Potential Rooting Issues

dmullens

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
I wasn't planning on rooting my Thrive, but now I'm thinking about it because 1) I would like to run DroidWall, and 2) I would like to free up some space by getting rid of some of the ATT software.

This is my first Android phone (actually my first smartphone). I really don't want to mess it up. I've read through the forum on rooting the phone, so I know there are instructions available.

What are some of the potential problems?

How easy is this to do? Is it easy to brink the phone?

thanks.

Franzferdinan51

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
i would like to know how to remove bloat IDK how and I've rooted multiple phones including the Phoenix but to answer your question in hopes of getting mine answered as well use super one click I had no issues at all from it quick and simple

Sent from my LG-P505 using Tapatalk

dmullens

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
I believe I've seen how to remove the bloatware somwhere. I think the suggestion said that the system and ATT apps were in the directory system/app or apps/system or something like that. Wish I coudl be more help.

As for rooting, what USB drivers are you using? I found some early on, but I'm not sure they are really the correct drivers.....but I am able to sideload apps. I have not tried installing anything from the SDK.

sd_matto

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Bloatware is found in /system/app. Please be careful WHAT you remove, though, as you can bork/brick your phone if you remove wrong thing (and source code/custom ROMs/custom recoveries are not yet out to help you fix your phone).

I used to have the Thrive, and am now perfectly content on the Phoenix (better color; less scratch perception; cheaper (when bought on eBay)).

As soon as source (or custom recovery) comes out for this phone, I will get back into trying mods for it (other than root and bloat removal). Until then, though, focusing my (minimal) efforts on the Optimus V (which has source, custom ROMs, and custom recoveries).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech