Facebook updating

dmullens

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm trying to find out how to _stop_ facebook from updating. If I want to go to Facebook, I'll run the app. However, even when I'm not running the app, I get update notices in the Notification Area. Since I'm paying for data, I would rather that facebook only use WiFi and not sync or update unless I specify it do so.

BTW, under settings/accounts & Sync I am _not_ syncing Facebook. Yet, it continues to use data (reported by 3g Watchdog) and update the notification area.

Is there somewhere else I can set Facebook to not update, or do I simply have to uninstall the app?

Don Albertson

May 7, 2011
Visit site
There are more setting inside the Facebook widget that you can access via the menu key. I got there by viewing the current item then menu then internal Facebook home which has News Feed, Profile, etc. Press the menu key there and go to settings and you have several choices about what sort of notifications etc. Also a link to Helpful Tips. Right now I only get the news feed updated and at a longish interval.

hal-samti

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm trying to find out how to _stop_ facebook from updating. If I want to go to Facebook, I'll run the app. However, even when I'm not running the app, I get update notices in the Notification Area. Since I'm paying for data, I would rather that facebook only use WiFi and not sync or update unless I specify it do so.

BTW, under settings/accounts & Sync I am _not_ syncing Facebook. Yet, it continues to use data (reported by 3g Watchdog) and update the notification area.

Is there somewhere else I can set Facebook to not update, or do I simply have to uninstall the app?

Why don't you go to settings>Wireless & Networks>Mobile Networks> untick [Data Enabled] on the phone. This will turn off Data over mobile network. That's how i setup my phone to use only Wifi or install droid wall droidwall - DroidWall - Android Firewall - Google Project Hosting to block specific applications or all from 3G or wifi usage. :)

dmullens

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
@Don - thanks. Even after reading your message, I had a hard time finding the settings. Thought they would make it a bit easier.

@hal-samti - There are somethings that I want to update and I don't mind them using 3g data. It seems though that certain programs assume it is okay to use as much data as they want without my permission. Yes, droidwall would be the program I would want, but your phone has to be rooted to use it.

What would be nice is if Android provided some type of droidwall functionality built in, so I could okay which apps I wanted accessing the network...especially via 3g. Still working on it....Sometimes I do shut off 3g completely, but that really isn't the long-term solution for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz