also do not need "Non-Market Apps Enabler 0.3.1" to install unknown sources apps. There is an alternative way if you don't like paying for apps like me, open source all the way! hehe

After following dinlaca's instructions to install SU, Busybox and SuperUser.apk. I rebooted installed BusyBox Installer 3.4.6 per GreenView also installed Super Manager and Titanium Backup from the market. So far so good.

I will also say that I tried to hack into the settings.db an SQLite Database on the phone. In a table it has allow non market apps 0. I tried changing this to 1 and when I rebooted the phone it went into a never ending loop, from the LG Startup Screen to the AT&T Rethink Possible Screen, until I did a Hard Reset reverting the phone back to factory settings. Surprisngly Root was still enabled and everything on my SD Card was still there also. I just had to redownload my apps from the market. Let me stress here always always always make backups if possible! :)

I almost had a heart attack! LoL

But Lucky everything was fine after the Hard Reset.

If you ever need to do a Hard Reset here is the procedure:

Press and hold "Volume Up + Home + Power Button all @ the same time.

I hope this info is helpful to someone and I just wanted to say thanks to all the LG Thrive Hacking pioneers! Cheers! ;)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae